Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Changes to MPC announced for 15 Apr 2016

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 2, 2015, 3:08 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: sxc
Related threads:

What are the best value segments under the new system?

Switching out of Marco Polo: What do you choose and why?

FAQs as answered by AgencyGuy:

When will the mid-tier benefits be awarded?
They will be awarded as the member hits the mid-tier milestone. Not at the end of the membership year. These will be valid for a year commencing the day they are granted. No points are deduced when members are awarded these benefits.

Does that mean a member reaching 1800 tier points will get all three mid-tier benefits?
Yes, each benefit will be made available as the member hits the 1400, 1600 and 1800 point milestones

What mid-tier benefits will be awarded as of the conversion date of 15 April 2016?
The mid-tier benefits will kick in automatically after 15th April, if your converted club points balance exceeds the mid-tier thresholds. So for a Diamond tier member, if your converted balance is 1800 points you will immediately have access to two first class lounge guest passes, four bookable upgrades and one companion Gold card.

A Gold member on his/her way to Diamond pick up four short/medium upgrades along the way, but a renewing Diamond gets nothing?
You are correct, Silver, Gold or Diamond members on their way to renewal, don’t get additional benefits until they reach the mid-tier thresholds. But they will get there, I guess the benefits are designed to recognize members who go the extra mile after they have passed their renewal thresholds.

Is there any requirement on the underlying booking sub-classes when using a mid-tier upgrade "coupon"?
Yes, the original flight needs to be booked in an “upgradable” sub-class, the same sub-classes that qualify for Asia Miles upgrades

Is economy upgraded to Premium Economy or business for flights with Premium Economy?
It is always a one class upgrade so Economy to Premium Economy, if a flight does not have Premium Economy then the upgrade is to Business.

Are the sub-classes for the upgraded bookings A, I, and E (if applicable)?
I don’t know what these subclasses are yet other than that they will be revenue instead of redemption sub-classes. I guess they will be announced later.

What miles will be awarded for a flight upgraded using a upgrade coupon? The original ticket class, or the upgraded class?
I understand that both points and miles will be credited based on the upgraded class.

Green Re-Qualification
For Green members, if their membership year ends before 15 April 2016, like now, their membership will automatically be renewed. If their membership ends after 15 April and they have ANY club points at that time, they will be automatically renewed for another year (even if they are below 100 pts). If their membership ends after 15 April and they have no club points at that time, they will lose their Green membership or have the option of paying the US$100 fee to renew.
Print Wikipost

Changes to MPC announced for 15 Apr 2016

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2015, 8:27 pm

Programs: CX MPO DM, Le Club Accor Platinum, World of Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by G-CIVC
Yup I pretty much think so. So they're encouraging ex-XXX activity...
Horay for exMNL!
Old Sep 29, 2015, 8:35 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
1) will club points get reset
2) where it says gold upgrade vouchers are for short/mid haul only?
Old Sep 29, 2015, 8:36 pm

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
this is an awesome thread, but where did it get moved to?

Nevermind - found it...at the veerrrry top. Where it belongs!

Last edited by QRC3288; Sep 29, 2015 at 8:40 pm Reason: found it
Old Sep 29, 2015, 8:37 pm

Programs: CX GO (in hibernation mode), AA EXP, SPG GO, HH DM
Originally Posted by kesler.go
So if you want to re-qualify for another year, you need to do it before the April 15th transition?
I just emailed MPC since my membership year ends in May '16. I would've requalified as GO since I have a trip in May. With this change I'm unsure how many points I'll have as my summary doesn't reflect the new points value. Has anyone else logged in to see their miles being converted into points as they stated? What is also interesting is that my buddy who has a Canadian Amex was automatically given another year of GO though he only fly one RT to HK....CX needs to hurry up and bring over a mileage credit card here to the States. I should've thought harder about switching to AA earlier this year.

Last edited by dek526; Sep 29, 2015 at 8:46 pm
Old Sep 29, 2015, 8:44 pm

Originally Posted by dek526
With this change I'm unsure how many points I'll have as my summary doesn't reflect the new points value. Has anyone else logged in to see their miles being converted into points as they stated?
The miles-converter-to-points thing agencyguy linked to is not working for me, either.
Old Sep 29, 2015, 8:46 pm

Programs: CX MPO DM, Le Club Accor Platinum, World of Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by dek526
I just emailed MPC since my membership year ends in May '16. I would've requalified as GO since I have a trip in May. With this change I'm unsure how many points I'll have as my summary doesn't reflect the new points value. Has anyone else logged in to see their miles being converted into points as they stated?
I made a quick computation, based on the new system, I'm still gonna qualify for DM by July if the points are based on per sector. ^^^

although I just wish they did it at the end of my membership year instead.
Old Sep 29, 2015, 8:48 pm

Programs: CX GO (in hibernation mode), AA EXP, SPG GO, HH DM
Originally Posted by kesler.go
I made a quick computation, based on the new system, I'm still gonna qualify for DM by July if the points are based on per sector. ^^^

although I just wish they did it at the end of my membership year instead.

ya it sucks cuz I would've made GO again for '16-'17 but since the change is effective 15/04/16 I think I may be SOL. Glad you're able to make DM but sucks for people that are close to with this change made effective so close to their member year. it looks like it'll be impossible to make GO again...FML
Old Sep 29, 2015, 8:53 pm

So far, I have a few thoughts:

*Overall, not as bad as I was expecting. I still see a fairly simple path for me to stay DM and still have massive discretion over 50%+ of my airline spend.

CX has given DMs an incentive to stay loyal. Thank you! Upgrade certs are huge. It appears GOs can use them for short- and mid-haul only, while DMs can use them anywhere. This is just fantastic.

Seat guarantee is a massive downgrade. So bad I wonder if it's a typo to not include sub fareclasses. It in essence neuters the "benefit", even for corporates - many who fly C fares for biz or B fares for EY. The difference between C and J is often not substantial, same with Y and B.

Questions
1.) Are lounge passes one-offs, or actual annual passes? For example, if I give to a partner or friend, is that pass gone once they use it? Or do I have a pass to give two people all year? This is not a huge carrot...fyi as pointed out above.

2.) Is the seat guarantee change a typo? I mean, this is so bad I assume it's a mistake. This really isn't much of a benefit if J or Y only. I rarely fly those fare classes, and even if I do...my destinations usually have seats. JFK has 4x daily, LAX 4x daily, SFO 2-3x daily, I almost never find a situation where no seat is available. Useless.

3.) CX's attempt at lounge crowding help isn't going to work. I presume they're patting themselves on the back for forbidding non-oneworld or CX/KA passengers in. Okay, so I'll lose lounge access when flying out of HKG on BR, EK or SQ. Big deal. I'll still get it for CX, KA and QR.
Old Sep 29, 2015, 8:54 pm

I can see CX trying to appease to arguments made in that "MPC to go way of PPS rumor" thread by keeping all current tier benefits unchanged; yet being able to maintain its own interest of rewarding frequent F/J fliers by allowing them to earn status faster under the current points system. And in addition lounge overcrowding will be reduced since part of the SL bunch will be wiped out under this new points earning system.

CX pretty much got what they wanted, except that they should expect to lose part of the price sensitive pack, particularly those who stayed loyal for the sake of keeping SL.
Old Sep 29, 2015, 8:58 pm

Originally Posted by GE90-115B
I can see CX trying to appease to arguments made in that "MPC to go way of PPS rumor" thread by keeping all current tier benefits unchanged; yet being able to maintain its own interest of rewarding frequent F/J fliers by allowing them to earn status faster under the current points system. And in addition lounge overcrowding will be reduced since part of the SL bunch will be wiped out under this new points earning system.

CX pretty much got what they wanted, except that they should expect to lose part of the price sensitive pack, particularly those who stayed loyal for the sake of keeping SL.
I agree. Overall it is not as much as I was dreading, and I think credit goes to whoever designed this. I'll wait for others to chime in and get more info as it unfolds but overall I think personally I'll be well-receiving the changes, particularly the upgrades after hitting DM and Gold companion pass (my partner has no status...). Off the top of my head I think I might actually put some revenue back to CX as a result! Just need to think a little more, see what everyone else in here has to say, and hear more details from CX.

First impression is relieved and kinda impressed! There are bad (seat guarantee) but net overall I feel it's okay for my needs. I'm sure others might feel differently.
Old Sep 29, 2015, 9:00 pm

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
Originally Posted by kaka
1) will club points get reset
2) where it says gold upgrade vouchers are for short/mid haul only?
1. Yes, See FAQ:
“4. When will the Marco Polo Club changes take effect?
The Marco Polo Club changes will take effect starting 15 April 2016. Until then, you will continue to achieve tier status based on the current club miles and club sectors programme. To support your transition, on 15 April 2016, the Marco Polo Club will convert the higher balance of either your club miles or club sectors proportionately to club points. Your current membership period does not change, and lasts 12 months from the date you have enrolled, renewed, upgraded or downgraded from your current tier.

2. Go to: http://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_H...-benefits.html. Click "Gold". Under "Mid-tier benefits", Click "Notes":
“Bookable Upgrades

Bookable Upgrades will be available for a single-sector for one cabin class up on flights operated and marketed by Cathay Pacific/Dragonair. Gold members will be able to redeem Bookable Upgrades for ultra-short to medium haul destinations. Diamond members will be able to redeem Bookable Upgrades for all destinations.”
Old Sep 29, 2015, 9:04 pm

Programs: QF SG(LTS) - AA LTG(1MM)
Another barely 60K flyer who will see 400 to 450 points if I continue my past patterns.

Somewhere in the web pages (FAQ?) it is stated that as of 16 Apr 16, your mileage or points will be converted to points on a pro-rated basis (which ever yields more). So will Silver @ 300 and Gold @ 600, I will suggest that if you have 45K miles on that date you will receive 450 points as you new starting/continuing point.

The incentive (ie more points) to fly CX/KA rather than One World partner airlines is there, but not at the more extreme levels QF installed.

The real question is what will happen to the D and I fares from the "special" departing airports.

Happy wandering

Fred
Old Sep 29, 2015, 9:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA & SPG Plat
This is music to my ears.

Before, GO would = 4 Westcoast NA-HKG return trips in J. Now, it's only 3 r/t. Probably less, as most of my travel involves USA-HKG-Asia city.

Wonder if it will even give me an incentive to maintain both AA Plat and CX Gold, as it looks quite easily attainable with ~2 trips. [Exp is out of the question for me] I shall take a deeper analysis later.
Old Sep 29, 2015, 9:09 pm

Programs: CX Green | UA Silver | Marriott Lifetime Platinum | Hyatt Globalist | Hilton Gold | AA EXP
I'm still trying to digest these new rules but the one thing that immediately caught my eyes in the posting by AgencyGuy - Asia Miles earning and redemption will not be impacted by these changes, they continue to be based on the existing mileage model.

So changes are only on the MPC earning side and nothing on the redemption side. Can we assume this means redemption access by partner airlines stay the same as well? If so it is great news indeed because it means I made the right hedging call.

Originally Posted by QRC3288
CX has given DMs an incentive to stay loyal. Thank you! Upgrade certs are huge. It appears GOs can use them for short- and mid-haul only, while DMs can use them anywhere. This is just fantastic.
Yes but without changes to redemption rules by partner airlines, how is it going to help you? It's not like you were short on miles to begin with, no?
Old Sep 29, 2015, 9:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA & SPG Plat
DM's mid-tier 1800 GO companion card seem fairly generous too. You would have thought CX will just throw them a SL or something.

8 long haul J trips annually is quite achievable HK's bread & butter.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.