Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

SIN-HKG equipment lottery [Regional Equipment Swaps]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SIN-HKG equipment lottery [Regional Equipment Swaps]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2014, 12:15 am

Programs: UA 1P, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Looks like my Oct SIN-HKG 747 F has been downgraded to 772 J.
Old Aug 10, 2014, 2:34 am

Programs: TK-G | Accor P | SQ-G | Marriott T
I wonder since now CX DOES sell Y+ ticket ex SIN to Aaian destination like HKG, TPE, Jan, what will happen if they swapped the plane last minute?
Old Aug 10, 2014, 5:52 am

Programs: Marriot Am, MU Pt
Originally Posted by lingua101
I wonder since now CX DOES sell Y+ ticket ex SIN to Aaian destination like HKG, TPE, Jan, what will happen if they swapped the plane last minute?
You get downgraded or upgraded depending on your luck.

But usually when I book a PY fare and one of the sectors isn't available in PY, I'm booked into J instead.
Old Aug 10, 2014, 8:33 am

looking forward to when they finally finish refreshing the last 4 777-200s. then no more lottery! any one knows when they will finally be complete? i see that they have already converted B-HNC
Old Aug 12, 2014, 6:33 am

CX retimed some of their flights CX711 by 15 mins and B773 to A343... on 1st jan and change the equipment as well and i have booked them. no information given till i tried to book same flight for my cousins!
Old Aug 12, 2014, 9:52 pm

While SQ is using nice A380 bird on this route, CX is still using crappy 772 on this route and no F cabin. Sigh.
Old Aug 13, 2014, 7:45 am

Programs: DL PlatMM, BA and Alaska Emerald, HHonors DIA, Accor, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Amb, UA Silver, AA
Originally Posted by kyushuman
Aircraft was changed just an hour before departure. Station manager apologized of the old aircraft.... What gives?
Just checked in an am told its 2-2-2. Is it new biz with 2-2-2?
Edit: Yes, I see there is a 2-class Regional Biz that's new. Still a downgrade but I'm sure it'll be OK.
Anyway, the Regional CX aircraft swap/lottery must have some winners, right? Not me.
Ended up with 33Z-- New Regional Biz Class, 2-2-2. Yes agents apologized since it switched from long haul C to regional... but it wasn't the old one they thought it was.
Service was very good, food was actually much better than expected.
Still complete madness how much switching CX does with these regional flights.
Old Aug 17, 2014, 7:43 am

Programs: CX MPO DM, Le Club Accor Platinum, World of Hyatt Explorist
Lost to this lottery last Saturday! I decided to take the 7am flight instead of the 8am since the 7am said 77W (77G), I picked out 18K because you can get a both a clean shot of the clouds without the wings but angled correctly can also get a good shot of the wing and engine. Fast forward Saturday morning, I decided to check the loading on Expertflyer when I was the plane was switched to 777!!! and to make things worse I was stuck on the row with now windows...and the whole plane was packed with no seats for me to move into.

*Oh and we got delayed, we were about to turn into the runway when the captain came on the PA that there was a problem on one of the doors (4L, I think) so they tried to fix it for a bit but when they couldn't we taxied back to the gate for the engineers to fix the problem. They eventually got it fixed and we left a little before 8am, and got to HKG around 11:50am.
Old Sep 20, 2014, 12:41 pm

Programs: SPG Plat
I am due to fly on CX 791 (HKG-KUL) on 23 Oct and was going to select my seats online when I realised the A330 is in a 1-2-1 configuration... Are these the new long-haul business class seats? What are my chances that I'll actually get them?

Last edited by rooivalk; Sep 20, 2014 at 12:50 pm
Old Sep 20, 2014, 3:48 pm

Programs: VA Silver, QF FF, Priority Club
Originally Posted by rooivalk
I am due to fly on CX 791 (HKG-KUL) on 23 Oct and was going to select my seats online when I realised the A330 is in a 1-2-1 configuration... Are these the new long-haul business class seats? What are my chances that I'll actually get them?
Yes that is the long-haul Cirrus config.

Not sure whether the KUL route is as susceptible to last minute swapping but I don't think it's immune.
Old Sep 20, 2014, 3:53 pm

Programs: VA Silver, QF FF, Priority Club
Originally Posted by mediator
While SQ is using nice A380 bird on this route, CX is still using crappy 772 on this route and no F cabin. Sigh.
Not every flight is a 380.

And there are A330's with their regional J on the route with no F.

CX occasionally puts 744 with F and 77W with F on the HKG-SIN.

And this is not to downplay the fact that the aircraft swaps are frustrating...
Old Sep 20, 2014, 5:30 pm

Programs: MPC, KF, Accor, SPG, HH
Originally Posted by JClasstraveller

Today's 659 oped buy 77H and so is another flight later in the day
Old Sep 23, 2014, 2:53 am

I had an equipment swap out that downgraded me from first to business class. This was about a week before the flight. I booked an award ticket using AA miles LAX-HKG-SIN. CX said that since they gave AA at least a week notice there is no compensation due on the HKG-SIN downgrade and that I should ask AA for compensation. Anyone have a similar experience or advice?
Old Sep 23, 2014, 9:04 am

Originally Posted by JClasstraveller

My point is SQ puts three birds with F cabin on this route consistently.
CX? You gotta buy the equipment lottery for F.
Old Sep 23, 2014, 9:28 am

Programs: Something lifetime here and there
I have been fortunate with the equipment holding on my SIN flights. The 2 trips I had to BKK however, were swapped out (for the better in both cases) for lie-flat albeit on the A-340. One time, after being in the F Wing lounge scanning my BP coming and going (2.5 hrs prior to the departure), I got to the gate and my BP beeped as invalid (my SO's was good to go) and given a new lie-flat on the A-340. I wish they caught it at the lounge there would be a seat change.

CX also swaps out the SGN flights out for the A-340 vs A-333's and 77W's as well.

I would agree though, SQ has a more predictable product on this route vs CX where you are constantly having to check things.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.