FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Chase | Ultimate Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase-ultimate-rewards-722/)
-   -   [Expired 2009 offer]100,000 miles for new BA Chase VISA (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase-ultimate-rewards/1013709-expired-2009-offer-100-000-miles-new-ba-chase-visa.html)

QL_714 Aug 10, 2010 8:47 pm

Originally Posted by SkinsFan0521 (Post 14459027)
I've read on here before (probably this thread) that when people called to cancel the BA Visa, they were getting offers of 10k points to keep the card. I don't know if that required them to keep it long enough to pay the next annual fee or not, but I'm sure I read that people were getting 10k points as a retention bonus... no?

It would be nice if it was true but I have not seen any retention offers.

SkinsFan0521 Aug 10, 2010 8:55 pm

Originally Posted by QL_714 (Post 14459049)
It would be nice if it was true but I have not seen any retention offers.

Post 3462 of this very thread has somebody claiming to be offered 10k to not cancel.

I didn't read on far enough to see if the member actuall received them, but they were supposed to post within 24hrs.

Edit: Post 3499 has that member saying that they've received the 10k bonus points for the retention bonus.

QL_714 Aug 10, 2010 9:08 pm

Originally Posted by SkinsFan0521 (Post 14459092)
Post 3462 of this very thread has somebody claiming to be offered 10k to not cancel.

I didn't read on far enough to see if the member actuall received them, but they were supposed to post within 24hrs.

Edit: Post 3499 has that member saying that they've received the 10k bonus points for the retention bonus.

Thanks for the info. I have cancelled many (more than 10) Chase cards and have never received a retention offer. It looks things have changed.

Happy Aug 11, 2010 12:19 am

Originally Posted by SkinsFan0521 (Post 14459092)

The posts quoted were in April. You would think if it works that there would be more posts like that to surface, given many would have tried after reading this. 10K for spending $1K each month between Apr, May and June that I have seen, being a targeted offer. The posts cited by you are the first time I read about it, on today.

Have you found posts from others to "verify" this? How about any confirmation data points posted on FW?

Better yet, try this out yourself and let us know the outcome.

QL_714 Aug 11, 2010 6:05 am

Originally Posted by Happy (Post 14459756)
How about any confirmation data points posted on FW?

I might have missed it but no on FWF. They are pretty good about getting retention offers if it is possible.

SkinsFan0521 Aug 11, 2010 6:47 am

Originally Posted by Happy (Post 14459756)
The posts quoted were in April. You would think if it works that there would be more posts like that to surface, given many would have tried after reading this. 10K for spending $1K each month between Apr, May and June that I have seen, being a targeted offer. The posts cited by you are the first time I read about it, on today.

Have you found posts from others to "verify" this? How about any confirmation data points posted on FW?

Better yet, try this out yourself and let us know the outcome.

I'm aware that they're from April, but my *assumption* was that not many others have added to the datapoints because lots of people are trying to get to the $30k spend and/or were targetted for that offer that you mentioned over those 3 months and are waiting for their 2-4-1 and/or points to post.

Also, I didn't read any further on this thread or on FW for examples. I didn't start out trying to "prove a point" or anything, I just had a question. Then, when I was told that nobody else remembers such things, I figured that I needed to see if I was making stuff up or not. lol

I will be trying it myself in the next month or so. I hit the $30k spend in my current billing cycle. So, from the information posted on here, it seems like I've got about a month or two before my 2-4-1 posts. Once that happens, I'll be calling to cancel. Plus, my gf has a card that she'll be canceling before the annual fee is due also, so maybe I'll try with her card first.

joogle Aug 11, 2010 7:41 am

Just to confirm, I cancel the card without the miles being effected, right?

Also, the 100K miles I have they are still valid for two more years?

Thanks

Originally Posted by joogle (Post 14457330)
Membership year ends: 08 Jan 2011
Card expiry date: 29 Feb 2012

Right now I have 0 Tier points.

So basically, on 08 JAN 2011, only the TIER points expire?

Lastly, if I cancel my credit in December, my miles right now on my account, shouldn't be effected, right?

Anglo Large Clawed Otter Aug 11, 2010 7:48 am

If you use them wisely, BA miles can be an incredible bargain:

Single OneWorld Carrier Biz Award (LA), 14-hour connection in LIM, Stopover in SCL, final destination IPC... 80,000mi. and ~$70 in taxes.

Mountain Trader Aug 11, 2010 9:40 am

Originally Posted by ddutil (Post 14458930)
Agreed. And BA business is much better than business on most domestic metal, I would say it is not much worse than UA or AA first on transatlantic flights...

BA C TATL is not much worse than UA?

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

joogle Aug 11, 2010 9:58 am

Can anyone confirm, who's canceled the account, the following statement:

Thanks

Originally Posted by joogle (Post 14461077)

Thanks

Happy Aug 11, 2010 9:59 am

Originally Posted by Mountain Trader (Post 14461800)

The poster refers to BA C is not much worse than UA/AA F...

I have not flown the NEW UA C which got rave reviews. The BA C TATL imo is old flatbeds with the window seats facing backward (and have to climb over the neighbors to get out unless you are in the few coveted seats at upper deck of 747. The main deck of 747 looks crowded so as the setting in 777.

For an overnight flight it serves the purpose to have a good night sleep but not much more. I always pick the Sleeper Service flights so never have inflight meal service to know anything better. The "bed" itself is more comfortable than the AA lie-flat angle seat for sure and you do not stretch yourself underneath the seat well of the seat in front of you like AA's setup.

Azurik Aug 11, 2010 10:00 am

Originally Posted by Mountain Trader (Post 14461800)

I think he's saying that BA business handily beats business travel on any US legacy carrier, and almost beats a F TATL by them too.

Happy Aug 11, 2010 10:04 am

I am rooting for you to get it because that would be good news for all of us!

We were on a 6 week trip between April 3 and May 16 so I completely missed the one and only incident posted in April. However your quotes pick my interest. So I took the time to quickly read thru pages after the posts you cited - nobody ever posted about the retention bonuses while quite a few posts asking about cancellation effect on their miles. You would think with such generous retention bonus, those who kept wondering if cancellation would ding their miles would have tried the retention bonus route...

Originally Posted by SkinsFan0521 (Post 14460818)
I'm aware that they're from April, but my *assumption* was that not many others have added to the datapoints because lots of people are trying to get to the $30k spend and/or were targetted for that offer that you mentioned over those 3 months and are waiting for their 2-4-1 and/or points to post.

Also, I didn't read any further on this thread or on FW for examples. I didn't start out trying to "prove a point" or anything, I just had a question. Then, when I was told that nobody else remembers such things, I figured that I needed to see if I was making stuff up or not. lol

I will be trying it myself in the next month or so. I hit the $30k spend in my current billing cycle. So, from the information posted on here, it seems like I've got about a month or two before my 2-4-1 posts. Once that happens, I'll be calling to cancel. Plus, my gf has a card that she'll be canceling before the annual fee is due also, so maybe I'll try with her card first.

Churnman Aug 11, 2010 1:12 pm

Originally Posted by joogle (Post 14461077)

Thanks

You are at risk of miles being pulled if you cancel the account within 6 months of opening it. It's best to wait at least 6 months. They reserve the right in their rules to remove the bonus. Besides, it doesn't look good on your history and could effect they way they look at you in the future whether they want you back enough to offer you incentives.

levanta Aug 11, 2010 4:15 pm

Originally Posted by Churnman (Post 14463300)
http://bodybuilderspro.info/pictures...818/random.gifYou are at risk of miles being pulled if you cancel the account within 6 months of opening it. It's best to wait at least 6 months. They reserve the right in their rules to remove the bonus. Besides, it doesn't look good on your history and could effect they way they look at you in the future whether they want you back enough to offer you incentives.

Yea, that's very true. Give it at least a year.