Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

[Live] Chase BA 100,000 Avios Visa ($20K spend)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 11, 2014, 2:07 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: philemer
Follow discussion in this thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase-ultimate-rewards/1489178-consolidated-chase-ba-visa-now-50k-75k-100k.html

The 100K offer with staggered spend is live again. (9/17/15)

Additional discussion can be found here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase...-75k-100k.html

50K, 75K or 100K offer https://creditcards.chase.com/a1/ba/nonaep?CELL=6H8X

Public link on Chase.com
https://creditcards.chase.com/credit...H0&list=4,2,1&

50,000 Avios after $2000 in purchases within the first 3 months
25,000 Avios after an additional $8000 in purchases within the first year
25,000 Avios after an additional $10000 in purchases within the first year
(Thus, a total of $20000 spend for 100,000 Avios)

Annual fee $95 NOT waived
Card earns 1 Avios/$ on everyday spend

Warning: Avios do not work like other types of miles and points
The British Airways system is distance based, priced per segment, with very high fees and fuel surcharges possible, depending on the airline flown. In particular, redemptions for British Airways flights are often the worst value. Therefore, one of the most popular uses of points is for short-haul flights on partner airlines.

Make sure you understand the program thoroughly before you apply for this card, as whining may be considered off-topic. Most questions and advice have already been given within this thread.

See also:
Your guide to spending Avios | 2014
Booking Alaska Airlines with Avios
Print Wikipost

[Live] Chase BA 100,000 Avios Visa ($20K spend)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2012, 12:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by amolkold
It must be on BA metal, so I don't know how you would do an RTW since everything goes through London. The outbound has to originate in the US and the return has to go back to the US.
Duh.... You are correct, however, I could do, PHX-LHR-BKK-SYD-SIN-LHR-PHX now, can stops be made on this route, to visit london, BKK,SYD,SIN?
Old Dec 22, 2012, 1:22 am

Programs: DL PM, UA PS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by FlightNurse
Duh.... You are correct, however, I could do, PHX-LHR-BKK-SYD-SIN-LHR-PHX now, can stops be made on this route, to visit london, BKK,SYD,SIN?
Well, BA stopped flying the BKK-SYD sector, so you could only do LHR-SYD via SIN nowadays.

That being said, I'm not too sure, BA always advertises stopovers in LHR, but the SIN route is a special example. Keep in mind that a stopover in SIN will increase the price dramatically. For PHX-LHR(stop)-SIN(stop)-SYD-SIN-LHR-PHX, you are looking at 465K Avios in First + fuel surcharges + UK APD. In business, 310K Avios.
Old Dec 22, 2012, 3:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Well, BA stopped flying the BKK-SYD sector, so you could only do LHR-SYD via SIN nowadays.

That being said, I'm not too sure, BA always advertises stopovers in LHR, but the SIN route is a special example. Keep in mind that a stopover in SIN will increase the price dramatically. For PHX-LHR(stop)-SIN(stop)-SYD-SIN-LHR-PHX, you are looking at 465K Avios in First + fuel surcharges + UK APD. In business, 310K Avios.
YICKS.... I think I need to rethink that one.
Old Dec 22, 2012, 3:33 am

Programs: DL PM, UA PS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
YICKS.... I think I need to rethink that one.
And the SIN stopover doesn't add much anyway. With no stopovers or just the London stopover, you're looking at 450K in First, 300K in business. Remember, you get charged per segment -- PHX-LHR is 25k one-way in coach, LHR-SYD is 50k. Now double for business or triple for first.
Old Dec 22, 2012, 5:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

And the SIN stopover doesn't add much anyway. With no stopovers or just the London stopover, you're looking at 450K in First, 300K in business. Remember, you get charged per segment -- PHX-LHR is 25k one-way in coach, LHR-SYD is 50k. Now double for business or triple for first.
I am new to the world of Avios, so I guess I need to rethink our BA trips... Maybe I'll use the Avios on a partner, but I do not want the companion certs to go to waste... Maybe BA will have another J sale like they did this year from the states to the UK...
Old Dec 22, 2012, 6:52 am

Originally Posted by lwildernorva
Calendar year so unless you've got some big purchases planned for the next ten days, hold off until January 1.
Originally Posted by TheBOSman
Even if you did, it would be pretty difficult to max the account and pay it off enough times this year to hit $30k! Plus I think the companion cert would be valid longer if earned next year as well.
If you don't have any immediate use for the companion pass, it's best to cross $30K sometime in December. I won't say the last day, but maybe right around now. If you cross $30K today, you can use the companion pass sometime up to Dec. 2014.
Thanks everyone!!!
It seems I'm at $26.5K right now. $30K shouldn't be a problem I think...
However, does anyone know if my statement needs to close in order for my purchases to be included in the $30K?
My statement closes January 2nd...
I'm asking since you never know what kind of sneaky T&C there is...
Old Dec 22, 2012, 8:52 am

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by Big Mac
Thanks everyone!!!
It seems I'm at $26.5K right now. $30K shouldn't be a problem I think...
However, does anyone know if my statement needs to close in order for my purchases to be included in the $30K?
My statement closes January 2nd...
I'm asking since you never know what kind of sneaky T&C there is...
The T&Cs for the companion voucher are here. Since the T&Cs refer to a "Spending Target" that must be reached by December 31 of a qualifying year, I'd think you'd be fine. Your bigger problem could be when the charge is actually posted with Chase. To be certain, you might want to meet your target by December 29 or 30 (with posting because of the weekend, possible on December 31). I'd be very leery of buying anything after 2 p.m. on New Year's Eve to meet the spending requirement. Might count, might not. If you're spending $30K, no reason to get tripped up by a couple hundred dollars although I think there's a strong argument that the posting would still show that the spending occurred within the calendar year and thus was eligible to meet the target.
Old Dec 22, 2012, 11:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I am new to the world of Avios, so I guess I need to rethink our BA trips... Maybe I'll use the Avios on a partner, but I do not want the companion certs to go to waste... Maybe BA will have another J sale like they did this year from the states to the UK...
You really need to rethink about how much CASH out of pocket you would incur, if you "do not want the companion certs to go to waste" - it may be like you save 150K while incur $5K cash out of pocket (just an off-the-cuff example). Them's the peril of not fully understand a program in details and just followed the "highlighted" benefits blissfully - the bank and the airline would not voluntarily tell you all the nasty details upfront, naturally. It is up to you to figure this out before plunking down a high spend on a card in order to earn the "perceived" benefit.

Since Nov 2011 devaluation, BA Avios has turned into a de factor best SHORT HAUL program and probably the worst LONG HAUL program because it is now a distance + segment based program - as demonstrated by your route in mind, it can become ridiculously expensive when you use it for a Long Haul trip.

Even before the devaluation the 2-4-1 was a poor value for folks live on the East Coast. It was an OK value for those live in West Coast largely due to the many direct routes BA operates and the abundant availability (due to the high cash outlay to redeem such!) It is more like paying a coach ticket price to get sit in biz class when redeem the 2-4-1 from West Coast to Europe. What you save in Avios you also at the same time forfeit what you may earn if paying for a coach ticket. A double loss as you would need to shell out the similar cash for your award.

You would be much better off to concentrate your efforts in acquiring other program's miles to achieve your trip to Australia. Even DL SkyMiles would do much better - 150K DL SkyMiles on Virgin to Australia with a much better flat bed product than BA's. DL allows you to have a stopover and an open jaw. Dont be deterred by the perception of SkyPesos. DL actually has the best availability to Australia via its partner Virgin, and at this moment DL does NOT charge YQ on that redemption.

If your goal is to Australia, with stops en-route, you may want to take a look of AA's Explorer award thru the very helpful dedicated thread in AA forum. You can find the link in the STICKY of FAQ. It is a distance based award but much much cheaper cost than the BA program. You could go via HKG therefore opens up CX and QF possibility.

Last edited by Happy; Dec 22, 2012 at 11:08 am
Old Dec 22, 2012, 12:00 pm

Originally Posted by StartinSanDiego
The companion cert is valid 2 years from the issue date, no matter what day it is issued. It does take 4-6 weeks to receive it after it is issued, though, so you have a bit under 2 years to book and travel.
The day it is issued is the same day it is received. It appears in your on-line BAEC account; there is no physical delivery. There is no 4-6 week lag between issuance and receipt.

However, there is a lag between reaching the $30k spend and the appearance of the voucher in your account. This lag varies, but the average is a week or two (sometimes coinciding with the monthly closing date of your card).
Old Dec 22, 2012, 5:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Anyone know if use of the companion pass requires award availability for the companion? I.e, if there is 1 award seat available, can the card member get that and still add the companion? Thanks.
Old Dec 22, 2012, 5:58 pm

Originally Posted by dhuey
Anyone know if use of the companion pass requires award availability for the companion? I.e, if there is 1 award seat available, can the card member get that and still add the companion? Thanks.
There must be award availability for both passengers, in the same class of service, on the same itinerary.

From the Terms & Conditions:

"The voucher may only be used for bookings, which are strictly subject to availability and BA offers no guarantee that Members will be able to book for a Companion on any specific flight. "
Old Dec 23, 2012, 9:50 pm

Originally Posted by Steve in Olympia
There must be award availability for both passengers, in the same class of service, on the same itinerary.

From the Terms & Conditions:

"The voucher may only be used for bookings, which are strictly subject to availability and BA offers no guarantee that Members will be able to book for a Companion on any specific flight. "
Thanks. I read that in the T&C and I wasn't sure exactly what BA meant by availability (seat available or award available)? You're probably right.
Old Dec 24, 2012, 5:33 am

Anyone get this card in spring 2011, cancel it, and then get this deal? Or is it only 2010 card holders that are able to get this?
Old Dec 24, 2012, 8:06 am

Originally Posted by bobby21
Anyone get this card in spring 2011, cancel it, and then get this deal? Or is it only 2010 card holders that are able to get this?
I can't recall the specific dates, but my best guess is that I got the card in fall 2011 (50k miles deal) and cancelled it in summer 2012. I reapplied successfully a few weeks ago. It took a couple of weeks to process my application.
Old Dec 25, 2012, 12:35 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Starwood Gold
So, I was just approved for the card after canceling in Dec. 2010. So, I am past the two years that I have heard before for Chase re-applications, but it seems that a few here in the forum are quite a bit under the two year mark.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.