Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Best credit card coversion rate to Asiamiles in 2009? (For FTers based in HK)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best credit card coversion rate to Asiamiles in 2009? (For FTers based in HK)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2011, 8:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by percysmith
$100 eligible spending on HSBC:
= $2.4 (Octopus Rewards)
= 36 miles ($2.78/mile)

$2.4 = 36 miles
Each mile = $0.066

Most of us will have a much higher value per mile than that, definitely go for miles (subject to earning back the $300 program cost to change miles!)
i believe christep has far too many miles (than he can use) - anyway, how did the F redemption go?
Old Sep 1, 2011, 8:59 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by kaka
i believe christep has far too many miles (than he can use) - anyway, how did the F redemption go?
Nowhere

My sister-in-law's father just passed away. My brother's kids are flying back on paid tickets with my brother. My niece had the balls to ask "do we get Upper Class?"
Old Sep 1, 2011, 9:02 pm

Citibank - $50 for $1,000 dining 1 Sep-31 Oct

For those of you who have Premiermiles or Plat Rewards:

http://www.citibank.com.hk/HKGCB/APP...s_the_town.htm

3. Dining Spending is applicable to transactions that are posted in Hong Kong dollars only and refers to any transactions in restaurants within Hong Kong while transactions for banguet services, private parties / functions, private room events, dining outlets in department stores, associations, and clubhouses and excluded. The Dining Spending shall be determined at the sole and absolute discretion of Citibank / Diners or merchant codes by Visa International /MasterCard Asia / Diners.
No hotel exclusions...gd...too bad I am churning Citibank

Careful of this term tho:

5. Cash Rebate entitled will be used to offset the Dining Spending from November 1, 2011 to December 31, 2011 (“Transaction Period”) at local restaurants (If the amount of Dining Spending is less than the Cash Rebate amount, the remaining amount will be forfeited). Cash Rebate will be automatically credited to the Eligible Card account on or before January 31, 2012. Cash Rebate for Supplementary Cardholders/Cardmembers will be credited to Principal Cardholders/Cardmembers credit card account.
So don't put away your Citibank immediately - pay one more meal in November with it.
Old Sep 1, 2011, 9:05 pm
Suspended

Nowhere

My sister-in-law's father just passed away. My brother's kids are flying back on paid tickets with my brother. My niece had the balls to ask "do we get Upper Class?"
next thing to do introduce her to FT! but any chance of upgrading to PE? or not wasting miles on all of them?

OTOH, my condolences...
Old Sep 1, 2011, 9:23 pm
Suspended

so it's 5% rebate (depending if you can round it right) on top of $8/mile .
unless your value is over $0.213/mile, you're better off using the citibank offer.

my dad has those cards (not me i'm churning, and he wont be bothered with churning esp they are giving away JET tickets and he needs the shell card). do 1) those cards rebate seperately and 2) supp. cards rebate seperately?

right; I've answered myself

1) "4. ...snip... Each eligible credit card account is entitled to a maximum value of HK$500 Cash Rebate in a month and a maximum value of HK$1,000 Cash Rebate throughout the Promotion Period."

So each card is seperate and caps at $10000/month.

2) "5. ...snip... Cash Rebate for Supplementary Cardholders/Cardmembers will be credited to Principal Cardholders/Cardmembers credit card account."

Supp cards rebates along with principle card - as 1 credit card account.

Last edited by kaka; Sep 1, 2011 at 9:29 pm
Old Sep 1, 2011, 9:42 pm

so it's 5% rebate (depending if you can round it right) on top of $8/mile .
unless your value is over $0.213/mile, you're better off using the citibank offer.
Yep
Can also consider the BEA $200 for $2,000 offer if your threshhold is low enough.

my dad has those cards (not me i'm churning, and he wont be bothered with churning esp they are giving away JET tickets and he needs the shell card). do 1) those cards rebate seperately and 2) supp. cards rebate seperately?
My understanding of the Citibank offer is JET ticket plus up to 10,000 miles http://www.citibank.com.hk/HKGCB/APP...m_visacard.htm .

It's good enough for the 10,000 miles alone (need $20,000 spending; but I understand you still earn normal $8/mile in the $20,000). But it's hard to get parents to churn.
Old Sep 1, 2011, 10:27 pm
Suspended

Yep
Can also consider the BEA $200 for $2,000 offer if your threshhold is low enough.

My understanding of the Citibank offer is JET ticket plus up to 10,000 miles http://www.citibank.com.hk/HKGCB/APP...m_visacard.htm .

It's good enough for the 10,000 miles alone (need $20,000 spending; but I understand you still earn normal $8/mile in the $20,000). But it's hard to get parents to churn.
churning secondary cards might be ok. i know my parents hardly use it. but is it ok to churn citiPM *but not* the other citi cards?
talking about which citiPM might be useful - outside HK (esp in UK where AMEX rates are nuts) and they have HSBC, citi shell, citi PM, citi octopus, and SCB VI. Not gonna bother with fubon cuz of the stupid points cap and HKD20000 cap/transaction depending on your luck. as you say, telling parents to do silly things wrt cards with just give myself a hard time. I might just register my dad for dining w HSBC... if he still has the card. that'd be after this citi deal anyway.
Old Sep 1, 2011, 11:49 pm

Programs: Marco Polo
My understanding of the Citibank offer is JET ticket plus up to 10,000 miles.
How where and when do you move reward points to miles? Everything in online banking says this service is not available for your card blah blah blah. I assume the reward points are separate from the 10000 miles as well.
Old Sep 2, 2011, 12:51 am

churning secondary cards might be ok. i know my parents hardly use it. but is it ok to churn citiPM *but not* the other citi cards?
You need to churn all cards.

Oh I get it - your dad needs to keep his Citibank Shell Platinum card.

My parent's car is a company car and is always refueled with Shell. They use a Shell Card account. If they use the Citibank Shell Platinum card then they can save $0.8/L. But since it's a business expense borne by the outside shareholders as well I really don't want to touch that.

talking about which citiPM might be useful - outside HK (esp in UK where AMEX rates are nuts) and they have HSBC, citi shell, citi PM, citi octopus, and SCB VI. Not gonna bother with fubon cuz of the stupid points cap and HKD20000 cap/transaction depending on your luck. as you say, telling parents to do silly things wrt cards with just give myself a hard time. I might just register my dad for dining w HSBC... if he still has the card. that'd be after this citi deal anyway.
Yeah fine. Tell them to use Citi PM in UK.

Do they ever come up with a Chip and PIN-only terminal where the Citibank HK PM isn't accepted? Australia's going Chip and PIN soon...
Old Sep 2, 2011, 2:38 am
Suspended

You need to churn all cards.

Oh I get it - your dad needs to keep his Citibank Shell Platinum card.

My parent's car is a company car and is always refueled with Shell. They use a Shell Card account. If they use the Citibank Shell Platinum card then they can save $0.8/L. But since it's a business expense borne by the outside shareholders as well I really don't want to touch that.

Yeah fine. Tell them to use Citi PM in UK.

Do they ever come up with a Chip and PIN-only terminal where the Citibank HK PM isn't accepted? Australia's going Chip and PIN soon...
UK, unlike continental europe ESPECIALLY HOLLAND, and many unmanned train/gas station, usually accept non chip-and-pin. sometimes they want to see your identification tho. Also, i have yet to go somewhere that forces DCC on you in the UK. I have once made the shop make a 15 minute call to the card center because they wanted to see my ID and I felt like not giving it to them and see what would happen (in fact, the shop didnt have the right to, and they made up a reason that the card center wants this enforced. Obviously they called the card center and when I spoke to them to "verify my details", the card center told me this wasn't necessary)
Old Sep 2, 2011, 3:17 am

I have once made the shop make a 15 minute call to the card center because they wanted to see my ID and I felt like not giving it to them and see what would happen (in fact, the shop didnt have the right to, and they made up a reason that the card center wants this enforced. Obviously they called the card center and when I spoke to them to "verify my details", the card center told me this wasn't necessary)
According to Visa rules, only requirement to see ID is if signature not matched to card http://www.uiowa.edu/~fustreas/visa_...ty.pdf#page=26

The shop called in a Code 10 just cos your card overrode Chip and PIN (i.e. is a non-UK standard card) and you refused to show ID. The acquirer's refusal was correct, they've no reason to see it.
Old Sep 2, 2011, 4:53 am

Programs: SQ QPP1, HYATT DIA, SPG GOLD, HH GOLD, IHG GOLD
After some thoughts and considering that my dining transaction is not that much as compared to overseas transactions, I am thinking of dedicating the HSBC 5x Extra Reward Cash promo to overseas transactions. Also considering that merchants in many countries don't really accept AE, which render the SCB AE pretty useless.

The $4/mile offered by SCB Visa Platinum for dining should be sufficient for me and I may not even exhaust all the HK$100k cap for dining alone on the HSBC promo.
Old Sep 2, 2011, 6:54 am
Suspended

Programs: None any more
This is indeed part of the problem. I have about 180,000 miles expiring in each of the next 3 years, and basically I want to redeem them for an F RT to the UK (or Europe) each year. So far I'm having no luck. What's the point of earning yet more miles that I can't use in the way I want? I'd rather have the cash back.

Currently the flights I want are:
CX257 F4 A4 J9 C9 D9 I6 Y9 B9 H9 K9 M9 L0 V0 S0 N9 Q0 O8
CX252 F4 A4 J9 C9 D9 I9 Y9 B9 H9 K9 M9 L1 V8 S0 N9 Q0 O9

Why on earth won't they release one F seat?
Old Sep 2, 2011, 7:37 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by MilesBuzz
After some thoughts and considering that my dining transaction is not that much as compared to overseas transactions, I am thinking of dedicating the HSBC 5x Extra Reward Cash promo to overseas transactions. Also considering that merchants in many countries don't really accept AE, which render the SCB AE pretty useless.

The $4/mile offered by SCB Visa Platinum for dining should be sufficient for me and I may not even exhaust all the HK$100k cap for dining alone on the HSBC promo.
Same reasoning for me: I dont go to china and foreign spending goes to fubon (mildly worse at $3/mile), dining at $4/mile. home usually has other promotions so i'd not put my bet there. lifestyle it goes for me, especially when i do the travel shopping for my family.
Old Sep 2, 2011, 9:22 am
Suspended

DBS Black Bazaar:
10%bonus/1000AM(@48DB$ or 12000points)

BTW, does log-on allow super-e card topup? or only at citysuper?

Last edited by kaka; Sep 2, 2011 at 10:49 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.