Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

chase has different Verify by visa procedures now for online transactions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

chase has different Verify by visa procedures now for online transactions

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6, 2014, 2:25 am

Programs: UA1K 3MM, AS MVP 75K Gold
Tried to book flights on Lion Air and after filling everything out, it rejects the Visa card. I then realize it requires a Verified by Visa so I call the number and the agent says Lion Air website must be down because they got no notice of a transaction.

I'm confused. How the heck do I get Verified by Visa? I called Chase and they don't know what I'm talking about.
Old Nov 6, 2014, 10:58 am

Programs: UA, VX, QF, EY, VA
Originally Posted by honmani2
Tried to book flights on Lion Air and after filling everything out, it rejects the Visa card. I then realize it requires a Verified by Visa so I call the number and the agent says Lion Air website must be down because they got no notice of a transaction.

I'm confused. How the heck do I get Verified by Visa? I called Chase and they don't know what I'm talking about.
Look one post back:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/23617538-post30.html
Old Nov 9, 2014, 6:06 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Previously top-tier everything, now a happy free agent
Originally Posted by OliverB
It took 3 phone calls to Chase but I finally got a rep ont he line that knew what she was talking about!

If anyone else encounters this same issue, call the following tel. number: 1-800-297-4970

It's an automated process and you'll be able to register a VbV code over the phone.
Sorry for bumping a semi-old thread, but is this PIN number the PIN you would use for cash-withdrawals/advances, or is this Chase's unofficial foray into chip-and-pin?

My apologies--a little confused! Trying to buy a bus ticket on ALSA (Spanish national bus operator), and all my cards keep getting "denied." Chase & AMEX claim they haven't seen any charges try to be approved so don't know what's going on.

Still didn't work after I set up the PIN, though I'm not sure exactly what I would use the PIN for, since last I remember Chase hasn't rolled out chip-and-pin for CSP.
Old Nov 9, 2014, 8:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bj27
Sorry for bumping a semi-old thread, but is this PIN number the PIN you would use for cash-withdrawals/advances, or is this Chase's unofficial foray into chip-and-pin?

My apologies--a little confused! Trying to buy a bus ticket on ALSA (Spanish national bus operator), and all my cards keep getting "denied." Chase & AMEX claim they haven't seen any charges try to be approved so don't know what's going on.

Still didn't work after I set up the PIN, though I'm not sure exactly what I would use the PIN for, since last I remember Chase hasn't rolled out chip-and-pin for CSP.
Chase does not have Chip and PIN. The only major bank has such cards is Barclays.

Please read Post No.1 which quoted my post from another thread and read my post No.17 so you would know what is behind this - why the CSRs do not see any attempt of transaction, if you are talking about buying a ticket online. There are certain things you need to do in order to - hopefully - use your card online successfully with Verify by Visa and this is this thread is for.
Old Nov 10, 2014, 9:30 am

Originally Posted by Happy
Chase does not have Chip and PIN. The only major bank has such cards is Barclays.

Please read Post No.1 which quoted my post from another thread and read my post No.17 so you would know what is behind this - why the CSRs do not see any attempt of transaction, if you are talking about buying a ticket online. There are certain things you need to do in order to - hopefully - use your card online successfully with Verify by Visa and this is this thread is for.
Thanks. I had read them (briefly) but was hoping not to have to call in.

I might try and buy my ticket at an automated ALSA kiosk here in Spain, though if that fails I will call Chase. I really enjoy calling AMEX Platinum but not so much Chase, specifically for the reasons already stated.
Old Nov 10, 2014, 11:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I might try and buy my ticket at an automated ALSA kiosk here in Spain, though if that fails I will call Chase. I really enjoy calling AMEX Platinum but not so much Chase, specifically for the reasons already stated.
If the Kiosk requires PIN, the Chase card most likely would fail. When calling on this subject, the dept (security) that handles it is in Philippines just so you know. The Chase security dept rep would patch you to the Visa rep who also seems based outside US, may be India. On the 3 times I had to deal with them, 1 was semi polite and the other 2 were downright RUDE.
Old Nov 11, 2014, 11:51 am

Programs: UA, VX, QF, EY, VA

There's an entire million page thread on this topic:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credi...signature.html

Calling Chase isn't going to solve your problem. It's unsolvable. Look into the recently released Diners Club Premier card for international travel.

This thread is about online orders where the merchant uses Verified By Visa.
Old Nov 11, 2014, 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
If the Kiosk requires PIN, the Chase card most likely would fail. When calling on this subject, the dept (security) that handles it is in Philippines just so you know. The Chase security dept rep would patch you to the Visa rep who also seems based outside US, may be India. On the 3 times I had to deal with them, 1 was semi polite and the other 2 were downright RUDE.
Yep, you are right. I spent some time on the phone with a Chase rep afterwards and she couldn't offer a solution. I didn't end up asking to be patched through to Security or VISA. I asked if I would still be covered under CSP's Travel Insurance(s) if I paid through Paypal. I am!

ALSA offers payment through Paypal, so I just did that instead.

While I won't be getting the extra 70 points on travel, I didn't feel like dealing with security and/or VISA.

Originally Posted by patrick.barnes
There's an entire million page thread on this topic:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credi...signature.html

Calling Chase isn't going to solve your problem. It's unsolvable. Look into the recently released Diners Club Premier card for international travel.

This thread is about online orders where the merchant uses Verified By Visa.
What a headache. Come on, Chase! (and AMEX for that matter)
Old Nov 23, 2014, 3:13 pm

A data points for what it's worth:

Was just in Barcelona this weekend and attempted to buy tickets at an automated machine (with an attendant helping) for Montserrat (at Placa Espanya station). Chase Sapphire Preferred was denied. Used AMEX instead.

But then, later this weekend we purchased a T-10 ticket (ten-trip ticket) at another station, and put in my CSP. Machine asked for a PIN, and I thought "what the heck, I'll just try the one I set up earlier through Chase" (on the automated number given earlier in this thread).

It WORKED! I checked my account activity and it shows as pending "METRO BARCELONA," and it definitely didn't come through as a cash advance, because my cash advance balance has not budged......

I also never called Chase's security department or let them know I was going to be using the card.

Thoughts on this? Has this happened to anyone else?
Old Nov 28, 2014, 9:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Sadly, like every security related decision it probably came down to money. Implementing 3D Secure apparently cuts online transaction volume almost in half when implemented in the US. I don't see it coming back here unless Visa/MC do some sort of liability shift like they have with EMV, and I feel like that's not going to happen any time soon.

Too bad US consumers get screwed yet again when traveling in the meantime.
Old Nov 29, 2014, 12:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Oh, maybe it's not just a US thing: http://www.theguardian.com/money/201...cation-systems

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.