Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Should I apply for Chase Marriott rewards or stick with CSP?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2014, 8:24 am
Original Poster

Totally new here... this site is complex to navigate as a noobie so I hope this is the right place to post this question!!

I have the CSP but am wondering if I should apply for the Chase Marriott Rewards w/ 70k point offer. I've tried to do the math but have failed many times to see if using the CSP would give me more rewards than the Marriott card.

My wedding (and honeymoon) are coming up this August. For the honeymoon, we are staying at a Marriott in Maui for 8 days and will be spending approx $3k just on room w/ resort fees and taxes (thanks to fam and friends rate!). The 5x points on the Marriott card sound very enticing, especially since nearly all of my and my fiancee's friends are getting married next year so we have a lot of traveling and hotel rooms to book. The biggest potential reward that I noticed through the Marriott card is earning enough points to book a week of vacation with the 120k Southwest RR points for the companion pass. With the amount of money I would have to spend to hit that point amount to book that travel, would it be better to continue utilizing the CSP?

Any recommendations would greatly help!

Last edited by vatche03; May 21, 2014 at 8:25 am Reason: Change title so it is more specific
Old May 21, 2014, 8:38 am

Programs: AA Plat, HH Diamond, SPG Gold

Welcome to FlyerTalk and congratulations on your upcoming marriage! I've moved your query to the Credit Card Programs forum in hopes of gaining more attention from those FlyerTalkers who are most likely to be of assistance. For future reference, you can find this forum listed under "Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs" in the Miles&Points category of the Forum Index.

Forum members will please note that this thread originated at the flame-free Information Desk, and reply accordingly.

Thanks everyone, and good luck to the OP.

~Moderator, Information Desk

Old May 21, 2014, 4:07 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, UA, AS, DL, BA, F9, IHG Plat, HH Gold, CC Gold, SPG Gold, MR Silver
I would get both, but only use the Marriott card to pay for stays at Marriott. Use the CSP for all other charges, as UR are much more valuable and have versatility
Old May 22, 2014, 1:34 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Globalist, M life Gold, IHG Spire
Ahhh, the "what card to get to pay for a wedding" question. Been years since I've seen it. The OP is in a great position: having some huge bills coming up that cannot be avoided, and being able to use those charges to meet the minimum spending on new rewards cards.

Should you get the Marriott card? Are you kidding? You are staying at a Marriott for your honeymoon, of course you get the Marriott card. You can easily meet the minimum spending for the sign up bonus and get a boatload of points, plus another boatload when you use it at the Marriott.

So the real question is if you should use it for anything else? That really depends on whether or not you stay at Marriotts. If you do, then the Marriott card is a great card. If not, then don't bother.

What are really asking is after meeting the Marriott minimum spending, should you stick with it or with CSP? Look at the transfer partners for Ultimate Rewards. Do you use those companies? If not, then CSP is not the card for you.

A lot of people around here think Ultimate Rewards points are the gold standard. Because of the recent massive devaluation of the United Mileageplus program, I disagree with the majority and I don't think UR is so special anymore.

There are 2 threads here in the Chase forum that will help you decide which one is best for you.

Chase Sapphire Preferred - Keep, Downgrade, or Cancel?

70k points, 1 night, no fee 1st yr, Marriott Premier Visa

You have a lot of choices, and that is a great thing!
Old May 23, 2014, 8:50 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, oneworld emerald
Originally Posted by skibum7732
I would get both, but only use the Marriott card to pay for stays at Marriott. Use the CSP for all other charges, as UR are much more valuable and have versatility
Unless you redeem them for MR points, then they're not

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.