Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

United MileagePlus Club Card, 1st Year Annual Fee Waived, Tied to United Status?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 25, 2015, 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RNE
How do I get the first-year free offer for the United Club card?

There is no foolproof method. As of January 2016, anecdotal evidence strongly suggests that the first-year-free offer (as opposed to the standard offer with $395 AF, minus $100 credit with first purchase) is targeted at UA elites and former paid Club members.

In prior years, some of the following links gave non-elites access to the first-year-free offer. Current odds of success appear to be low.
Regardless of the method used, you will need to log into your UA account to see the offer available to you.

How do I find/apply for the United MileagePlus Club Business Card?

https://www.theexplorercard.com/Club50kAF

Go to www.theexplorercard.com, then either
  • Click "Are you a business owner?" in the top right then "Learn about the MileagePlus Club Business Card" in the right column.
  • Click "Compare to the MileagePlus Club Card" in the right column then "Compare to the MileagePlus Club Business Card" in the right column.

After logging into your United account, you may be targeted for the annual fee waiver on the business version of the card.
Print Wikipost

United MileagePlus Club Card, 1st Year Annual Fee Waived, Tied to United Status?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2015, 12:35 pm

Originally Posted by LETTERBOY
You're not missing anything, unfortunately. Only sign-up bonus is a $100 statement credit. For a card with a $395 annual fee...
Which is why it's always better to work your way to the first-year-free offer.
Old Jan 15, 2015, 6:53 pm

I've seen conflicting reports of this in this thread, in other threads on FT, and in various locations on the internet (many of which were people answering the following question, without having actually done it themselves to confirm)...

Do we know for sure if you can do a product conversion (in this case an "upgrade") from the United Explorer Card to the United Club Card without incurring a hard pull?

Has anyone actually done it to confirm?

I mention the hard pull because on some other sites, there's mention that the "upgrade" incurs a hard pull. Then others say it doesn't (because product conversions typically don't, since they aren't an application for new credit). The others say it does because it's upgrading to a more premium card. Etc. Etc. Etc.

I plan to give this a try myself, but I won't be able to answer this question for me / everyone else here until 13 months later (thanks Credit CARD Act). Was hoping to get this answered sooner than that.

Thanks!
Old Jan 15, 2015, 9:12 pm

Programs: UA-Gold; Avis-First; Hertz-PC;Marriott-Plat;
Smile

While they won't do a hard pull, you won't get the sign up offerings like the 100.00 USD statement credit nor the 395.00 USD annual fee waived for the first year. How do I know this? Because I called Chase on my United Explorer card before applying for the MileagePlus Club Card separately (which I did and now have both but am closing the Explorer card at annual fee billing time since I'm more than six months from the time I was billed the 95 bucks in 2014 which means it's 100% non refundable now).
So, for the sign up offerings on the Club Card, you'll want to apply for it as a new card, given your credit worthiness is there, of course.

Makes better sense?
Old Jan 15, 2015, 9:35 pm

Originally Posted by akonradi
This is tricky. My additional advice would be to make sure the dust settles after getting your MileagePlus Club cc (i.e. wait until you get the actual Club Card and not just the Club CREDIT card). I'm Gold with United sooo, as soon as I got the Club cc, I used that link to try and bridge with Hertz and the Presidential Circle Elevate status but it confirmed Five Star instead (I didn't wait for the dust to settle on my United Club bits and pieces yet so the system only saw my Mileage Plus Gold status). Now, if you're Plat, 1k or Global, no problem. You'd get the Prez Circle anyway, Club cc or not.

Resolution for me to be determined since it takes 3-5 days for whomever to approve the Five Star status (based on what's stated on the link after submitting). Will see what pans out then escalate to fix since no one at Hertz/United/Chase seems to know what to do in my situation with this new partner offering.
Old Jan 15, 2015, 10:31 pm

Originally Posted by MASTERPC
While they won't do a hard pull, you won't get the sign up offerings like the 100.00 USD statement credit nor the 395.00 USD annual fee waived for the first year. How do I know this? Because I called Chase on my United Explorer card before applying for the MileagePlus Club Card separately (which I did and now have both but am closing the Explorer card at annual fee billing time since I'm more than six months from the time I was billed the 95 bucks in 2014 which means it's 100% non refundable now).
So, for the sign up offerings on the Club Card, you'll want to apply for it as a new card, given your credit worthiness is there, of course.

Makes better sense?
Indeed, it does.

I'm less worried about the statement credit, or the annual fee waiver (I never seem to qualify for that offer when I check my MileagePlus account), though. I'm more interested in the card since it technically offers discounted club membership, and I do like the 1.5 miles per dollar spent everywhere.

Unfortunately, do you actually have confirmation that they won't do a hard pull if you upgrade? Since you ended up not upgrading...?

Thanks.
Old Jan 16, 2015, 5:08 am

Well, she (Chase lady I spoke to) said they don't need to do a hard pull for the upgrade but you can confirm when you call just to make sure. I'm thinking they'll ask your permission if they need to but she told me that an upgrade doesn't require one. Let me know what they tell you and how ya made out. ;^>
Old Jan 16, 2015, 6:50 am

Programs: Hyatt Plat,SPG-Plat,Hertz-PC
Originally Posted by GrnLantern
Indeed, it does.

I'm less worried about the statement credit, or the annual fee waiver (I never seem to qualify for that offer when I check my MileagePlus account), though. I'm more interested in the card since it technically offers discounted club membership, and I do like the 1.5 miles per dollar spent everywhere.

Unfortunately, do you actually have confirmation that they won't do a hard pull if you upgrade? Since you ended up not upgrading...?

Thanks.
I upgraded to Club Card last year, and there was no hard pull. In fact, I was able to get the first year membership fee waived off.
Old Jan 16, 2015, 6:07 pm

Well, she (Chase lady I spoke to) said they don't need to do a hard pull for the upgrade but you can confirm when you call just to make sure. I'm thinking they'll ask your permission if they need to but she told me that an upgrade doesn't require one. Let me know what they tell you and how ya made out. ;^>
Will do.

Originally Posted by fl9999
I upgraded to Club Card last year, and there was no hard pull. In fact, I was able to get the first year membership fee waived off.
Oh, no kidding? First, thanks for the details on the No Hard Pull.

Second, did you simply just ask to get it waived? Or did they offer?
Old Jan 24, 2015, 12:12 pm

Programs: UA MP Club (no status)
Originally Posted by WheelsFirst
I received a snail mail offer on Saturday. First year fee-free. It has a link to www.united.com/2014clubfree. The website requires login and appears to be targeted.

Just for the data point I fly United once every 5 years, have a Chase Freedom that I only use for category spend. I also have an AMEX Platinum along with several others cards from other banks, a mortgage etc. Pretty random offer.
I just wanted to thank you. I've been looking for the 1st-year free offer and this link gave me what I wanted. Instant approval for a nice and high limit, too. Thanks for posting the link!
Old Jan 25, 2015, 6:43 am
NDN

Programs: Marriott Titanium and LTP, Hilton Gold, United Silver
Originally Posted by februaryfour
I just wanted to thank you. I've been looking for the 1st-year free offer and this link gave me what I wanted. Instant approval for a nice and high limit, too. Thanks for posting the link!
Did it still include the Hyatt Platinum status?
Old Jan 25, 2015, 10:08 am

I've created a wiki collecting the info from recent posts, post #1, and my own experience in coaxing the UA website to cough up the first-year-free offer
Old Jan 26, 2015, 6:50 am

Programs: UA MP Club (no status)
Originally Posted by NDN
Did it still include the Hyatt Platinum status?
Oh--not sure since that wasn't important to me. I haven't gotten the card yet, but I'll come back and let folks know when I do.
Old Jan 26, 2015, 9:01 am

Yes. Hyatt Plat status is included.
Old Jan 26, 2015, 10:56 am

Programs: AS, US, Hilton, BA, DL, SPG, AA, VS
Yes. Hyatt Plat status is included.
Do you have a link? There's nothing about that mentioned on the Chase website.
Old Jan 26, 2015, 12:25 pm

Originally Posted by LETTERBOY
Do you have a link? There's nothing about that mentioned on the Chase website.
Found it here and is also in my welcome kit:

https://www.chase.com/online/Credit-...travel-new.htm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.