FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Should I apply for Chase Marriott rewards or stick with CSP?
Old May 22, 2014, 1:34 am
jn in ca

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Globalist, M life Gold, IHG Spire
Ahhh, the "what card to get to pay for a wedding" question. Been years since I've seen it. The OP is in a great position: having some huge bills coming up that cannot be avoided, and being able to use those charges to meet the minimum spending on new rewards cards.

Should you get the Marriott card? Are you kidding? You are staying at a Marriott for your honeymoon, of course you get the Marriott card. You can easily meet the minimum spending for the sign up bonus and get a boatload of points, plus another boatload when you use it at the Marriott.

So the real question is if you should use it for anything else? That really depends on whether or not you stay at Marriotts. If you do, then the Marriott card is a great card. If not, then don't bother.

What are really asking is after meeting the Marriott minimum spending, should you stick with it or with CSP? Look at the transfer partners for Ultimate Rewards. Do you use those companies? If not, then CSP is not the card for you.

A lot of people around here think Ultimate Rewards points are the gold standard. Because of the recent massive devaluation of the United Mileageplus program, I disagree with the majority and I don't think UR is so special anymore.

There are 2 threads here in the Chase forum that will help you decide which one is best for you.

Chase Sapphire Preferred - Keep, Downgrade, or Cancel?

70k points, 1 night, no fee 1st yr, Marriott Premier Visa

You have a lot of choices, and that is a great thing!