Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

United MileagePlus Club Card, 1st Year Annual Fee Waived, Tied to United Status?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 25, 2015, 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RNE
How do I get the first-year free offer for the United Club card?

There is no foolproof method. As of January 2016, anecdotal evidence strongly suggests that the first-year-free offer (as opposed to the standard offer with $395 AF, minus $100 credit with first purchase) is targeted at UA elites and former paid Club members.

In prior years, some of the following links gave non-elites access to the first-year-free offer. Current odds of success appear to be low.
Regardless of the method used, you will need to log into your UA account to see the offer available to you.

How do I find/apply for the United MileagePlus Club Business Card?

https://www.theexplorercard.com/Club50kAF

Go to www.theexplorercard.com, then either
  • Click "Are you a business owner?" in the top right then "Learn about the MileagePlus Club Business Card" in the right column.
  • Click "Compare to the MileagePlus Club Card" in the right column then "Compare to the MileagePlus Club Business Card" in the right column.

After logging into your United account, you may be targeted for the annual fee waiver on the business version of the card.
Print Wikipost

United MileagePlus Club Card, 1st Year Annual Fee Waived, Tied to United Status?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2015, 10:34 pm

Originally Posted by gof
Any recent updates on getting this without the first year fee? Looks like some more extensive family travel this year so it might be worth getting for lounge access.
Have you tried following the instructions in post #1?
Old Jan 4, 2015, 9:40 am

An ancillary Question about Benefits of MilegePlus Club card

If one only travels internationally in biz class and above, is there really a need to have the Club credit card? I also have the Sapphire Preferred card. While the Club credit card benefits include free checked luggage, access to Star Alliance lounges, and Premier Access, buying a biz class ticket will do the same thing for me. I get the 2 miles for each $1 spend on UAL tickets using the Card but my Sapphire does too. So, if one does not fly domestically, I'm not at all sure what the $395 renewal fee gets me. Am I missing something?
Old Jan 4, 2015, 3:51 pm
gof

Programs: UA 2P, HHonors Diamond, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by beltway
Have you tried following the instructions in post #1?
Yes, I did that first. There is only a $100 fee waiver, not the $395 waiver. I was trying to see if there was an alternate link that was more current.

Sadly, I no longer have status after a position change at work (no international, all short segments and not many of them).
Old Jan 4, 2015, 3:59 pm

Originally Posted by gof
Yes, I did that first. There is only a $100 fee waiver, not the $395 waiver. I was trying to see if there was an alternate link that was more current.

Sadly, I no longer have status after a position change at work (no international, all short segments and not many of them).
You don't need status. I just verified yesterday that the first-year-free offer is still available for my DW. Try
  • logging into your UA account
  • going to the Get Credit Card page under Products & Services
  • choosing one of the other cards
  • clicking on the Club Card link (lower right side of page)
Old Jan 6, 2015, 8:47 am

I had an offer when I logged in on-line for the fee waiver through the end of November, but had no need for the card, as I have the AA Exec. through Citi.

I just now tried a number of links, but had no luck obtaining the first year fee-free offer for the UAL Club card.
Old Jan 8, 2015, 11:00 am

Now that it's after 1/1/15, how can you can sign up for complimentary Hertz President’s Circle status?
Old Jan 8, 2015, 8:57 pm

Originally Posted by zeusmt
Now that it's after 1/1/15, how can you can sign up for complimentary Hertz President’s Circle status?
http://hertzstatus.mileageplus.com
Old Jan 10, 2015, 2:42 pm

Here is a new link (not sure if posted elsewhere)
https://www.theexplorercard.com/welcome

you will then log in with your mileageplus acct.

I received a targeted offer in the mail (I have no status with UA). I then tried to apply after the expiration date given on the card, but on the online portal it still gave me the waived first year offer. I also changed the address in the autopopulated to my new address. Was denied after a 10 day review saying income was too low (30k student). It could be that or that its was expired or I didnt apply with the same information that was associated with my RSVP code. Just data points for people.

This was about 2 weeks ago. What is the average wait time for applying for another Chase card I have never had (I have no business with Chase)?
Old Jan 11, 2015, 7:32 am
NDN

Programs: Marriott Titanium and LTP, Hilton Gold, United Silver
Does this card actually give Hyatt Platinum status still? I don't see any mention of it on the Chase Web site.
Old Jan 11, 2015, 2:32 pm

Yes, it does. It's listed as a benefit here: https://www.chase.com/online/Credit-...travel-new.htm
Old Jan 11, 2015, 6:58 pm
NDN

Programs: Marriott Titanium and LTP, Hilton Gold, United Silver
Originally Posted by gylf
Yes, it does. It's listed as a benefit here: https://www.chase.com/online/Credit-...travel-new.htm
It's not possible to apply via that page though. The one you can apply through lists nothing. That site also lists benefits for the Presidential card, which isn't even offered to new customers either! It could be a legacy link that is incorrect.
Old Jan 14, 2015, 10:12 pm

Downgrade to Hyatt?

So I got the card last year for the no fee and the annual fee is coming up this soon for me. I don't fly United much anymore and I moved to an area where Delta is better for me. I was thinking of going with a Hyatt card since I used the benefit a lot when I traveled and I also status matched Hyatt Platinum with MLife Gold for when I go to Vegas.

Do you think it's possible for Chase to downgrade the card to the Hyatt or should I have Chase transfer the credit limit from my Club card to another like my CSP and then app for the Hyatt?

The reason why I ask is that my highest credit limit is on my Club card and I would hate to lose it. What do I do?
Old Jan 15, 2015, 2:34 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Coldagglutanin
Here is a new link (not sure if posted elsewhere)
https://www.theexplorercard.com/welcome

you will then log in with your mileageplus acct.
Thanks! Worked for me - AF waived first year.

But unless I'm missing something, it has no sign up bonus.

Question: access to *A lounges only includes *G lounges, not J lounges, right?
Old Jan 15, 2015, 10:13 am

Originally Posted by cubs105
So I got the card last year for the no fee and the annual fee is coming up this soon for me. I don't fly United much anymore and I moved to an area where Delta is better for me. I was thinking of going with a Hyatt card since I used the benefit a lot when I traveled and I also status matched Hyatt Platinum with MLife Gold for when I go to Vegas.

Do you think it's possible for Chase to downgrade the card to the Hyatt or should I have Chase transfer the credit limit from my Club card to another like my CSP and then app for the Hyatt?

The reason why I ask is that my highest credit limit is on my Club card and I would hate to lose it. What do I do?
I would be surprised if you can change the United card to a Hyatt card. I believe you can't switch partners (i.e. has to be United Club to United Explorer, or Chase Sapphire Preferred to Chase Sapphire). I would transfer your credit limit to another card and apply for the Hyatt. That way you also get whatever sign up bonus there is.
Old Jan 15, 2015, 10:49 am

Programs: AS, US, Hilton, BA, DL, SPG, AA, VS
Originally Posted by italdesign
But unless I'm missing something, it has no sign up bonus.
You're not missing anything, unfortunately. Only sign-up bonus is a $100 statement credit. For a card with a $395 annual fee, the least they could do is give you 10K miles or so. Even DL does that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.