Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Applying for Chase Credit Cards- Archived 2008-5/2015

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 17, 2013, 10:08 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
This thread is now archived. For later discussion, see the threads starting at May 2015 (now also closed) and January 2017 (current, with updated wiki).
Print Wikipost

Applying for Chase Credit Cards- Archived 2008-5/2015

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2014, 5:36 pm

Programs: DL PLT, AS 75k, AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by carpentry4thought
It's difficult to get more than one Chase business card. Not so with the personals. If you want to keep a card, you should put a little spending on it. Though perhaps that won't matter for your CSP application. I wouldn't keep any Amazon card open. But I'm biased.
The amazon card seems fairly pointless to me. You can load up on a $1500 amazon gift card during one of Chase Freedom's quarters or buy Amazon GCs from office supply stores with the Ink card for better returns on Amazon spend. Never did understood the point of that card unless someone got it a long time ago and is keeping it around for AAoA.
Old Jun 4, 2014, 7:07 am

Hi all, I applied for the Chase southwest business and personal cards on Monday the 2nd. Got pending review for both applications. (Going to go for the CP.) I checked the automated numbers today and they are both still in pending review. Should I wait it out a couple more days or go ahead and call a rep? I do casual computer repair work on the side for the business that I've been doing for a few years now with ~$300.00 annual revenue. I also have a five year old amazon card with them that I occasionally use just to keep for AAoA. Last credit karma score was 785. I've been taking it pretty easy on applications as of late and my most recent was one AMEX card that I got instantly approved for in February.
Old Jun 5, 2014, 9:38 am

Programs: AAdvantage, UA, Avios
Churn and the cancel/keep card decision

Does a card have to be canceled to start the churn clock (if there is one) and is that reason alone to get rid of a card and throw away your bargaining token when applying for new credit with that bank?

Deciding on whether or not to hold MP card one more year considering I already paid the annual fee.
Old Jun 5, 2014, 1:30 pm
RNE

Originally Posted by starbuk
Deciding on whether or not to hold MP card one more year considering I already paid the annual fee.
If you want to churn the card as soon as possible, then cancel it now.
Old Jun 5, 2014, 3:27 pm

Originally Posted by RNE
How long do I have to wait to open a new MP card? I canceled my card 9/13. I had opened it 9/11 as a continental one pass plus card.
Old Jun 5, 2014, 4:15 pm

Originally Posted by starbuk
Does a card have to be canceled to start the churn clock (if there is one) and is that reason alone to get rid of a card and throw away your bargaining token when applying for new credit with that bank?

Originally Posted by YoungBubbie
How long do I have to wait to open a new MP card? I canceled my card 9/13. I had opened it 9/11 as a continental one pass plus card.
Folks, please see the section in the wiki (at the top of this page) entitled Q. Can I apply for a specific Chase card and earn the bonus again after doing so previously?
Old Jun 5, 2014, 4:39 pm

Originally Posted by beltway
Folks, please see the section in the wiki (at the top of this page) entitled Q. Can I apply for a specific Chase card and earn the bonus again after doing so previously?
I have to wonder if the guy can get a new whatever card if it started out as a Continental. New product, no? As for the others, it seems probably not. Wish I'd gotten into credit cards earlier. But what sane person would think that this stuff could be so beneficial?
Old Jun 5, 2014, 9:21 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
According to Credit Sesame, 2 HPs were made for 2 personal apps on the same day. This is the first we've experienced it. In each of the previous 3 times where we did this, only one HP was recorded. What's your experience recently?
Old Jun 5, 2014, 11:08 pm

Originally Posted by italdesign
According to Credit Sesame, 2 HPs were made for 2 personal apps on the same day. This is the first we've experienced it. In each of the previous 3 times where we did this, only one HP was recorded. What's your experience recently?
They pulled Experian and Equifax for me when I applied for the Ink Plus at the beginning of May. It was instant approval.
Old Jun 5, 2014, 11:55 pm

Programs: UA, Marriott, Hertz
Originally Posted by koalablue
They pulled Experian and Equifax for me when I applied for the Ink Plus at the beginning of May. It was instant approval.
same for me
Old Jun 6, 2014, 3:31 am

Originally Posted by beltway
I just wanted to know if anyone experienced anything less than 2 years lately.

My husband and I have various offers on our cards and we do things the same.
Old Jun 6, 2014, 8:23 am

Programs: AAdvantage, UA, Avios
Originally Posted by RNE
thank you
Old Jun 6, 2014, 9:47 am

Programs: DL, AA
Thanks! I'll post result if I pull the trigger. Mostly just want the AirTran card before it disappears forever, and multiple apps on same day get merged into one, so might as well apply for two.
Originally Posted by skibum7732
No, they do not...you will get 2 inquiries
Originally Posted by SuperKirby
I only got 1 inquiry when I app'd and was instantly approved for two Chase cards in the same day.
My EX and TU credit reports disagree.
Originally Posted by MDtR-Chicago
This should be in a FAQ somewhere...

Inquiries are combined automatically by each bureau. However, they must be exact matches, down to the issuer's exact name and address.

Those two inquiries didn't combine because they are two different departments at Chase, and thus probably have different address or name details. If they were two personal cards, they probably would have combined.
I don't know how much this matters, but I thought I'd post to sum up something I just found. I just signed up for Mint.com's credit monitoring service since they're running a free trial. I noticed that I have a HP on April 20th on TU and Exp from Chase. That was for the Chase Sapphire card. I then applied for the Chase Sapphire Preferred card on April 25th, but there are no HPs reported by Chase for that day, or any days near it. Based on MDtR's post, seems like they may have been merged if they contained all of the exact same info. Did they merge the pulls since they were close together? Anybody have a similar experience?
Old Jun 6, 2014, 10:49 am

Chase Freedom denied? Any advice?

I applied for Freedom in branch last weekend. It was denied due to short credit history. I called in Recon line, verified some info, and got the reply that they still could not override the initial decision. Any advice on what kind of things should be said on Recon line? I'm a student with Citi Forward and BOA Secured for more than 6 months, always pay bills on time. Thanks!
Old Jun 6, 2014, 10:50 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by koalablue
Originally Posted by ch1tty
same for me
What I meant was if you applied for 2 Chase personal cards on the same day, did it result in 1 or 2 pulls on each bureau. In the past, 2 apps on the same day always merged into 1 pull, but this time we got 2 separate pulls, both dated the same day (at least according to CreditSesame).

FWIW it was for Hyatt and Marriott this time (did not merge into one pull). Previously we had done BA + CSP (merged into one pull), SW + CSP (merged into one pull), and Marriott + AirTran (merged into one pull).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.