Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

United MileagePlus Club Card, 1st Year Annual Fee Waived, Tied to United Status?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 25, 2015, 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RNE
How do I get the first-year free offer for the United Club card?

There is no foolproof method. As of January 2016, anecdotal evidence strongly suggests that the first-year-free offer (as opposed to the standard offer with $395 AF, minus $100 credit with first purchase) is targeted at UA elites and former paid Club members.

In prior years, some of the following links gave non-elites access to the first-year-free offer. Current odds of success appear to be low.
Regardless of the method used, you will need to log into your UA account to see the offer available to you.

How do I find/apply for the United MileagePlus Club Business Card?

https://www.theexplorercard.com/Club50kAF

Go to www.theexplorercard.com, then either
  • Click "Are you a business owner?" in the top right then "Learn about the MileagePlus Club Business Card" in the right column.
  • Click "Compare to the MileagePlus Club Card" in the right column then "Compare to the MileagePlus Club Business Card" in the right column.

After logging into your United account, you may be targeted for the annual fee waiver on the business version of the card.
Print Wikipost

United MileagePlus Club Card, 1st Year Annual Fee Waived, Tied to United Status?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2016, 10:10 pm

Originally Posted by eajusa
Can someone give me an idea as to how many more award flights become available to the Club card holder? And another question; As a flyer without status, how much is premier access worth when flying from EWR to different cities in Europe? .
1. It's significant. Double maybe? I control my wife's account (no status or CC) and my own (Club card) and the difference in available tickets is substantial. I don't know if anyone can give you a number.

2. Flying out of EWR you know you get your own floor away from the masses with premier access and your own security gates. What is that worth to you and how often do you fly? I believe it will get you *A club access in Europe (the Club card) but I'm not 100% as that isn't a common use for me. I'm sure others here know the answer better than I.
Old Mar 30, 2016, 9:12 am

Programs: Milege+, SkyMiles, AAdvantage, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
Thanks mbcijim10. Your answers are very helpful. I consider them good reasons to keep the card.
Old Apr 1, 2016, 11:58 am

Originally Posted by Mbcijim10
1. It's significant. Double maybe? I control my wife's account (no status or CC) and my own (Club card) and the difference in available tickets is substantial. I don't know if anyone can give you a number.

2. Flying out of EWR you know you get your own floor away from the masses with premier access and your own security gates. What is that worth to you and how often do you fly? I believe it will get you *A club access in Europe (the Club card) but I'm not 100% as that isn't a common use for me. I'm sure others here know the answer better than I.

Re 1. Would Exlorer card give similar award space availability?

Re 2. You do get star alliance lounge access for the primary plus ONE guest. Kids under 2 are free. But over two count as a guest. So a family with one kid over twon is SOL regarding *A lounge access.
Old Apr 1, 2016, 12:09 pm

I'm pretty sure that Club Card = Explorer Card = Any Status in terms of award space availability. Meaning, that any credit card, Silver UA (bottom status), and Global Services Premier (top status) all see equal award space availability.

Although I'm sure that UA will try and complicate things further sometime soon and have differently layers of availability but not fix the system glitch where they give 2 year old's a middle seat between strangers.
Old Apr 2, 2016, 6:45 am

I just got reminded how awful UA's "lounges" are this week. Yuck. "Hot food" was a joke. Definitely not worth the $400 AF.

"Premier service" also seems redundant if I have global entry and "group 2" boarding is useful but if I can get that with a cheaper card then what's the point? It seems that the lounge is the main differential between club card and the explorer. The extra 0.5 mile is immaterial given my spend now goes on other products. Plus I can always switch my freedom to the new product
Old Apr 2, 2016, 7:04 am

Programs: Milege+, SkyMiles, AAdvantage, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
I'm pretty sure that Club Card = Explorer Card = Any Status in terms of award space availability. Meaning, that any credit card, Silver UA (bottom status), and Global Services Premier (top status) all see equal award space availability.
I checked into it, and you are correct. So the $300 differential between Explorer and Club card ($355 for new Club card holders) cannot be at all made up with award availability. You apparently have to spend enough on the Club card to get value from the .5 miles extra per $ spent, use the longue certainly more than twice a year, check more than one bag a per trip, and/or find sufficient value from premier access(man the charge for this varies greatly) to get the extra $300 back that you pay for the AF.

Last edited by eajusa; Apr 2, 2016 at 12:14 pm
Old Apr 2, 2016, 4:29 pm

Originally Posted by eajusa
I checked into it, and you are correct. So the $300 differential between Explorer and Club card ($355 for new Club card holders) cannot be at all made up with award availability. You apparently have to spend enough on the Club card to get value from the .5 miles extra per $ spent, use the longue certainly more than twice a year, check more than one bag a per trip, and/or find sufficient value from premier access(man the charge for this varies greatly) to get the extra $300 back that you pay for the AF.
THANK YOU!

This is exactly the math I was wondering about. My renewal is late summer so I'm good for this years summer travel. I'll likely downgrade to the free United card for now so I can keep scoring 25% bonus from MXP and the shopping portal then close to summer of 2017 upgrade to the Exlorer to get availability.
Old Apr 3, 2016, 8:52 pm

Originally Posted by popoemt
I searched the forum and could not find an appropriate thread for this (mods feel free to move).

What is the timeframe for getting the United club card in the mail (the actual club card, not the cc)?
I think it may have been about 4 weeks. It was certainly less than the 6 weeks stated in the online documentation.

Lets see, I applied on 2/27 (Chase) and got a welcome to the club card message from United 3 days later on 3/1. I also received the credit card in a giant box that Friday (3/4). During that same week my "digital" club membership card showed up in my United App.

I think my card arrived around 3/22 or during that week. So - a little over 3 weeks.

I was pleasantly surprised!
Old Apr 3, 2016, 9:03 pm

Originally Posted by blueman2
How quickly do you get United Club access once approved? Days, weeks? I have a bunch of travel coming up and have the free first year offer. Might take it for a year.

Also, I might not hit the PQD this year (for Premier Platinum level). I assume $25K on this card will give me that, right?
Seems like within a week my United App showed a club membership card which can be used for club access. Even without that I think it's just a few days and you can give them your frequent flier number and they can look you up.
Old Apr 3, 2016, 10:05 pm

Programs: National EE, Hyatt Discoverist, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold

Although I'm sure that UA will try and complicate things further sometime soon and have differently layers of availability but not fix the system glitch where they give 2 year old's a middle seat between strangers.
All Premier levels see the same Standard Level Awards as well as economy Saver Level Awards. The only difference in award availability is at Platinum and 1K levels where they see, "Better availability for United Saver Awards in select premium cabins."
Old Apr 7, 2016, 6:50 pm

Programs: Hilton Plastic, Delta Silver Emeritus
I had something interesting happen.

I downgraded this card to the no fee United card one day before the annual fee would have posted. The new card shows a $32.92 credit and my United Club access was immediately pulled (it was set to expire June 30- 60 days after the fee posted). $32.92 is 1/12 of the $395 annual fee. I wonder if Chase now has an arrangement with United that lets them pay monthly instead of annually and if they give pro-rated annual fee refunds now like Amex.

I'd have canceled two months ago if I knew!
Old Apr 7, 2016, 10:04 pm

Originally Posted by highops
I had something interesting happen.

I downgraded this card to the no fee United card one day before the annual fee would have posted. The new card shows a $32.92 credit and my United Club access was immediately pulled (it was set to expire June 30- 60 days after the fee posted). $32.92 is 1/12 of the $395 annual fee. I wonder if Chase now has an arrangement with United that lets them pay monthly instead of annually and if they give pro-rated annual fee refunds now like Amex.

I'd have canceled two months ago if I knew!

Mind sharing what's been your new card strategy/carry/spend after you've downgraded the club card? Curious as mine is coming up for renewal too.

Thanks
Old Apr 8, 2016, 4:10 am

Originally Posted by slivrflyr
Mind sharing what's been your new card strategy/carry/spend after you've downgraded the club card? Curious as mine is coming up for renewal too.

Thanks
I'm going to work on an Amex bonus. I think eventually I'll get Freedom Unlimited and work with Freedom/Freedom Unlimited/Ink/CSP.

I like Ultimate Rewards points whenever a bank doesn't give me a ridiculous bonus.
Old Apr 13, 2016, 11:48 pm

I recently got the club card in the mail and can now access the digital card via my United App on my iPhone.

I'm flying tomorrow and still haven't received the physical club card. Will I have a problem using the digital card to get into any United Clubs, specifically SFO?

Also, will there be a problem with visiting all three UA clubs at SFO within an hour using the digital card? Now that I have one, I kinda want to check all of the clubs before I pick one to settle in and get some work done for a few hours before my flight.

Any shared experiences would be appreciated.
Old Apr 14, 2016, 4:07 am

Originally Posted by rakers
I recently got the club card in the mail and can now access the digital card via my United App on my iPhone.

I'm flying tomorrow and still haven't received the physical club card. Will I have a problem using the digital card to get into any United Clubs, specifically SFO?

Also, will there be a problem with visiting all three UA clubs at SFO within an hour using the digital card? Now that I have one, I kinda want to check all of the clubs before I pick one to settle in and get some work done for a few hours before my flight.

Any shared experiences would be appreciated.
I had a long layover at LAX and visited all the clubs once just to have something to do.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.