Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase is converting some Mastercards to Visa

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 7, 2015, 7:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: sdsearch
In post 91, sechs explained that:

Chase is only converting their own branded cards [from MC to Visa]. The IHG card was converted the other way [from Visa to MC]; the AGR card, a Mastercard, is staying that way.
Print Wikipost

Chase is converting some Mastercards to Visa

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2014, 6:15 am

Any truth in Ink Plus MC converting to Visa?

Have been searching about downgrading my ink plus MC since the annual fee posted and came across bloggers stating that the Ink Plus will Convert to the Visa Card. Is this true for existing customers with the Ink Plus MC that a new card will be sent to me with the visa logo even though my card shows expiration date of 2016?

Really would like to apply for the ink plus Visa at another time for additional 50k bonus.
Old Jan 21, 2014, 9:54 am

Chase is migrating all cards to Visa. AFAIK they are not currently issuing new MC's. No idea when they'll force you to migrate. I still have a MC CSP.
Old Jan 21, 2014, 10:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by reader2580
Why anyone in this day and age would only accept Mastercard and not Visa too is beyond me. Unless you're a huge company it would hard to find a credit card processor that didn't do both Visa and Mastercard.
My local government ONLY accepts MC for driver license related payment.

Originally Posted by metoo
Have been searching about downgrading my ink plus MC since the annual fee posted and came across bloggers stating that the Ink Plus will Convert to the Visa Card. Is this true for existing customers with the Ink Plus MC that a new card will be sent to me with the visa logo even though my card shows expiration date of 2016?

Really would like to apply for the ink plus Visa at another time for additional 50k bonus.
Better close the existing Ink Plus. You can move the CL to some other Chase cards, no need to be an MC.

Originally Posted by takeshi74
Chase is migrating all cards to Visa. AFAIK they are not currently issuing new MC's. No idea when they'll force you to migrate. I still have a MC CSP.
Same here but I plan to close it when AF will be billed on March 1st.

Some tidbits:
Chase bills AF on the 1st of the anniversary month even your anniversary date might fall on the last few days of the month. You always lose a few weeks of the first free year if your anniversary date falls towards the end of the month. Or, if the fee is not waived, you could see the AF billed BEFORE you even receive your card - happened to me once on the old CO card - I hadn't even seen the card up online, let alone receiving it - yet AF was billed on the 1st of the month, the same date the card was approved! Since then I try to only apply Chase card towards the end of first week of the month.
Old Jan 21, 2014, 10:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Originally Posted by Happy
My local government ONLY accepts MC for driver license related payment.
Sams Club as well.
Old Mar 6, 2014, 2:12 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, DL Gold
The IHG card is showing as a MC now, this doesn't make sense?
Old Apr 14, 2014, 12:03 pm

Chase says they are converting ALL Mastercards to Visa

just got a letter from chase that they are converting my business cards to visa in June. going to have to cancel the cards since my vendor only uses MasterCard and amex for purchases. I buy about 25k a month of inventory
Old Apr 15, 2014, 4:31 am
Suspended

Programs: AA, UA, AS, DL, BA, F9, IHG Plat, HH Gold, CC Gold, SPG Gold, MR Silver
Originally Posted by takeshi74
Not all cards, IHG was just converted from Visa to MC
Old Apr 16, 2014, 10:45 pm

Programs: AA, AGR, DL, MR, WoH, UA
Just got a letter from Chase that they'll be converting my Freedom Mastercard to a Visa this month.

This is gonna be awkward since I already have a Freedom Visa.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 6:49 am

So of all Chase's cards, only IHG will be MasterCards?
Old Apr 17, 2014, 8:01 am

Programs: DL PM, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold
Chase says they are converting ALL Mastercards to Visa

I got an Amtrak card approx 6 wks ago that is a MC
Old Apr 18, 2014, 8:47 am

I think it is all chase BRANDED cards (freedom, ink, slate, sapphire etc) not necessarily partnership / affinity ones. So Amtrak/IHG might still be a MC
Old Apr 18, 2014, 11:49 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum, M life Noir
Originally Posted by budugu
I think it is all chase BRANDED cards (freedom, ink, slate, sapphire etc) not necessarily partnership / affinity ones. So Amtrak/IHG might still be a MC
This is the right answer. IHG will be MC only actually.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 1:12 pm

so would a preferred visa qualify for a bonus due to the product change if I hold a preferred MC?
Old Apr 18, 2014, 10:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum, M life Noir
Originally Posted by g8trgr8t
so would a preferred visa qualify for a bonus due to the product change if I hold a preferred MC?
Not sure what you're asking exactly, but I had the CSP Visa first, PCed it to a Freedom MC and then applied for the CSP MC (when it was available) and got a 2nd CSP sign-up bonus. Others have reported success doing vice versa, but YMMV.
Old Apr 20, 2014, 5:36 pm

I tried to do a product change from Freedom (World MC) to Sapphire and the agent told me that the change could be done but would require an account # change to visa. I immediately stopped him as I did not want to lose the MC.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.