Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

CX WILL interline to other oneworld airlines if travelling on separate PNRs

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 12, 2016, 10:18 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Calchas
As of 1 January 2017, CX will interline on separate tickets to their airline partners once again.

to 31 Dec 2016 CX Agents' advisory http://www.cxagents.com/cxa/gc/en_HK/ln2
from 1 Jan 2017 http://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_H...e-tickets.html

Ausbt article: http://www.ausbt.com.au/cathay-pacif...-baggage-rules
http://www.ausbt.com.au/did-oneworld...of-a-nightmare
http://www.ausbt.com.au/oneworld-air...ecting-flights

AA: will not check through separate PNRs (own or partner) https://ssc.aa.com/prmportal_enu/Age...%20Tickets.pdf
MH: still check through two PNRs (own or partner)
CX/KA: check through CX/KA separate PNRs. Will resume checking through to partners starting 1 Jan 2017 http://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_H...e-tickets.html
JL: Will through check. http://www.jal.co.jp/en/info/inter/161003.html
QR: will check through separate PNRs (own or partner) from 01 MAR. https://www.ausbt.com.au/qatar-airways-ditches-oneworld-s-restrictive-baggage-rules
QF: Will check through QF to QF separate PNRs, will not check through partner separate PNRs (from 1 Sep 2016)
BA: Will not check through partner or other airlines' separate PNRs. WIll not check through BA-BA on seperate PNR's (as of 15 Nov 16)
IB: Will check through IB to IB separate PNRs
LA: will not check through separate PNRs (own or partner)
AY: Will check through AY to AY separate PNRs, will not check through partner separate PNRs
Print Wikipost

CX WILL interline to other oneworld airlines if travelling on separate PNRs

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2016, 9:54 pm

Programs: BA Gold OWE
Originally Posted by limeca
16JUN - Flew from HKG to TPE on CX (Y class) and from TPE to KUL (J class) on two separate PNRs. Checked-in at Hong Kong station and the agent said that Cathay will not through check-in bags not on the same reservation
Which airline was the TPE to KUL segment?
Old Jun 22, 2016, 11:34 pm

Originally Posted by sxc
Was this CX to CX or CX to MH?

If it is CX to CX, they should have checked through according to their rules.
Originally Posted by toplayer
Which airline was the TPE to KUL segment?
In the context of the question and this thread, I would have thought fairly apparent that TPE-KUL was on MH (or at least not on CX), but I'm sure the OP will be back to clarify.
Old Jun 23, 2016, 12:37 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
stargold: not apparent due to ex-TPE fares!
Old Jun 23, 2016, 2:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Moscowflyer
Could be a BA system glitch or maybe they really do sell tickets 50% cheaper to the public than to TAs.
No, but BA will differentiate on point-of-sale, so if your TA is based in a different sales city to the online sales point, the prices may differ.
Old Jun 23, 2016, 7:24 am

Programs: CX MPC, EY Guest
Originally Posted by sxc
Was this CX to CX or CX to MH?

If it is CX to CX, they should have checked through according to their rules.
Originally Posted by stargold
In the context of the question and this thread, I would have thought fairly apparent that TPE-KUL was on MH (or at least not on CX), but I'm sure the OP will be back to clarify.
Apologies; left out the fact that it was indeed from CX to MH; on a separate note, staff at the CX lounge in TPE were not happy when I presented my MH J boarding pass to enter.
Old Jun 23, 2016, 5:15 pm

Programs: OZ *G; HH Diamond;
Originally Posted by limeca
Apologies; left out the fact that it was indeed from CX to MH; on a separate note, staff at the CX lounge in TPE were not happy when I presented my MH J boarding pass to enter.
That's out of line, as long as One World has not changed its policy. The current policy is that any same day OW boarding pass will get you in!
Old Jun 24, 2016, 12:23 am

Programs: CX Diamond, BA Gold, *A Silver, Accor Diamond
Originally Posted by Calchas
No, but BA will differentiate on point-of-sale, so if your TA is based in a different sales city to the online sales point, the prices may differ.
Thanks for this. As it happens we were both in Hong Kong but with VPNs and global reservations systems, who knows what happened. At least my TA was aware of the interlining issue whereas another very large TA attached to a very large card service suggested I ask at check-in if they'd interline my bags. A little late by then I thought!
But it all worked out well, into the UK via AMS, out via ZRH meant I gave the very minimum to BA for my travel on them to connect with my CX flights.
Old Jun 24, 2016, 1:22 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by Moscowflyer
At least my TA was aware of the interlining issue whereas another very large TA attached to a very large card service suggested I ask at check-in if they'd interline my bags.
Centurion Travel Services or Platinum Travel Services attached to Amex Centurion/Amex Plat Charge?

Found PTS to be pretty sloppy when I was still cardholder.
Old Jun 24, 2016, 2:24 am

Programs: CX Diamond, BA Gold, *A Silver, Accor Diamond
Originally Posted by percysmith
Centurion Travel Services or Platinum Travel Services attached to Amex Centurion/Amex Plat Charge?

Found PTS to be pretty sloppy when I was still cardholder.
PTS, yes. Very pleasant but ultimately didn't have a clue as to the rules. On the other hand the first I heard of this change was here on FT so I guess it hasn't been widely publicised by the airlines to their passengers.
Old Jun 25, 2016, 2:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Originally Posted by Rivarix
A couple of questions on this:
1) since this is flyertalk, presumably the main reason people in this forum have two PNRs because we're mixing redemption and paid ticket. Can/will TA merge your PNRs if u redeem online/through MPC and buy the paid ticket from TA?
2) For 2 paid tickets, if you buy one now and one much later (say due to change of plan) from the same TA, can they still merge it? I guess I'm wondering if a TA can add a second ticket to the PNR months after it is issued.
Its not that simple...
If you book and paid for your ticket (award or revenue) somewhere else and asks your TA to add that info to your ticket you're buying from him/her, the information is not 'live' which means that the airline effective sees it as two separate reservations.

So say :

Main PNR - XYXYXY
CX 123 Y 12JUL HKGSYD HK1 (booked through TA) Record locator: XYXYXY
LA 121 Y 13JUL SYDAKL GK1 (award booking) Record locator : BLANK

So when CX looks at the booking, it will only see CX as live and LA as 'info' only. LA basically has its own Record locator and it won't be the same as the CX one.

In order to have all PNR under one record locator, you need to book all segments in the same GDS. But you may ticket them separately.

I will use SABRE GDS as an example :

Main PNR - ABCDEF
LA 121 Y 13JUL SYDAKL GK1 (award booking) Record locator : QRSTUV

When CX pulls up the booking, it will see both reservations under one main PNR even though LA has its own PNR.

It might be simpler if everyone has AMADEUS - which CX, QF, BA, IB does...
so if you book through an AMDEUS equipped TA, all bookings will show under the same PNR even though you might have ticketed them separately.
Old Jun 25, 2016, 7:05 am

Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
Its not that simple...
If you book and paid for your ticket (award or revenue) somewhere else and asks your TA to add that info to your ticket you're buying from him/her, the information is not 'live' which means that the airline effective sees it as two separate reservations.

So say :

Main PNR - XYXYXY
LA 121 Y 13JUL SYDAKL GK1 (award booking) Record locator : BLANK

So when CX looks at the booking, it will only see CX as live and LA as 'info' only. LA basically has its own Record locator and it won't be the same as the CX one.

In order to have all PNR under one record locator, you need to book all segments in the same GDS. But you may ticket them separately.

I will use SABRE GDS as an example :

Main PNR - ABCDEF
LA 121 Y 13JUL SYDAKL GK1 (award booking) Record locator : QRSTUV

When CX pulls up the booking, it will see both reservations under one main PNR even though LA has its own PNR.

It might be simpler if everyone has AMADEUS - which CX, QF, BA, IB does...
so if you book through an AMDEUS equipped TA, all bookings will show under the same PNR even though you might have ticketed them separately.
Does it means we could still interline between CX & BA if I book both tickets booked via their official website which both using AMDEUS as I saw both tickets in my Marco Polo account? Thanks

Last edited by kehkh; Jun 25, 2016 at 7:35 am
Old Jun 26, 2016, 6:21 pm

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
Originally Posted by kehkh
Does it means we could still interline between CX & BA if I book both tickets booked via their official website which both using AMDEUS as I saw both tickets in my Marco Polo account? Thanks
I believe they must be the same booking. Showing up in your MPC account is probably not enough.
Old Jun 27, 2016, 12:58 am

Programs: AS 100K
so from reading the wiki, CX will check your bag to your destination when flying on two separate PNRs (CX to CX/KA). how about protection in case there's a delay. Would they book me on the next CX/KA flight?

I'm flying AKL-HKG on one AS-award and HKG-PVG on a second BA-award. I'm hoping they'll check me in for both flights in AKL and are able to protect me just in case the flight from AKL is delayed.
Old Jun 28, 2016, 3:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by atcanobbio
so from reading the wiki, CX will check your bag to your destination when flying on two separate PNRs (CX to CX/KA). how about protection in case there's a delay. Would they book me on the next CX/KA flight?

I'm flying AKL-HKG on one AS-award and HKG-PVG on a second BA-award. I'm hoping they'll check me in for both flights in AKL and are able to protect me just in case the flight from AKL is delayed.
This is covered by CX's terms and conditions (contract of carriage). They will protect connecting flights - which are defined as same or separate tickets.

See 10.2.2 of this: https://www.cathaypacific.com/conten...baggage-en.pdf
Old Jun 28, 2016, 5:36 am

Programs: CX DM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton DM, Marriott Plat
Anyone has experience about the following?

Fly CX HKG-CMB, 4 hours later, QR CMB-DOH-BOS.
Is there a chance I could ask the check in agent to interline my baggage to BOS? Would being a CX DM help?

If yes, I guess I should be able to get all 3 boarding passes.

If not, would I still be able to get my onward QR boarding pass from CX?

Thanks very much.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.