Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

United MileagePlus Club Card, 1st Year Annual Fee Waived, Tied to United Status?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 25, 2015, 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RNE
How do I get the first-year free offer for the United Club card?

There is no foolproof method. As of January 2016, anecdotal evidence strongly suggests that the first-year-free offer (as opposed to the standard offer with $395 AF, minus $100 credit with first purchase) is targeted at UA elites and former paid Club members.

In prior years, some of the following links gave non-elites access to the first-year-free offer. Current odds of success appear to be low.
Regardless of the method used, you will need to log into your UA account to see the offer available to you.

How do I find/apply for the United MileagePlus Club Business Card?

https://www.theexplorercard.com/Club50kAF

Go to www.theexplorercard.com, then either
  • Click "Are you a business owner?" in the top right then "Learn about the MileagePlus Club Business Card" in the right column.
  • Click "Compare to the MileagePlus Club Card" in the right column then "Compare to the MileagePlus Club Business Card" in the right column.

After logging into your United account, you may be targeted for the annual fee waiver on the business version of the card.
Print Wikipost

United MileagePlus Club Card, 1st Year Annual Fee Waived, Tied to United Status?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2016, 4:51 pm

two years with the card. miles regularly post by the third day after statement close.
Old Jan 22, 2016, 4:52 pm

Has anyone triggered an AF rebate upon lowering their CL on the United Club Card?
Old Jan 22, 2016, 4:54 pm

Originally Posted by helvetic
I'm also thinking about signing up for a Club card to pay for my taxes. At 1.87%, it costs 1.25cpm. But the fee is tax deductible, so assuming another 1/3rd discount, it costs 0.83cpm. Not bad at all!

The other option would be getting an AMEX Everyday Preferred card, and making sure I get the 30 transactions per billing cycle for the 50% bonus (1.5x).

Would you rather have a UA mile or MR point? Right now, I'm about equal on UA, UR, and MR balances.

EDP card can pay for itself via Amex Offers. On my first anniversary I also scored $50 retention credit. ($16k+ of spend)

And it's pretty easy to hit 30x transactions per month. You can send Amazon e-gift cards in $0.50 increments. Buy MPX in $5 denominations. Some Telecoms also allow you to pay your bill online in $0.01 increments.
Old Jan 22, 2016, 9:14 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by beltway
Is anybody able to see a first-year-free offer on this card using of the methods listed in the wiki? I've run through all of them--for myself (former Club card holder) and three family members (none of whom has never held the card)--and consistently saw only the offer for a $100 statement credit with no waiver of the $450 AF.

I'm thinking I should update the wiki so that it gives readers less false hope and a more realistic set of expectations about the current offer(s). Before doing that, I thought I'd check with the group to avoid overstating things.

Thanks for any data points.
I have the offer. No status but I was a previous club member. Not even $1k in pqd last year.
Old Jan 23, 2016, 12:24 am

Programs: UA 1P MM, AS MVP G*, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
got the offer, seriously tempted...
Old Jan 23, 2016, 6:28 am

Originally Posted by United747
I have the offer. No status but I was a previous club member. Not even $1k in pqd last year.
I have the offer, never had UA status, never been a club member, currently a MP Explorer card holder.
Old Jan 23, 2016, 7:04 am

I used mpclubcard.com/rsvp yesterday and was finally targetted to have my first year annual fee waived.
Old Jan 23, 2016, 8:35 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by HGHUA
got the offer, seriously tempted...
Me too. I'm going to be flying more UA, so it makes sense.
Old Jan 23, 2016, 9:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Delta Plat, Marriott Plat,Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat
Was just reading on TPG about the targeted annual fee club card being waived and clicking the link shows I would qualify. Not sure I need the club benefits now as I've got at least 5 free passes good this year into next. Other benefits I've already got.

2 questions:

Seems more last minute award deals are available on shorter hauls at least but then there is the $80 each way added, for example to SFO or SLC. Does having this card eliminate those fees(maybe not taxes, a very small part of it)? This would be a big benefit.

I'm also wondering if I can transfer an existing mileage plus business card or personal card to this or cancel those two and transfer credit line to this card. Anyone done that? Would clean things up and give me a year to eval my options when the $450 fee kicks in...
Old Jan 23, 2016, 10:08 pm

Originally Posted by Mbcijim10
I've had this card since mid-summer. I haven't paid attention to when the miles actually posted, but looking at my United Account summary, it shows the 20th of every month since I've had the card. Now I need the miles, it is the end of the day on the 21st, and no miles. Any experience out there can recommend when they will post?
Data Point: So the points showed up in my account sometime today (1/23) but it was dated 1/20, not sure why they need to do that, or if that is normal.
Old Jan 24, 2016, 3:46 pm

Programs: National EE, Hyatt Discoverist, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Jonesdds

Seems more last minute award deals are available on shorter hauls at least but then there is the $80 each way added, for example to SFO or SLC. Does having this card eliminate those fees(maybe not taxes, a very small part of it)? This would be a big benefit.
Yes, the close-in booking fees are waived once the Club Card credentials have posted to your MP account. Great perk and has helped me justify the AF on more than one occasion.
Old Jan 24, 2016, 8:18 pm

Any reason not to do this card? I don't have any SA travel specifically planned but I will be traveling lots this year. Already have Lounge Club/Priority Pass/Admirals Club..

Edit: Applied and was approved instantly for $34k CL

Last edited by wholeinone04; Jan 24, 2016 at 8:21 pm Reason: applied
Old Jan 24, 2016, 8:37 pm

Premier Access: Does the Club card need to be used??

Hi folks,

I've posted in FT before regarding whether Premier Access only applies if the Club Card is used, similar to the "Chase Bag Benefit".

My understanding was that you don't need to use the card and that the Premier Access is tagged to your MP account and applies however you book the ticket.

I booked a United ticket with ThankYou points, and had my MP account number in the reservation. When i logged into United I see them trying to upset me the Premier Access.

The T&C don't specify that the card have to be used and i've had a United reservation rep confirm my assumption yet after he transferred me to a MP rep, the MP rep said that for any benefit to apply the card must be used.

What gives?

PREMIER ACCESS:
The primary cardmember and eligible companions traveling on the same reservation are eligible for Premier Access®; authorized users are only eligible if they are on the same reservation as the primary cardmember. Benefits include the following travel services where available: designated check-in lines, priority security lanes, priority boarding, and priority baggage handling. To receive Premier Access, the primary cardmember must include their MileagePlus number in their reservation. Premier Access is only available on United- and United Express-operated flights; code-share partner-operated flights are not eligible. Chase is not responsible for the provision of, or failure to provide Premier Access. Please allow 2 weeks after account opening for Premier Access to be available on your United reservation. For more information, please visit www.united.com/premieraccess Opens Overlay .

Thanks guys
Old Jan 24, 2016, 11:38 pm

Originally Posted by slivrflyr
Hi folks,

I've posted in FT before regarding whether Premier Access only applies if the Club Card is used, similar to the "Chase Bag Benefit".

My understanding was that you don't need to use the card and that the Premier Access is tagged to your MP account and applies however you book the ticket.

I booked a United ticket with ThankYou points, and had my MP account number in the reservation. When i logged into United I see them trying to upset me the Premier Access.

The T&C don't specify that the card have to be used and i've had a United reservation rep confirm my assumption yet after he transferred me to a MP rep, the MP rep said that for any benefit to apply the card must be used.

What gives?

PREMIER ACCESS:
The primary cardmember and eligible companions traveling on the same reservation are eligible for Premier Access®; authorized users are only eligible if they are on the same reservation as the primary cardmember. Benefits include the following travel services where available: designated check-in lines, priority security lanes, priority boarding, and priority baggage handling. To receive Premier Access, the primary cardmember must include their MileagePlus number in their reservation. Premier Access is only available on United- and United Express-operated flights; code-share partner-operated flights are not eligible. Chase is not responsible for the provision of, or failure to provide Premier Access. Please allow 2 weeks after account opening for Premier Access to be available on your United reservation. For more information, please visit www.united.com/premieraccess Opens Overlay .

Thanks guys
Nope, if you don't book with the United card (Explorer or Club) you're not going to get the bag fees waived. It's in plain view in the upper right hand corner on multiple screens after you click on the fare price.
"Reminder: Be sure to purchase your tickets with your eligible MileagePlus Credit Card to save on checked bags for you and one companion."
Old Jan 24, 2016, 11:44 pm

Originally Posted by wholeinone04
Any reason not to do this card? I don't have any SA travel specifically planned but I will be traveling lots this year. Already have Lounge Club/Priority Pass/Admirals Club..

Edit: Applied and was approved instantly for $34k CL
If you already have access to all those other clubs, I honestly don't see a reason as to why you would want to pay the $450 AF for this one. Seems a bit redundant. The United Explorer Card may have been better suited for you as you can still get boarding group 2 and one checked bag for $95 AF, then used your "Lounge Club/Priority Pass/Admirals Club" access.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.