Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase is converting some Mastercards to Visa

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 7, 2015, 7:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: sdsearch
In post 91, sechs explained that:

Chase is only converting their own branded cards [from MC to Visa]. The IHG card was converted the other way [from Visa to MC]; the AGR card, a Mastercard, is staying that way.
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14, 2013, 8:51 pm
Original Poster

Was told by a CSR yesterday that Chase is converting ALL Mastercards to Visas by the end of next year - no exceptions.
Old Nov 15, 2013, 9:40 am

doesn't make any difference to me! Unless of course they start treating the Visa's as new products from the Mastercards.. which I thought I heard that they were for the Ink products.
Old Nov 15, 2013, 1:06 pm

Programs: AA plt 2 mm, Marriott LTT, HH dia
CSRs have been known to be wrong. I hope that is the case here.

Hopefully, one of the bloggers or others with inside sources at the upper levels of Chase can confirm or deny this. I applied for a CSP MC in May before they stopped offering them. If this is true, I would cancel this card before they could issue me a Visa in the hope I could get the bonus again by applying for a CSP Visa.

Thanks for the heads up!
Old Nov 15, 2013, 1:58 pm

Originally Posted by jeanie
CSRs have been known to be wrong. I hope that is the case here.

This.

Last edited by mia; Nov 15, 2013 at 2:30 pm Reason: Please do not quote the entire text of multi-paragraph posts
Old Nov 15, 2013, 2:32 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
MasterCard is a public company. I expect there would be some announcement if their relationship with JP Morgan Chase were ending, because of the adverse affect on MasterCard's earnings.
Old Nov 15, 2013, 3:08 pm

Programs: Chase Ultimate Rewards
This is not news. Chase and Visa announced a partnership a few months ago that outlined, among other news, a significant shift of card volume to Visa.

From Marketwatch:

Chase Merchant Services combines the capabilities of JPMorgan Chase's acquiring business, support functions and extensive card portfolio with a customized processing solution that Visa and JPMorgan Chase will create using Visa's network, VisaNet.

As part of the agreement, JPMorgan Chase also will shift additional credit and debit card volume to Visa, driving more transactions on the Visa network.
Chase has also signaled that its MasterCard-issued business cards, such as the Ink line, will transition to Visa cards. When a MC Ink card expires, it will be reissued as a Visa card.

In this case, I believe that the CSR was on the money.
Old Nov 15, 2013, 4:56 pm

I agree with augustus21, my guess is that this would be for new accounts only by the end of the year. Re-issuing all existing MC cards at the same time would be expensive for Chase. I bet they wait until the card expires.

I have been wrong before, though.
Old Nov 16, 2013, 8:06 pm

Programs: UA silver
I have an explorer MC... This might make shopping at Sam's a PITA
Old Nov 16, 2013, 10:47 pm

I just went over to the MC site, and there weren't any Chase cards listed in the searches for personal or business cards.

Actually, I didn't see any Citi cards listed, either. I have a Citi AA MC. Interesting.

I mainly saw Barclays cards.
Old Nov 17, 2013, 8:50 am

Programs: AS, AA Gold, and Hilton
Originally Posted by jeanie
I just went over to the MC site, and there weren't any Chase cards listed in the searches for personal or business cards.

Actually, I didn't see any Citi cards listed, either. I have a Citi AA MC. Interesting.

I mainly saw Barclays cards.
Almost all my Citi cards are Mastercard, Preferred, and Premier. I just got replacements on both in the last 30 days with chips in the cards. So it looks like they plan on keeping the ones they have? The only Visa I have is a Forward card and it's the oldest. Now my Chase cards are almost completely reversed only 1 Mastercard out of 5. So yes Visa seems to have Chase on board. lol
Old Nov 17, 2013, 7:57 pm

FYI, I sent an SM to Chase to ask about this. Their website says they will respond in 4 hours. It is well past that point now, with no response.

I basically just said that I really liked having a CSP MC. Then I asked for confirmation one way or the other on whether I would be able to keep it as a MC.

Maybe they are researching it.
Old Nov 18, 2013, 3:38 am

Originally Posted by ZontarTheThingFromVenus
Was told by a CSR yesterday that Chase is converting ALL Mastercards to Visas by the end of next year - no exceptions.
Well, ZontarTheThingFromVenus, you were right all along! I was hoping the agent you spoke with was mistaken, but I got the response below from Chase today. Thank you so much for the heads up! I really appreciate it!

I have 3 Chase MC accounts: CSP, Ink Plus and Ink Bold. I wonder if I should try to downgrade or cancel before the switch. Can an Ink Plus or Bold be downgraded to a Ink Classic or Cash if the account has been open less than a year?

Thanks.

Dear Jeanie,

Thank you for contacting Chase about your account ending
in xxxx.

I would like to inform you that your account is not yet
changed to a Visa card. However, it will be changed to a
Visa credit card. You will be notified about it prior to
this change.

If you have any further questions, please reply using the
Secure Message Center.

Thank you,
Old Nov 18, 2013, 7:58 am

Well this brings for an interesting discussion. I assume if they change us to an Ink Visa from Ink MC we won't receive the bonus, however I've heard previous rumors (and confirmation) of people getting a second sign up bonus for Ink when it was the Visa and they previously had the MC.
Old Nov 20, 2013, 12:41 pm

Well, in my first SM to Chase I asked if my CSP MC would be converted to Visa in the next few weeks. I posted the reply a couple of posts up, and they ignored the timing aspect of the conversion in the response. So I asked again. It took 2 days to get a reply this time. There was no real answer given this time, either.

Dear Jeanie,

Thank you for taking the time to contact us again in
regards to your inquiry about the switch from Mastercard
to Visa.

Please be advised that the change from Mastercard to Visa
is account specific, and we are unable to confirm any
particular date range when it will be effective on your
account.

I would like to reiterate that if your account is going to
be switched to the Visa card you will be notified prior to
the change.

If you have any further questions, please reply using the
Secure Message Center.

Sincerely,
Old Nov 24, 2013, 7:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
I hope my Amtrak MC won't be converted.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.