Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase is converting some Mastercards to Visa

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 7, 2015, 7:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: sdsearch
In post 91, sechs explained that:

Chase is only converting their own branded cards [from MC to Visa]. The IHG card was converted the other way [from Visa to MC]; the AGR card, a Mastercard, is staying that way.
Print Wikipost

Chase is converting some Mastercards to Visa

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2014, 11:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Rommie2k6
I called Chase and they said all MC cards are scheduled to be changed by mid Aug 2014. Mine has not apparently, but I'm taking no chances. So if anyone is still holding on to MC cards, cancel them ASAP!!!!
What would the benefit of cancelling them now be?
Old Jun 15, 2014, 12:59 pm

Programs: AA, AGR, DL, MR, WoH, UA
Originally Posted by WIRunner
What would the benefit of cancelling them now be?
Attempting to churn sign-up bonuses, since Chase sees the Mastercard and Visa versions of the same card as different products. Cancel MC now, apply for Visa version later.
Old Jun 15, 2014, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by sechs
Attempting to churn sign-up bonuses, since Chase sees the Mastercard and Visa versions of the same card as different products. Cancel MC now, apply for Visa version later.
Not always the best advice. There are some cards that do not have a current equivalent. I have the old Continental Presidential Plus Card, there are benefits that card has that are not matched by a current card. I'm sure that some others will be in that same boat. Signup bonuses or not, it would not be a wise move on my part.
Old Jun 21, 2014, 8:26 am

I've been missing out on the 1% Visa Edge with Ink at Staples, as I have Ink MC. If I were to lose my MC now, would they replace it with a Visa?
Old Jun 21, 2014, 8:43 am

I have a Visa and a MC Freedom. Should I convert my Visa into a Visa Signature and hope that they allow my MC to be converted into a regular Visa? Or better yet, ask my MC to be converted to a Visa Signature? I would like to keep both freedom cards if possible..

Thanks

Last edited by Buckaroo123; Jun 21, 2014 at 8:46 am Reason: durr.
Old Jun 21, 2014, 11:55 am

Originally Posted by WIRunner
Not always the best advice. There are some cards that do not have a current equivalent. I have the old Continental Presidential Plus Card, there are benefits that card has that are not matched by a current card. I'm sure that some others will be in that same boat. Signup bonuses or not, it would not be a wise move on my part.
That wasn't my advice. Just an answer to the question.

Folks should always carefully weight closing or applying for a credit card.
Old Jun 21, 2014, 12:02 pm

Originally Posted by Buckaroo123
I have a Visa and a MC Freedom. Should I convert my Visa into a Visa Signature and hope that they allow my MC to be converted into a regular Visa? Or better yet, ask my MC to be converted to a Visa Signature? I would like to keep both freedom cards if possible.
My MC Freedom has already been converted. I switched my existing Visa Freedom to signature card shortly afterwards, primarily so that it would be easier to tell the two cards apart.

Chase would have had no apparent problem with me having two Freedom (non-signature) Visas, so the conversion does not appear to be necessary just to have two cards. There are plenty of reasons to convert to Visa Signature, but this isn't one of them.
Old Jun 21, 2014, 3:19 pm

Programs: DL, BA, AA
Originally Posted by DaveInLA
I've been missing out on the 1% Visa Edge with Ink at Staples, as I have Ink MC. If I were to lose my MC now, would they replace it with a Visa?
They just replaced my Ink MC with Visa. I then registered for Visa Edge. You should be getting yours soon.
Old Jun 21, 2014, 7:21 pm

Originally Posted by worldtravels

They just replaced my Ink MC with Visa. I then registered for Visa Edge. You should be getting yours soon.
You just received it in the mail one day without morning? Or did you lose yours first? Or did you call to have it changed to Visa?
Old Jun 22, 2014, 7:29 am

Originally Posted by DaveInLA
You just received it in the mail one day without morning? Or did you lose yours first? Or did you call to have it changed to Visa?
You shouldn't just get a Visa with no notice. Chase said they'd mail a letter 45 in advance of converting my card (due to some banking rule apparently). So if you report the card lost, I bet you will still get a replacement MC. If you really want the Visa soon, I'd just ask Chase or apply for it.
Old Jun 22, 2014, 10:54 am
Suspended

Programs: AA, UA, AS, DL, BA, F9, IHG Plat, HH Gold, CC Gold, SPG Gold, MR Silver
Originally Posted by rrgg
You shouldn't just get a Visa with no notice. Chase said they'd mail a letter 45 in advance of converting my card (due to some banking rule apparently). So if you report the card lost, I bet you will still get a replacement MC. If you really want the Visa soon, I'd just ask Chase or apply for it.
Shouldn't no, but if you read this thread that is what is happening to some people
Old Jun 22, 2014, 12:58 pm

You certainly notice with they change the account number online. A notice should appear when they do that.

I've heard of people getting the MC to Visa conversion upon request, but you're also still in the unique position of being able to apply for the Visa version and qualifying for opening bonuses. How you go is up to you.
Old Jun 22, 2014, 2:45 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, HH Diamond
My CSP MC was used fraudulently. Chase shut it down and replaced it with a Visa. I requested a MC instead but they said not possible.
Old Jun 26, 2014, 4:59 am

Programs: AA HH Gold SPG Gold BA
I don't get it then... I have a IHG hotel card issued by Chase it was a visa signature but a couple months ago was auto converted to World MasterCard ?
Old Jun 26, 2014, 3:45 pm

When I opened a Chase Checking account, he explained to me how all the Chase cards are now Visa. So I said but my IHG Rewards is now a MasterCard, and showed him the new shiny MC. He was confused, and called someone.

The only answer he could get was, while Chase is changing to Visa, IHG wanted to change to Mastercard, and it was up to IHG, not Chase.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.