Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase is converting some Mastercards to Visa

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 7, 2015, 7:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: sdsearch
In post 91, sechs explained that:

Chase is only converting their own branded cards [from MC to Visa]. The IHG card was converted the other way [from Visa to MC]; the AGR card, a Mastercard, is staying that way.
Print Wikipost

Chase is converting some Mastercards to Visa

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2014, 4:22 pm

Programs: DL-Dirt Medallion;US-Cast Iron Preferred; HH-Gold; Avis First
Originally Posted by jeanie
I was told by SM that they are gradually changing MC to Visa throughout 2014. So it could be a YMMV situation on when it happens for you. It does sound like it will happen, though.
I have a Chase MC that doesn't expire until 10/14 and just received a new Visa replacement.
Old May 14, 2014, 4:01 pm

No change for me. I have a MC that expired earlier this year and received another MC.
Old May 16, 2014, 1:33 pm

Originally Posted by kenbo
No change for me. I have a MC that expired earlier this year and received another MC.
What card?
Old May 19, 2014, 9:05 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, HH Silver
My MC Freedom is valid through 09/15, but a Visa version arrived in the mail today, along with a letter saying my old MC will only be valid through July 14. I am bummed, I use it all the time at Sam's Club.
Old May 20, 2014, 4:49 pm

Originally Posted by SuperKirby
What card?
Freedom.

Originally Posted by northy989
My MC Freedom is valid through 09/15, but a Visa version arrived in the mail today, along with a letter saying my old MC will only be valid through July 14. I am bummed, I use it all the time at Sam's Club.
Me too. I'm on the lookout for a new MC if/when mine gets converted.
Old May 20, 2014, 5:14 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, HH Silver
Freedom.

I have a US Airways MC at the moment, but I like earning Ultimate Rewards. I guess I could go to Walmart and buy gift cards to use at Sam's with Visa Freedom, but that is another time consuming step.
Old May 22, 2014, 1:42 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Globalist, M life Gold, IHG Spire
I have a B of A Visa, and B of A has been pushing me to "upgrade" the card to a Mastercard. On their website, I see the card as only a Visa, not as a MC as they are offering me. So it does go both ways
Old May 22, 2014, 8:55 am

Decided to proactively cancel my IB MC before they convert it thanks to this thread. Figure if I feel like signing up down the road at least this way I'll still receive the sign up bonus for the IB Visa.
Old May 22, 2014, 12:14 pm

This morning when I went to log into my Chase MC account (2 cards - Freedom and Amtrak Guest Rewards branded), I was greeted with a pop-up about my new Visa. Alarmed, because I didn't know anything about a new Visa (should have read this thread), once I clicked through, I saw a different account number assigned to my Freedom card. When I called, the very nice, very apologetic CSR informed me about the change to Visa. He said a lot of people are calling because they haven't been notified of the impending change. He was able to see that I hadn't received any notice of the change. My card is scheduled to arrive by mid-July. With all the fraud going on, you would think Chase might want to communicate with its customers better.
Old May 22, 2014, 3:39 pm

Exchanging Chase Ink Bold MasterCard for Visa

I've had Ink Bold MC for about 1.5 years now. It's fine, except I don't get the 1% Visa Savings Edge savings that Visa cards get. I've read that all the MasterCards will be exchanged for Visas in the future, but right now I am missing out on the 1% VSE at Staples. Can I just call Chase and ask them to give me the Visa version? Or maybe if I "lose" my card, they'll replace it with Visa? When my CSP got compromised, they sent me a replacement with the chip in it. I got the chipped card before most other people did.
Old May 22, 2014, 10:15 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Globalist, M life Gold, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by nrdk
Decided to proactively cancel my IB MC before they convert it thanks to this thread. Figure if I feel like signing up down the road at least this way I'll still receive the sign up bonus for the IB Visa.
^

That is a very smart strategy
Old Jun 14, 2014, 3:28 pm

Does anyone know when the old Ink Mastercard will be reissued as Visa?

Since MC and Visa are different products, I would like to close my Ink MC before they convert to Visa, so that I can get the signup bonus again.

Does anyone know when the old Ink MC will be converted?
Old Jun 14, 2014, 6:58 pm

Originally Posted by Rommie2k6
Since MC and Visa are different products, I would like to close my Ink MC before they convert to Visa, so that I can get the signup bonus again.

Does anyone know when the old Ink MC will be converted?
Mine have all already been converted.
Old Jun 15, 2014, 10:45 am

Programs: AS, AA Gold, and Hilton
Freedom.

It will certainly hurt my spend with Chase. I usually do 1K per month at Sam's with my CSP and will have to use a Citi MC. By the way my renewal came up and I cancelled the CSP for this reason.
Old Jun 15, 2014, 11:47 am

I called Chase and they said all MC cards are scheduled to be changed by mid Aug 2014. Mine has not apparently, but I'm taking no chances. So if anyone is still holding on to MC cards, cancel them ASAP!!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.