Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Applying for Chase Credit Cards- Archived 2008-5/2015

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 17, 2013, 10:08 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
This thread is now archived. For later discussion, see the threads starting at May 2015 (now also closed) and January 2017 (current, with updated wiki).
Print Wikipost

Applying for Chase Credit Cards- Archived 2008-5/2015

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2014, 11:41 am
RNE

Tried something new today and I thought I'd pass along.

I have many Chase credit cards (churning some of them) and I am maxed out with my total credit line. Therefore, whenever I apply online my approval gets held up. I then have to call in, identify myself, etc., get to the right person, move some credit around and voil! Approved every time.

Today, I decided to apply for the Chase Freedom card, because of the current promotion for 20,000 instead of 10,000 bonus Ultimate Reward points. (Because I have never had a Freedom card before, I had no worry about getting the bonus.) I didn't apply on-line like I usually do. Instead I went to a bank branch.

I put on a ski mask, demanded they put all their Ultimate Reward points into a brown paper bag, and then I fled amid of flury of gunfire.

But seriously, what I did was apply for the card at the branch. I explained to the bank cyborg that I had an 825+ FICO but a lot of Chase cards and therefore the bank would probably approve my application but have to move some of my credit line from a current card to the new card. Voil! Took 9 minutes to get the approval and move $5k from one card to the new one.

RNE, advising those among you with maxed-out credit limits to try applying for Chase cards at a Chase branch instead of online. The bank cyborg can expidite the credit limit switcheroo.
Old Jun 10, 2014, 12:04 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, FB Gold, ITA Volare Executive
Just curious ... How do you know you are up against credit limit (total credit line)? Or have you just inferred this from the perpetual-need-to-call-in-following-application?
Old Jun 10, 2014, 12:34 pm
RNE

Exclamation

Originally Posted by Biggie Fries
Just curious ... How do you know you are up against credit limit (total credit line)? Or have you just inferred this from the perpetual-need-to-call-in-following-application?
About five applications ago I was told by the rep that my credit limit ($45,000) was maxed out with Chase. That said, when I just applied for the Freedom Card at the bank branch today, the bank cyborg got my application automatically approved—but with only a $500 credit line. Yes, that's hundreds, not thousands. So Chase was willing to go above my limit by that token amount. Anyway, after moving $5,000 from another card to this one, it's limit is $5,500. Thus, I suspect my total credit limit is now $45,500.
Old Jun 10, 2014, 1:28 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, FB Gold, ITA Volare Executive
Interesting. I closed a couple of Chase accounts this year, and each time moved the credit lines to the one card I actually use (Hyatt Visa). So there is now something like $60,500 piled up on this one card.

Why $60,500? I swear that on one of these credit move-overs, they moved all but $500. I couldn't figure out why until now: I guess they needed the extra $500 for you!
Old Jun 11, 2014, 10:47 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by RNE
RNE, advising those among you with maxed-out credit limits to try applying for Chase cards at a Chase branch instead of online. The bank cyborg can expidite the credit limit switcheroo.
OK, nice to know that worked. But why do you think that was better than an online app, with a call to Recon to move the credit line? What makes it worth a trip to the bank to do it this way?
Old Jun 11, 2014, 11:39 am
RJ1

Close United Mileage Plus Club card, Open Sapphire Preferred

For a variety of reasons, we are moving our air travel from United. I have the United MileagePlus Club VISA card, and my spouse has the legacy MileagePlus VISA.

After a lot of research, we are leaning toward the Sapphire Preferred as the replacement. I see there is some sort of additional point bonus if you add an additional cardholder. Is there any advantage to going that route vs. simply each of us getting two separate cards?

Any other considerations in dropping the United cards, other than being rid of United? The annual renewal on the Club card is coming up in August.
Old Jun 11, 2014, 1:21 pm

Programs: Milege+, SkyMiles, AAdvantage, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
Speaking of max credit line. I apparently just reached it with my third Chase card. First given 20K on United ME card; then 20K on Marriott Rewards Visa, but just this week only 2K for SW Rapid Rewards Premier. At any rate, I am satisfied. I have an abundance of miles and points already to start booking 2015. Cheers!

Last edited by eajusa; Jun 11, 2014 at 4:37 pm Reason: Spelling
Old Jun 11, 2014, 4:30 pm

Programs: DL-Polished Aluminum, Air Mobility Command-Chartreuse
Originally Posted by eajusa
Speaking of max credit line. I apparently just reached it with my third Chase card. First given 20K on United ME card; then 20K on Marriott Rewards Visa, but just this week only 2K for SW Raped Rewards Premier. At any rate, I am satisfied. I have an abundance of miles and points already to start booking 2015. Cheers!
I know they tweaked their award redemption, but I didn't know it was hitting home that hard for some...
Old Jun 11, 2014, 6:22 pm

Originally Posted by msp2anywhere
I know they tweaked their award redemption, but I didn't know it was hitting home that hard for some...
Yah, Chase it getting hardcore. You don't want to see what they do to people with that card.
Old Jun 11, 2014, 7:27 pm

How long does it take Chase to get back to you after you have applied for a credit card? I applied for the United MileagePlus Explorer card on Sunday. I also received an offer for 50k bonus miles in the mail, as opposed to the regular 30, I believe. Given this somewhat of a "target" offer, does this mean I am more likely to get approved? My score is not great because I only have a student credit card ($1,200 limit), since about a year, and at times the utilization has been high, even though I always very easily pay off everything. Will they take this into consideration? Otherwise, is my best bet to call the reconsideration line - do they usually have a high chance of conversion/success to reverse the decision?
Old Jun 11, 2014, 7:45 pm

Story:

Applied for the Chase Marriott card about 10 days ago. Was not denied/accepted instantly and decide to pursue the card because I am looking for a Marriott card. (to note, I got accepted for the SPG AMEX card for the first time the same day I applied for the Marriott card)

Called in 3 days ago - was told that I have to fill out a SSA (social security verification form) because I am a new Chase customer. Got accepted for an AMEX the same day and didn't have an SSA authorization requirement to fill out. Went with it anyways; yesterday I went into a Chase Branch and filled out the form and had a banker fax it in.

Called today to see if they received it. (story begins)

First call directly with credit department: Asked if they received it, they said no. He then proceeded to tell me that I had been denied 6 days ago and should have received a notice. I told him that I just received a reference letter for the SSA requirement and had a banker send it in. The analyst checked on my account (put me on hold) and said there was a mistake. He told me it would take 72 hours to process. Was fine with me. I asked about my credit to see if they have pulled it. He said they pulled it not once, but twice. Thought this was odd and ended the call.

Called the department again just to see what a 2nd analyst would say: Asked if they received it, he said no. (never mentioned my account being denied already) Told me it would take 2 WEEKS to process the SSA form even though I faxed it in from a Chase branch. I asked about my credit/checks - he said they have NOT checked my credit at ALL. Proceeded to end the call on that note.

Decided to call a 3rd time later in the day for fun/see if the response would be different a third time: They keep internal notes and the analyst knew this was my third call to the credit department today. I told him about the previous two calls. He told me that I would have to wait 2 weeks for the SSA processing. Proceeded to tell me that he cannot say if Chase pulled my credit already, he gave me Experian's phone number. (he seemed to be a little frustrated). Ended the call there.

A few questions:

Why is Chase requiring me to fill out an SSA? AMEX did not require a single piece of paper work and I got approved for a $10k limit. (I have a 746 credit score and 4 credit cards already)

Is Chase going to keep pulling my credit? Never encountered this kind of process (sending in an SSA authorization form) for any of my previous cards which are all from different banks.

Process seemed a little odd to me..
Old Jun 11, 2014, 11:52 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by RJ1
For a variety of reasons, we are moving our air travel from United. I have the United MileagePlus Club VISA card, and my spouse has the legacy MileagePlus VISA.

After a lot of research, we are leaning toward the Sapphire Preferred as the replacement. I see there is some sort of additional point bonus if you add an additional cardholder. Is there any advantage to going that route vs. simply each of us getting two separate cards?

Any other considerations in dropping the United cards, other than being rid of United? The annual renewal on the Club card is coming up in August.
You should do both. You have primary; she secondary; and vice versa
Old Jun 12, 2014, 1:50 am
RJ1

Originally Posted by Stgermainparis
You should do both. You have primary; she secondary; and vice versa
Thank you.

Would each of us being added as an authorized user on the other's card result in an additional credit report inquiry? Also, is there an additional charge to add an authorized user? I couldn't find any reference on the Chase site.

(BTW, the "she" is a "he")
Old Jun 12, 2014, 5:44 am
RNE

Originally Posted by nygiants242
How long does it take Chase to get back to you after you have applied for a credit card? I applied for the United MileagePlus Explorer card on Sunday. I also received an offer for 50k bonus miles in the mail, as opposed to the regular 30, I believe. Given this somewhat of a "target" offer, does this mean I am more likely to get approved? My score is not great because I only have a student credit card ($1,200 limit), since about a year, and at times the utilization has been high, even though I always very easily pay off everything. Will they take this into consideration? Otherwise, is my best bet to call the reconsideration line - do they usually have a high chance of conversion/success to reverse the decision?
It can take a while for Chase to reply. Their employees get busy at office parties where everyone takes turns water-boarding their lackey Jeff Smisek.

But seriously, you're right, because the offer was targeted, you are virtually assured of approvalunless there has been a recent and devastating change in your credit standing. Call Chase. Do not ask for "reconsideration" or anything like that. Simply tell whomever answers the phone, "I'm calling to check the status of my credit card application." You will be transferred to the right department. They will approve you, rest assured.

CAUTION: Be sure to begin your conversation with "I'm..." instead of "I am..." The use of a contraction will demonstrate that you are not a cyborg.
Old Jun 12, 2014, 7:37 am

Programs: DL, AA
Originally Posted by RJ1

Originally Posted by RJ1
Thank you.

Would each of us being added as an authorized user on the other's card result in an additional credit report inquiry? Also, is there an additional charge to add an authorized user? I couldn't find any reference on the Chase site.

(BTW, the "she" is a "he")
No cost, and no additional inquiry. If you don't add each other as AUs on your own cards, all you're doing is missing out on 10,000 UR points. Just make sure to keep the cards straight. You'll each need to use your AU card once to get that bonus, and then make the minimum spend on both accounts as well. So for you, it'd be 10,000 points after 1 purchase on each AU card, and 80,000 points after the spend on each card.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.