Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Problems Combining UR points between accounts

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 29, 2015, 9:25 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
For more current information on Chase-to-Chase UR transfers, see the wiki & discussion at 11.15.2015 Ultimate Rewards transfer ONLY to own & AU's airline/hotel accounts.
Print Wikipost

Problems Combining UR points between accounts

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2018, 8:50 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by kirkpd
Tried to combine points with spouses acct this am. Both at same address and have transferred points from his account to mine many times before.
Got message that "this account is not eligible to receive points at this time" . This was from a sapphire preferred to a ink business plus acct. Any idea why this would happen?
No idea. I just transferred a substantial number of UR points from my wife's Ink Business Preferred to my CSR without any problem at all 2 days ago.

Regards
Old Dec 30, 2018, 8:53 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Tried to combine points with spouses acct this am. Both at same address and have transferred points from his account to mine many times before.
Got message that "this account is not eligible to receive points at this time" . This was from a sapphire preferred to a ink business plus acct. Any idea why this would happen?
You may wish to peruse this article that specifically addresses the issue you raise (written by FT member pallhedge):

https://pointsyak.com/miles-and-poin...bining-points/
pallhedge likes this.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 1:57 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
.... "this account is not eligible to receive points at this time" . .... Any idea why this would happen?
Weekends are for maintenance. I would try again on a business day before concluding that the problem is specific to the account.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 5:54 pm

Are you supposed to be able to transfer UR points to a Freedom card? I used to...

Hey all, here is my issue that I am looking for some guidance on:

My Personal Chase account - Freedom Card
My Wife's account - CSP
My Business Account - Business Unlimited and Business Cash.

I haven't transferred any points around in a year...maybe 2. I started on my Business account and my Freedom card was showing as a linked card to send points to. So I transferred about 50K points from my Business Cash to my personal Freedom card. That transaction worked. Directly after I went to try to transfer another 50K from my Business Unlimited card but my linked Freedom card had now somehow disappeared. I tried to add it back using the "Add household member/company owner" but every time I try to add it I get "An unexpected error occurred" after putting in my Freedom account # and name.

I get the same thing when trying to transfer from my Wife's account to my Freedom card. I am able to link from my Wife's to my Business cards and vice-versa and transfer, just nothing works to transfer to my Freedom.

This is exceptionally strange because a) I used to be able to do this and b) I *just* did it from one of the business cards as I mention above before it magically removed my card.

I want to make sure that this is supposed to be a supported option before I waste countless hours on the phone with them.
Thanks.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 7:57 am

Originally Posted by BenH
Are you supposed to be able to transfer UR points to a Freedom card? I used to...

Hey all, here is my issue that I am looking for some guidance on:

My Personal Chase account - Freedom Card
My Wife's account - CSP
My Business Account - Business Unlimited and Business Cash.

I haven't transferred any points around in a year...maybe 2. I started on my Business account and my Freedom card was showing as a linked card to send points to. So I transferred about 50K points from my Business Cash to my personal Freedom card. That transaction worked. Directly after I went to try to transfer another 50K from my Business Unlimited card but my linked Freedom card had now somehow disappeared. I tried to add it back using the "Add household member/company owner" but every time I try to add it I get "An unexpected error occurred" after putting in my Freedom account # and name.

I get the same thing when trying to transfer from my Wife's account to my Freedom card. I am able to link from my Wife's to my Business cards and vice-versa and transfer, just nothing works to transfer to my Freedom.

This is exceptionally strange because a) I used to be able to do this and b) I *just* did it from one of the business cards as I mention above before it magically removed my card.

I want to make sure that this is supposed to be a supported option before I waste countless hours on the phone with them.
Thanks.
In your example above, your Ink Cash card CAN combine points onto your Freedom. So move your points onto that card, then onto Freedom.

This begs the question though, why on earth would you move points onto a Freedom card if your wife has a CSP? That's where all the UR points should be going.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 8:10 am
Moderator: Travel Buzz

Originally Posted by pallhedge
In your example above, your Ink Cash card CAN combine points onto your Freedom. So move your points onto that card, then onto Freedom.

This begs the question though, why on earth would you move points onto a Freedom card if your wife has a CSP? That's where all the UR points should be going.
The reason Pallhedge is asking is because the CSP can transfer UR's to all the UR travel partners, but the Freedom cards will not.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 10:29 am

Originally Posted by pallhedge

Are you saying this because you know this to be fact (i.e. this transfer path is a well known one) or only because I stated that I was able to transfer the points the one time?
In either case, I *was* able to transfer the points on that first transaction as my Freedom card was already cached/loaded onto the account from a previous transaction (likely almost 2 years ago).
However, once I did the first transaction from the Business Cash card to my Freedom (which worked), the Freedom card actually disappeared/unlinked from that account. It was when I tried to add it back that I got the errors mentioned.

Originally Posted by StartinSanDiego
The reason Pallhedge is asking is because the CSP can transfer UR's to all the UR travel partners, but the Freedom cards will not.
Yes, thanks...I know this. However I prefer to consolidated everything onto the Freedom which is on my account because it is this site that I log into the most for my accounts so I like to see things there.
If we are going to spend/transfer I know to move them to the CSP first because of its additional benefits.
One final reason is that I have only been keeping the CSP because of the transfer points option, but honestly haven't taken advantage of it in 2 years almost and I've been paying the fee for almost no reason. I keep thinking I am going to cancel the CSP and with that possibility I don't want to risk having all my points there in case something goes wrong.

UPDATE:
I just went back into my (wife's) account this morning and was able to link my Freedom card again and transfer the points.
I guess this was some transient error - very strange since it did the first transfer and then removed that linked card.
It is possible that I was issued a new card (expiration date) since I used the last one, but the card # remained the same.
As they only ask for the account and name, I'm not sure this is it, but possible a consequence of letting it sit dormant for so long.

Hope this helps someone else to just be patient

Last edited by BenH; Jan 18, 2019 at 10:34 am Reason: update
Old Jan 19, 2019, 2:56 pm

Programs: AS 75K (OW), SK Silver (*A), UR, MR
Originally Posted by mia 1/9/2017
And yet in my experience it's possible to transfer points from each of my accounts to my spouse's account every month with no de/re-linking. I did go through a period of errors, in (estimate) 2015, but it's been smooth thereafter.
My same household wife (not that I have another) and I live a simple life. She and I have a Freedom (classic) and a Sapphire (Preferred) respectively (no AU cards), and we use UR points exclusively for 1:1 redemptions at participating airlines off the Sapphire. Every so often (with her explicit consent and sometimes detailed instructions outlined in a signed contract), I combine points from her card to mine to be used for our trips. No problem, I’m happy to report, has ever arisen from such a transfer, including today. Then again, we got the cards (our most recent) precisely 48 months ago and did not yet combine at the time of turmoil to which mia refers. I guess we must have been sailing right through in blissful ignorance of it all.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 10:39 pm

My husband has a Freedom, Ink Plus, and Sapphire Preferred. I have been able to combine points between these accounts for years w/o issue, although did not need to do this often. Tonight was the first time in a while and I got the dreaded "unknown" error message. After trying several fixes already mentioned multiple times without luck, I finally got it to work. I should mention that his Ink is a separate login from the Freedom & Sapphire. Also, I could not unlink any of the cards previously linked; the only option was to add another household member.

Before getting the error, I moved Freedom -> Sapphire. A blog post suggested not moving all points to one card, so I instead tried to move Sapphire -> Ink. No luck. Someone recommended waiting 24 hours, but I took a shortcut and waited until midnight, hoping that's when the site would reset. While I was still not able to transfer Sapphire -> Ink, add an account to combine with, or unlink a card thru the Sapphire login, I logged in thru his Ink account and it appeared to have been reset - I was able to add a household member (himself) then transfer on the first try. Hope this helps.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 5:43 am
mia

Originally Posted by 3hearts
.... Tonight was the first time in a while and I got the dreaded "unknown" error message.....
Errors on weekends or bank holidays may be due to system maintenance. Unless there is an urgent need to complete transaction now, I would not change anything, and simply try again on a business day.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 10:55 am

Programs: not anymore! I'm FREE!
Originally Posted by vanillabean
My same household wife (not that I have another) and I live a simple life. ... Every so often (with her explicit consent and sometimes detailed instructions outlined in a signed contract), I combine points from her card to mine to be used for our trips.
Explicit consent? Detailed instructions? Signed contract?

Is this what being married to a lawyer is like?
Old Jan 29, 2019, 7:31 pm

question on combining ultimate reward points

I used to transfer UR points from my Chase Freedom card to Chase Ink Plus account. However, I canceled and no longer have the Ink Plus card but I was told I can move my Freedom points to a family member UR account.

So I tried to move my Freedom points to my spouse's Sapphire Reserve account but kept getting an error message.

I called Chase customer service and was told the Chase Sapphire Reserve is not eligible to receive transferred points. Is it correct?

If not correct, what can I do to transfer the points?

Thanks,
Old Jan 29, 2019, 8:20 pm
mia

Originally Posted by lililolo
.... told the Chase Sapphire Reserve is not eligible to receive transferred points. Is it correct?....
No, that is not correct. You are able to Combine points with one member of the same household. What error message is displayed?
Old Jun 13, 2019, 10:53 am

Programs: w/+1: AS MVPG; IHG/Marriott Plat; Hilton/BW Diamond; Hertz Prez; SG Silver
Wait Till Next Year To Transfer To Travel Partner

I am an AU on my wife's CSR. I want to transfer points to miles on my UA Mileage Plus account. On the Chase "transfer to travel partner" page, I chose my name and entered my UA#. An error msg said I must call Chase for assistance. The rep told me I must wait until next year for this transfer to be allowed but she didn't know why & opened a ticket. Any insight here?
Old Jun 13, 2019, 11:09 am
mia

Originally Posted by rxgeek
....must wait until next year for this transfer to be allowed ....
Has a transfer been made from your wife's account in 2019? If so, was it to her UA account, someone else's UA account, or to any other airline or hotel?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.