FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Chase | Ultimate Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase-ultimate-rewards-722/)
-   -   [Expired 2009 offer]100,000 miles for new BA Chase VISA (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase-ultimate-rewards/1013709-expired-2009-offer-100-000-miles-new-ba-chase-visa.html)

Happy Feb 21, 2010 2:16 pm

Originally Posted by metallim (Post 13433161)
so i didn't go for the app on the first two rounds of teh link because i had just applied for the cont world mc 45k chase card. on this past time i applied hoping to make it but they're telling me the only way to open the card is by closing the cont world mc. it's been 4 months since it was opened. does anyone know forsure if continental will revoke my miles? anyone had experience with similar timeframes?

It is Chase who would debit your mileage account and the affinity programs just act accordingly. Check if the 6 month clause in the CO card fine print. They are definitely in the UA and Marriott cards fine print. And Chas for a fact did debit the correspondent UA account when card was canceled before 6 months up.

Originally Posted by metallim (Post 13433201)
i also just checked the old application in the t&c's it says nothing about needing to have the card open for any given amount of time in order to get the points.... what am i missing? (and yes, i know, this is the ba 100k forum, but who are we kidding, at this point it's the anything remotely relevant to ba 100k card forum)

It is up to you whether you want to play it safe (and to stay on the good side of Chase, i.e. your SSN is not flagged for some notation, such as "related to card cancellation shortly after opening..." - pure guess, but it seems Chase does flag accounts based on whatever triggers its fraud alert system.)

richarddd Feb 21, 2010 2:25 pm

i also just checked the old application in the t&c's it says nothing about needing to have the card open for any given amount of time in order to get the points.... what am i missing? (and yes, i know, this is the ba 100k forum, but who are we kidding, at this point it's the anything remotely relevant to ba 100k card forum)

That Chase might take the points away and you'll have no real recourse. Is it worth the risk?

buschoi Feb 21, 2010 3:38 pm

FT does not yet have any "data point" about Chase taking away 100,000 BA miles. I understand that for Chase doing it with the UA card does not necessarily mean it will happen to Chase-BA. I am merely suggesting anyone who has canceled the card within 6 months of opening to report back.

In fact, I don't see how difficult it is to put the card in the drawer until the 6th month anniversary to cancel rather than risking the 100,000 miles.

Happy Feb 21, 2010 4:23 pm

Originally Posted by buschoi (Post 13433940)
FT does not yet have any "data point" about Chase taking away 100,000 BA miles. I understand that for Chase doing it with the UA card does not necessarily mean it will happen to Chase-BA. I am merely suggesting anyone who has canceled the card within 6 months of opening to report back.

In fact, I don't see how difficult it is to put the card in the drawer until the 6th month anniversary to cancel rather than risking the 100,000 miles.

Exactly! If one wants to free up the CL, just tell Chase to lower it to the 5K minimum, or even downgrade it to a 2K Plat version. Why people are so eager to X the card is beyond me, especially at least one poster who wants to get a prorated refund on the $75 fee... Being too cheap could sometimes backfire badly. Just a thought. One really needs to look at a broader picture and not just counting every penny in this game if one wants to be able to play it in the long run.

nsr Feb 21, 2010 4:33 pm

Originally Posted by Happy (Post 13432305)
It is Chase policy for all their cards with annual fee - fee is only refunded within 60 days from the billing date (not from the statement closing date on which the fee is billed.)

Just a small correction, each card might have a different time frame. CO for example, it's 30 days rather than 60.

dhammer53 Feb 21, 2010 9:56 pm

Originally Posted by dhammer53 (Post 13208049)
One week to the day (since application).

BA account number received earlier today. ^

My 100,000 miles posted a little over 1 month from receipt of the card. I'm still waiting for the bill to arrive. :o

jeelele Feb 22, 2010 4:26 am

Originally Posted by dhammer53 (Post 13435855)
My 100,000 miles posted a little over 1 month from receipt of the card. I'm still waiting for the bill to arrive. :o

Are you saying that your miles posted before the statement was closed?

I would expect that the miles post only after the statement is closed. In which case, I am assuming that you have not signed up for online access to your credit card account and that would worry me. Not receiving a statement in mail does not mean that the statement has not closed. You may have a balance on your account which you would need to pay regardless of whether the you have received the bill in the mail or not which could affect your credit history. If this all true, I would suggest that you proactively call Chase customer service and sort this out.

Colonel(Ret.)Wes Feb 22, 2010 11:16 am

today got my declination letter for 2nd effort at getting the Chase BA visa card.
followed the advice given a few posts above and with The Frugal Travel Guys encouragement
called Chase. Reason given for declination this time (1st time was I had just applied
for/rcvd the Marriott Visa in Oct) this time I had 13 credit inquiries, 9 cards rcvd so
Chase wanted to see how I handled these new cards. Said, I do not understand this
declination rationale since I have a crdt score above 775, with perfect payment history (zero
credit balance on any, pay them all at end of month) for all cc (about 600/600 over 30 yrs)....Was brutally honest and told the CSR the reason I apply for/rcve multiple credit cards (except AMX-P for loung/cruise
benefits) is to get FF miles. I asked her is there any way to reconsider if I cancel
the Marriott or reduce the 21K limit....she went to check with a manager...the answer given 3 minutes ago...YES, providing I canx the Marriott...woo hoo thx FTr's

Eurosport Feb 22, 2010 11:45 am

how long has regular application been down?
ba.com regular link to app it's down
need a card for a family member even 30k bonus is fine... household acct ftw

Witold Feb 22, 2010 11:45 am

This is a newb question, but I will throw it out there anyway. I see 100K FF miles and I am thinking this is a lot of miles and I can actually go somewhere for nearly free.

I look up how much WAS to BKK is and it is 120K or 140K (website is too convoluted to figure out). Using partial miles and counting "taxes and fees" the flight cost is still more than buying directly with no miles on any website like Travelocity. What's the deal here.

Will this 100,000 miles get me anywhere to Asia from East Coast? It doesn't look like it, but maybe you guys know how to do this?

Eurosport Feb 22, 2010 11:55 am

Originally Posted by Witold (Post 13439426)
This is a newb question, but I will throw it out there anyway. I see 100K FF miles and I am thinking this is a lot of miles and I can actually go somewhere for nearly free.

I look up how much WAS to BKK is and it is 120K or 140K (website is too convoluted to figure out). Using partial miles and counting "taxes and fees" the flight cost is still more than buying directly with no miles on any website like Travelocity. What's the deal here.

Will this 100,000 miles get me anywhere to Asia from East Coast? It doesn't look like it, but maybe you guys know how to do this?

sorry but you'll never find a business class ticket on travelocity for how much miles and fees would be.
even if you do need 120k for a flight, getting the rest of 20k would be not that bad, 2 spg(1pers, 1biz) bonuses and you're already there sitting at 125k.

Witold Feb 22, 2010 12:01 pm

Originally Posted by Eurosport (Post 13439500)
sorry but you'll never find a business class ticket on travelocity for how much miles and fees would be.
even if you do need 120k for a flight, getting the rest of 20k would be not that bad, 2 spg(1pers, 1biz) bonuses and you're already there sitting at 125k.

For me, travel is about destination, not actual flying. I just want to get somewhere as cheaply as possible and don't mind coach. BA will not sell me 20K miles I would be short, only 19K and for this they want $550+, which also sounds ridiculous. Add in the fees and taxes and it's the same price or more than Travelocity without any of the FF hassle.

I thought that having 100K BA miles would actually get me closer to Asia but at first glance these BA miles look pretty worthless for such a trip.

BlueDog Feb 22, 2010 12:24 pm

Originally Posted by Witold (Post 13439565)
I thought that having 100K BA miles would actually get me closer to Asia but at first glance these BA miles look pretty worthless for such a trip.

Have you looked at partner airlines? From the chart you can fly from North America to Asia for 50K miles in coach. Not sure about east coast, but I've seen awards (but never booked) on CX or JL from the west coast.

moondog Feb 22, 2010 12:25 pm

I look up how much WAS to BKK is and it is 120K or 140K (website is too convoluted to figure out).

To get 25k/50k awards to Asia, you can only fly ONE airline. So you should focus on finding flights from JFK, YYZ, LAX, SFO, ORD, YVR to HKG or NRT and then look for onward flights to BKK.

Henwurst Feb 22, 2010 12:40 pm

Indeed it may look that way at first glance, but if you dig a bit deeper into the website you'll see that awards on partner airlines can come out really cheap. North America to the Far East via the pacific should come out to 50k miles as long as you keep all your travel on one single airline. I have been unsuccessful in booking a complex itinerary online (I'll probably have to call when the time comes), but at least YVR-NRT on Japan airlines prices out correctly online.

The trick is not to use the miles to fly on BA, even though that is what the website initially wants you to do.