Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

United MileagePlus Club Card, 1st Year Annual Fee Waived, Tied to United Status?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 25, 2015, 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RNE
How do I get the first-year free offer for the United Club card?

There is no foolproof method. As of January 2016, anecdotal evidence strongly suggests that the first-year-free offer (as opposed to the standard offer with $395 AF, minus $100 credit with first purchase) is targeted at UA elites and former paid Club members.

In prior years, some of the following links gave non-elites access to the first-year-free offer. Current odds of success appear to be low.
Regardless of the method used, you will need to log into your UA account to see the offer available to you.

How do I find/apply for the United MileagePlus Club Business Card?

https://www.theexplorercard.com/Club50kAF

Go to www.theexplorercard.com, then either
  • Click "Are you a business owner?" in the top right then "Learn about the MileagePlus Club Business Card" in the right column.
  • Click "Compare to the MileagePlus Club Card" in the right column then "Compare to the MileagePlus Club Business Card" in the right column.

After logging into your United account, you may be targeted for the annual fee waiver on the business version of the card.
Print Wikipost

United MileagePlus Club Card, 1st Year Annual Fee Waived, Tied to United Status?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2014, 9:24 pm

Programs: National EE, Hyatt Discoverist, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Man, just saw the $395 AF hit my account Jan 1; ouch that was fast 12 months! Don't mind paying it though, the Club really came in handy this past November when I missed my connection at IAD; the agent had me rebooked in no time to DFW.
Old Jan 8, 2014, 7:34 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus
Has anyone had any luck canceling their card, then re-applying again to get another first year fee waiver...?
Old Jan 13, 2014, 9:51 am

Originally Posted by MidnightLight
Has anyone had any luck canceling their card, then re-applying again to get another first year fee waiver...?
I'd be interested in anyone's experience, as well.
Old Jan 13, 2014, 10:12 pm

I've not been able to re-create the steps needed for the fee waiver online. I will stop by Chase tomorrow to see if I can get the fee waived.
Old Jan 14, 2014, 10:58 am

Charged First Year Fee in Error -- Beware & check your statements

Dear All, I have just finished a 50 minute call with Chase which has not yet been resolved in which I was incorrectly charged a $395 annual fee for the United Club card. The whole reason I switched to this card was to get a one-year reprieve on the club costs, as per the offer. I had already paid a United Club membership fee in Aug of 2013 and that fee was refunded on a prorata basis, per the terms of the Club Card under which I subscribed (first year club costs free, a comparable rate). Imagine my surprise when my December statement showed a $395 charge. The biggest disappointment was the 50 minute conversation with a manager which still doesn't have a resolution because the representative (Cindy) denies this was ever an offer. I pointed her to the online cache of the offer, brochures I had from the Lounge, advertising in branches, etc. Her reply: I am not aware of this (does this make you a little frustrated, even if you're not impacted). My advice is to check your statements and make sure you weren't billed in error. For me, this is a false advertising issue. I have been advised that 'my request' for reimbursement will be reviewed.
Old Jan 17, 2014, 6:53 am

I received this offer via snail mail yesterday that was targeted to my specific account number. Unfortunately, I don't have much use for it at this time but wanted to report there are snail mail offers out there.
Old Jan 17, 2014, 7:30 am

Programs: Hyatt Plat,SPG-Plat,Hertz-PC
Originally Posted by bethfromsf
Dear All, I have just finished a 50 minute call with Chase which has not yet been resolved in which I was incorrectly charged a $395 annual fee for the United Club card. The whole reason I switched to this card was to get a one-year reprieve on the club costs, as per the offer. I had already paid a United Club membership fee in Aug of 2013 and that fee was refunded on a prorata basis, per the terms of the Club Card under which I subscribed (first year club costs free, a comparable rate). Imagine my surprise when my December statement showed a $395 charge. The biggest disappointment was the 50 minute conversation with a manager which still doesn't have a resolution because the representative (Cindy) denies this was ever an offer. I pointed her to the online cache of the offer, brochures I had from the Lounge, advertising in branches, etc. Her reply: I am not aware of this (does this make you a little frustrated, even if you're not impacted). My advice is to check your statements and make sure you weren't billed in error. For me, this is a false advertising issue. I have been advised that 'my request' for reimbursement will be reviewed.
Phone agents are kind of useless when it comes to match the offer or fix the issue like this, as they can act dumb like anything. For Chase, SecureMessage works great as SM guys seem to have power to make decision. Plus it saves a lot of time.
Old Jan 17, 2014, 7:53 am

My husband got the offer yesterday in snail mail too. Tempting but we just burned all our UA miles and will probably not be flying them much more - at least not this year.
Old Jan 21, 2014, 12:43 pm

Programs: UA
I applied 17 days ago and got "additional review required". I was not totally surprised, since I do have a number of accounts open, including 3 with Chase. Since then I have not heard anything. After my application, I did get an email, a phone call and a letter from my local Chase branch, inviting me to come in to talk about Chase Private Client, which may or may not be a coincidence.

I'm flying tomorrow, with a 3 hour layover at LAX, for which I'd hoped to be able to use the lounge access, even though I am on AA. I checked my United App today, and under Club Passes, it now says my club membership expires 4/15, so I take that as evidence that I'm approved, I just haven't gotten the card or the club card in the mail yet.

I assume I should be able to get into the club, although I may encounter some resistance from the front desk person? Without the club card or the Mileage Plus card in my possession, should my DL and my mileage plus number be enough to get me in?
Old Jan 21, 2014, 1:23 pm

Programs: Hilton Plastic, Delta Silver Emeritus
Originally Posted by rudycantfail0
I applied 17 days ago and got "additional review required". I was not totally surprised, since I do have a number of accounts open, including 3 with Chase. Since then I have not heard anything. After my application, I did get an email, a phone call and a letter from my local Chase branch, inviting me to come in to talk about Chase Private Client, which may or may not be a coincidence.

I'm flying tomorrow, with a 3 hour layover at LAX, for which I'd hoped to be able to use the lounge access, even though I am on AA. I checked my United App today, and under Club Passes, it now says my club membership expires 4/15, so I take that as evidence that I'm approved, I just haven't gotten the card or the club card in the mail yet.

I assume I should be able to get into the club, although I may encounter some resistance from the front desk person? Without the club card or the Mileage Plus card in my possession, should my DL and my mileage plus number be enough to get me in?
Your boarding pass should be enough.
Old Jan 21, 2014, 10:17 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, DL Gold
I received a snail mail offer on Saturday. First year fee-free. It has a link to www.united.com/2014clubfree. The website requires login and appears to be targeted.

Just for the data point I fly United once every 5 years, have a Chase Freedom that I only use for category spend. I also have an AMEX Platinum along with several others cards from other banks, a mortgage etc. Pretty random offer.
Old Jan 24, 2014, 7:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
I just got the same offer as above. Rarely ever fly United. Offers Hyatt Platinum status too, which is surprising to me given that United and Marriott are partners. Expires March 31.

Last edited by britishcanuck; Jan 24, 2014 at 7:51 pm
Old Feb 4, 2014, 9:54 am

Programs: Mileage Plus
Invitation United.com/2014ClubFree

I got and invitation from you to get 2014 Club Free by March 31, 2014 and there is no way I can find how to do it. I need some help please
Old Feb 4, 2014, 1:20 pm

Originally Posted by WheelsFirst
I received a snail mail offer on Saturday. First year fee-free. It has a link to www.united.com/2014clubfree. The website requires login and appears to be targeted.

Just for the data point I fly United once every 5 years, have a Chase Freedom that I only use for category spend. I also have an AMEX Platinum along with several others cards from other banks, a mortgage etc. Pretty random offer.
i used the above link, logged using my MP login and i saw the first year waived...if i hit apply from there i should get that offer?
i didn't get the snail or or anything...how can i confirm this offer if i use the link?
Old Feb 8, 2014, 3:15 pm

Originally Posted by travelergirl05
My husband got the offer yesterday in snail mail too. Tempting but we just burned all our UA miles and will probably not be flying them much more - at least not this year.
You know that you don't have to be flying UA to use the club right?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.