Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase is converting some Mastercards to Visa

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 7, 2015, 7:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: sdsearch
In post 91, sechs explained that:

Chase is only converting their own branded cards [from MC to Visa]. The IHG card was converted the other way [from Visa to MC]; the AGR card, a Mastercard, is staying that way.
Print Wikipost

Chase is converting some Mastercards to Visa

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2014, 3:46 pm

Programs: AA, AGR, DL, MR, WoH, UA
Originally Posted by rgAAFT
I don't get it then... I have a IHG hotel card issued by Chase it was a visa signature but a couple months ago was auto converted to World MasterCard ?
The title is a little misleading.

Chase is only converting their own branded cards. The IHG card was converted the other way, as you experienced; the AGR card, a Mastercard, is staying that way.
Old Jun 30, 2014, 9:10 am

Programs: DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, Starwood Gold, Avis President's Club
I liked my Chase Ink Bold MC for my cable bill (5x) and renting cars in Ireland (insurance waived)...will new VISA offer same benefits as MC?
Old Jul 16, 2014, 8:51 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glb, MR Plat
I just realized my Ink Plus is still a MC while my Bold was converted. Anybody still on MC? Trying to hold on for another week for statement close to get the points then cancel before the conversion.
Old Jul 18, 2014, 1:34 pm

Perhaps this is a dumb question- I currently have Chase Freedom MC and was told they're sending me a Visa by August. I asked the rep if I could be eligible for the same bonus points as the new sign-ups, since this is a new product. They said no, but that I could apply for Freedom now before I'm given a new card as a Visa.

I have had Freedom MC longer than any other card (in fact, it's the only card in my wallet more than 1 year old at the moment), so I do NOT want to lose that history. I assume there's no way for me to get the bonus points without canceling?
Old Jul 18, 2014, 2:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum, M life Noir
Originally Posted by dboston1
Perhaps this is a dumb question- I currently have Chase Freedom MC and was told they're sending me a Visa by August. I asked the rep if I could be eligible for the same bonus points as the new sign-ups, since this is a new product. They said no, but that I could apply for Freedom now before I'm given a new card as a Visa.

I have had Freedom MC longer than any other card (in fact, it's the only card in my wallet more than 1 year old at the moment), so I do NOT want to lose that history. I assume there's no way for me to get the bonus points without canceling?
That's actually an interesting question. I would definitely not close that Freedom MC. You may be able to apply for the Freedom Visa with the Freedom MC still open (and claim you want the Visa Signature benefits like 2-for-1 tickets at Fandango, etc.), but it's very likely Chase will deny you.

If you're just starting out with credit cards though, which it sounds like you are, you should aim for higher bonus cards like the CSP.
Old Jul 19, 2014, 10:02 am

I currently have Chase Freedom MC and was told they're sending me a Visa by August.
Based on this, I'd guess that the ship has already sailed on conversion that you wouldn't be eligible for the bonus on a Freedom Visa.

As said, if you're chasing opening bonuses, the Freedom is small potatoes. There are better options.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 11:43 am

Programs: AA BA CO DL UA US
Originally Posted by sechs

Chase is only converting their own branded cards. The IHG card was converted the other way, as you experienced; the AGR card, a Mastercard, is staying that way.
Why does Chase do that? Converting some from Visa to Mastercard and vise versa.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 11:50 am

Originally Posted by jjbri
I liked my Chase Ink Bold MC for my cable bill (5x) and renting cars in Ireland (insurance waived)...will new VISA offer same benefits as MC?
the 5X bonus is the same, not sure about the insurance. Do you mean using it to get secondary insurance?....I hear that CSP has a new benefit of primary insurance.....but many of those insurance benefits don't apply for certain international countries (Ireland may be one of them) be sure to read the fine print in the terms of the card benefits.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 2:54 pm

Originally Posted by opus2002
Why does Chase do that? Converting some from Visa to Mastercard and vise versa.
As I understand, Chase has an agreement with Visa for their cards, and IHG has an agreement with Mastercard.

It's all about the ducats.
Old Aug 12, 2014, 10:56 pm

Originally Posted by bribro
That's actually an interesting question. I would definitely not close that Freedom MC. You may be able to apply for the Freedom Visa with the Freedom MC still open (and claim you want the Visa Signature benefits like 2-for-1 tickets at Fandango, etc.), but it's very likely Chase will deny you.

If you're just starting out with credit cards though, which it sounds like you are, you should aim for higher bonus cards like the CSP.
Why do you think Chase will deny him? Isn't the Visa Freedom seen as a different product form the MC Freedom?
Old Aug 13, 2014, 7:31 pm

Programs: Oodles of 'em
My Freedom MC is the first line of credit I ever opened (originally converted automatically from a student credit card from college). I have a sneaky feeling this MC->V conversion will wipe out my oldest line of credit. I hope I'm wrong!
Old Aug 13, 2014, 7:54 pm

Programs: Hilton Plastic, Delta Silver Emeritus
Originally Posted by EfficientMiler
My Freedom MC is the first line of credit I ever opened (originally converted automatically from a student credit card from college). I have a sneaky feeling this MC->V conversion will wipe out my oldest line of credit. I hope I'm wrong!
Nope. Mine says member since 1997- 2 or 3 bank mergers ago.

Even my 16 year old daughter's AU card says member since 1997.
Old Aug 13, 2014, 10:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum, M life Noir
Originally Posted by fr33b13
Why do you think Chase will deny him? Isn't the Visa Freedom seen as a different product form the MC Freedom?
With Chase, a Visa vs. MC version of the same card is generally considered a "different product" for the purposes of earning the sign-up bonus. However, I have read several data points of people applying for a Visa when they have the MC version open (or vice versa) and getting denied since they already have the card.
Old Aug 20, 2014, 10:36 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Globalist, M life Gold, IHG Spire

Thank you. 7 pages of this and you explained it better in one sentence.

I have been given NO notification that my "Continental converted to United" MC is getting changed.

As I understand, Chase has an agreement with Visa for their cards, and IHG has an agreement with Mastercard.

It's all about the ducats.
Yup. From what I read, in the agreement Visa is giving Chase a bonus (in the form of a discount) after Chase gets a certain % of their card volume on the Visa system. A discount of even a small fraction of 1% can add up to big bucks.

If I had a bunch of autopays set up that I'd have to change, I'd be pretty unhappy that I had to re-setup those autopays just to pad Chase's bottom line.
Old Jan 7, 2015, 8:59 am

Programs: UA AA DL SW Marriott
Not yet converted from MC to Visa

I forgot to cancel the bold MC. But I have not yet received conversion notice. Anyone in the same boat?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.