Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Applying for Chase Credit Cards- Archived 2008-5/2015

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 17, 2013, 10:08 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
This thread is now archived. For later discussion, see the threads starting at May 2015 (now also closed) and January 2017 (current, with updated wiki).
Print Wikipost

Applying for Chase Credit Cards- Archived 2008-5/2015

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2015, 11:11 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Ritley572
This is all fine and I can't say I'm surprised other than it was curious to me that they refused to just lower my CC limits and give me another business card. I asked why 3 cards with a 55k limit is OK but 4 cards with that same limit, or even lower, isn't. I didn't receive a satisfactory answer.
Because they know what you're trying to do.
Old Jan 20, 2015, 11:14 am

Originally Posted by TMM1982
Because they know what you're trying to do.
What is it that I'm trying to do? There are a ton of people on these very forums who have all the cards I am trying to apply for and even more from Chase.
Old Jan 20, 2015, 11:30 am
umc

So I just got stonewalled by Chase' business reconsideration team, twice.

In November 2014 I applied for and received the CSP card with a 20k CL and the Business Ink Plus with a 10k CL (for a legitimate, real business).

Last night I applied for the Southwest Personal Premier card and was approved with a 24k CL but was declined for the Southwest Business Premier card (as well as the Amex Hilton Surpass (approved 15k CL) and the Citi Hilton HHonors (declined) as part of my sign up round robin).

For reference my latest true FICO scores which I got through a mortgage refinance that closed last Friday were all over 780.

I called the business reconsideration line this morning and explained to them my reasons for wanting the business card (separation of concerns between personal and business spending, just got a new contract with a company based in TX and CO and will need to be travelling a lot, SW is my preferred domestic airline, the benefits of the card along with that make it the logical choice and I've been happy with my relationship with Chase even though there isn't much history so I'd like to give them more of my business as it makes it easier for me to manage if I have a single account dashboard and single bank for my business expenses.). I was stonewalled with their reasoning being I (now) have 3 very new Chase CC accounts and they will not extend me another card until they see how I utilize my current cards. After a lengthy discussion trying to see if I had any options, including asking if moving around my credit or lowering my limits would be a sufficient "risk buffer" it was apparent I wasn't getting anywhere with this rep so I said thank you hung up and tried again a few hours later. The second conversation went exactly the same with a different rep.

This is all fine and I can't say I'm surprised other than it was curious to me that they refused to just lower my CC limits and give me another business card. I asked why 3 cards with a 55k limit is OK but 4 cards with that same limit, or even lower, isn't. I didn't receive a satisfactory answer.

My question is this. Is it worth it for me to call the business credit reallocation office or the executive offices or should I just take my lumps and wait the ludicrous time suggested (6 months to a year) before re-applying? (Or play around with getting those pulls to drop off my reports if Chase uses one of the two FICO bureaus that I can do that with, though that seems like way too much of a hassle for an admitted newbie like myself)
I think it's worth it to call the business reconsideration line again. I had to call 3-4 times when I applied for the Ink Plus while having an open Ink Bold card. One rep finally approved my Plus card, but she made me close the Bold card to open the Plus card. If you don't mind closing your Plus card, you may ask the rep if that option is available.
Old Jan 20, 2015, 8:28 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
I would be cautious trying to open two Chase cards within that short of a time frame, especially already have two cards from them. More than likely they are going to grill you on why you want so much credit in a short period, especially on the business card.

If you know for sure you can get the Chase business card and the sign up bonus is increasing, I would go for that card and forget about the CSP for the time being. The CSP sign-up hasn't dipped below 40k points in a long time so I wouldn't worry about it going away.

Instead, I would try applying for cards from different banks: Citi, AMEX, etc.

Do you have SPECIFIC travel goals in mind? I only ask because it typically isn't good practice to sign up for bonuses just to get them, especially just starting out, if you do not have any trips or goals lined up - never know when a devaluation could happen!

Good luck!
Old Jan 21, 2015, 7:50 am

Programs: AAdvantage, UA, Avios
My question is this. Is it worth it for me to call the business credit reallocation office or the executive offices or should I just take my lumps and wait the ludicrous time suggested (6 months to a year) before re-applying? (Or play around with getting those pulls to drop off my reports if Chase uses one of the two FICO bureaus that I can do that with, though that seems like way too much of a hassle for an admitted newbie like myself)
I once had to call three or four times to get approved. Keep calling and don't give up until maybe number 4 or 5.
Old Jan 21, 2015, 10:29 am

Programs: Lotz
I'm considering closing my only biz card with Chase (a Southwest) to apply for Ink. Hopefully when they see I had a CL with biz they'll approve faster.

Not sure whether closing on a recon call or just doing it 1st would be better.
Old Jan 21, 2015, 1:50 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, UA, Avios
Originally Posted by tassojunior
I'm considering closing my only biz card with Chase (a Southwest) to apply for Ink. Hopefully when they see I had a CL with biz they'll approve faster.

Not sure whether closing on a recon call or just doing it 1st would be better.
Read back a couple pages.. this is a hot topic and long and short of it is that you can probably get approved with both ways but you can get auto-approved by lowering CL in advance.
Old Jan 21, 2015, 5:02 pm

Programs: AA ex Plat, IC Plat , Hilton Diamond
one personal and one business....shouldn't be an issue..... just my experience on the last 8 cards. then again, I was denied a IHG card, when I got greedy and went for 3 in about 30 days. Chase is metered and reasonable..... in my opinion.

I need a new hobby, but this one continues to pay me!
Old Jan 21, 2015, 5:17 pm

Okay so I called the reconsideration line twice again today, once in the morning once in the afternoon. The afternoon call rep actually started asking me questions and grilling me about my business which the other 3 reps never did so I thought I was getting somewhere however no go, decision was explained to me the same way it was my previous 3 calls so I called the executive offices as one last ditch effort. I explained to the woman at the executive offices line that I wanted the card for the reasons I stated in my OP but the biggest reason was the no change fee benefit of the card. I explained that due to the nature of my business (software consulting) I often have to deal with last minute cancellations and that one benefit would end up saving me quite a bit of hassle and money. I also explained to her I would be more than willing to shift around credit limits and even lower them altogether. She thanked me for that info, assured me she would pass that along, and told me I would be receiving a call back with a decision before end of week. Hopefully it goes through.
Old Jan 21, 2015, 8:48 pm

What is a good amount of time to wait before re-applying for the CSP to get another bonus? I received the bonus in February 2012 and just canceled the card in October 2014, so I'm well past the 24 months.

I've heard some people say wait a year, but is that because they canceled after the first year?
Old Jan 22, 2015, 6:02 am

Approved for RC Card! I had to close one of DH's Ink cards - but I was going to do this anyway. Followed Happy's advice and luckily got a very nice rep on phone the next day. She interpreted the note on the app as too many Chase accounts open. Once I had a zero balance on the Ink, she closed it and was able to approve the RC.

Thank you very much to Happy, Brugge and slhansen219!
Old Jan 22, 2015, 11:13 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by CherylD
Approved for RC Card! I had to close one of DH's Ink cards - but I was going to do this anyway. Followed Happy's advice and luckily got a very nice rep on phone the next day. She interpreted the note on the app as too many Chase accounts open. Once I had a zero balance on the Ink, she closed it and was able to approve the RC.

Thank you very much to Happy, Brugge and slhansen219!
^
Old Jan 22, 2015, 11:49 am

Do not have this card (IHG) and never have had this card. Do have several chase cards though, and I just received the 80k offer via email. Thinking of jumping on it, but worried I'm bumping up against my max with Chase. Any thoughts? Here's what I have so far:

CSP
Freedom
Slate
Hyatt
Southwest
Ink Bold
Ritz Carlton

Last edited by philemer; Jan 22, 2015 at 1:14 pm Reason: added "IHG"
Old Jan 22, 2015, 1:37 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by jgroll57
Do not have this card (IHG) and never have had this card. Do have several chase cards though, and I just received the 80k offer via email. Thinking of jumping on it, but worried I'm bumping up against my max with Chase. Any thoughts? Here's what I have so far:

CSP
Freedom
Slate
Hyatt
Southwest
Ink Bold
Ritz Carlton
If you mean "max" credit line, just SM them to lower some of the CL on cards you don't charge that much on.

If you mean too many cards, are any of them past or at least close to 2 years since you got a sign up bonus on them? If so, I'd cancel any of those, and get the IHG now, then reapply for the one/s you canceled a few months from now.
Old Jan 22, 2015, 1:40 pm

Originally Posted by Brugge
If you mean too many cards, are any of them past or at least close to 2 years since you got a sign up bonus on them? If so, I'd cancel any of those, and get the IHG now, then reapply for the one/s you canceled a few months from now.
I'm curious... Do you not worry about AAoA? For example, some of jgroll57's accounts could be 5 to 10 years old. Canceling them would not necessarily be a good thing, would it? Or am I misunderstanding how AAoA is computed?

Also, does Chase actively enforce a number of cards limit? I know they actively enforce total credit line (by means of having a Secondary Underwriting review requirement), but that's about it.

Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.