Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Best credit card conversion rate to Asiamiles (HK) - 2014 and prior

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 29, 2013, 8:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: sxc
This 2014 and prior thread is now closed. Please continue discussion here: Best Credit card conversion rate to Asiamiles (HK) - 2015
Print Wikipost

Best credit card conversion rate to Asiamiles (HK) - 2014 and prior

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2014, 7:12 am

Originally Posted by ebayhtl
Percysmith - just to confirm (maybe I'm not reading the threads right but doesn't seem 100% clear) - existing Citibank card holders, upon applying for Citibank Prestige card, (1) still get the Asia Miles sign up bonus (30K/40K), but (2) do not get the resort?

I don't care about the resort, so all good if this is the case. Pls confirm, thanks!
just applied for this card last week, cconfirmed by 2 sales at the branch. Yes existing Citi clients will still get the 30k miles after paying the fee.

The way I see it, this is not a welcome offer per se, but more of a "reward" for you for paying the annual fee, therefore upon renewal (paying $2500 again next year), you'll get the miles again. The resort part is the welcome offer, so existing clients won't receive that.

I's my first time with Citi and I applied for both the Prestige and the PremierMiles this week. Apparently you are allowed 2 welcome offers because there's an exception allowing Prestige cards to dual up? Hopefully it's true. Got my PremierMiles card in 2 days but waiting on the Prestige so badly! The card design looks beautiful... and I really need to buy my flights for Christmas
Old Nov 8, 2014, 8:28 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Re: Aquitane: Premiermiles then Prestige. Otherwise you get the two Anantara but not 8,000 miles http://www.citibank.com.hk/global_do...dc-master.html
Old Nov 9, 2014, 6:57 am
McM

Programs: Asia Miles
hi all,

i recently moved to HK & HSBC is my bank. I have the HSBC Advance Plat VISA & regular VISA

Looks like I have a look of work related travel coming (mainly Asia) up as well as yearly trip home to M'sia. Signed up for AM cause I am mainly flying CX these days.

Planning to top-up my AM points as much as I can. Looking at previous posts (mainly from knowledge god percysmith) looks like its down to the CX Elite AMEX vs the DBS Black AMEX

DBS Points Redemption (HKD6/4 = 1 point)

CX Elite gives Points Redemption (HKD6 = 1 point/1.5 points)

however i am a bit lost comparing the other benefits; any help?
Old Nov 9, 2014, 7:07 am

Why would you do DBS Black Amex when you have the CX Elite?

Apply for DBS Black Mastercard instead (same earn rate, much easier to use).
Old Nov 9, 2014, 7:11 am

Originally Posted by percysmith
Why would you do DBS Black Amex when you have the CX Elite?

Apply for DBS Black Mastercard instead (same earn rate, much easier to use).
Percysmith,
Am I right that all these 3 cards, DBS Black AMex, CX Elite and DBS Black MC earn at the same rate?

If so, why do you think CX Elite better than DBS Black AMex?

Also, do you prefer DBS Black MC because it is more widely accepted? However, MC risk DCC, right?

Thank you.
Old Nov 9, 2014, 4:37 pm

Citi Prestige - Supplementary card

Hi

With the Citi Prestige card, does a supplementary card holder also get the bonus 30/40k AM or is it just the main card holder?

Thanks!
Old Nov 9, 2014, 5:12 pm

Originally Posted by IncyWincy
Percysmith,
Am I right that all these 3 cards, DBS Black AMex, CX Elite and DBS Black MC earn at the same rate?

If so, why do you think CX Elite better than DBS Black AMex?

Also, do you prefer DBS Black MC because it is more widely accepted? However, MC risk DCC, right?

Thank you.
Incywincy:

Yes

As an earn rate I don't lke the CX Elite at all. I hardly spend on it (except a certain 11,776 order each year). But it's a great card for HKG lounge access (esp arrival hall) (hopefully SYD will also get Plaza Premium also), and even supps get the benefit (someone told me they've issued 7 CX Elite supps).

MC is more accepted and should be your general spending go-to card unless some specific category earn rate or spending promo prevails.

Yes the MC is exposed to DCC so have the CX Elite as backup. MC exchange rates are usually better than AE's though, AE has a nasty feature that cherry-picks worse exchange rate in 5 days prior to posting.
Old Nov 9, 2014, 5:13 pm

Originally Posted by theworld
With the Citi Prestige card, does a supplementary card holder also get the bonus 30/40k AM or is it just the main card holder?
Main cardholder only.

If the supp wants the 30K/40K he must apply as his own principal.
Old Nov 9, 2014, 8:33 pm

I am not an expert and it just occurred to me that the following is a good course for earning (there are comparables):

Local - SCB HK5 per mile, otherwise HK 6/mile using DBS Black Card, CX Elite or Citi Prestige.
Overseas - Fubon Plat HK3 per mile (even better than Citi which is at HK 4 per mile). Fubon gets better in Taiwan, Japan and Korea but with ceilings.
Citi Rewards for supermarket and telecom spending, with ceilings.
HSBC also has 6x which is good depending on which category you choose, capped at HK 180,000 per year.
Are my figures correct?
Thank you.
Old Nov 9, 2014, 9:29 pm

Main cardholder only.

If the supp wants the 30K/40K he must apply as his own principal.
Thanks, thought so, but was wanting to check.
Old Nov 9, 2014, 10:01 pm

Incywincy: that's right. These are my go-to cards too (absent any time-limited promos, but I've already gone through all of the applicable ones).
Old Nov 9, 2014, 10:15 pm

Premiermiles - "up to 15%" (actual: 3%) bonus for redeeming Asia Miles 1 Nov-31 Dec

8226 1886 for registration and lucky draw

3%, nothing to really see here.
Old Nov 10, 2014, 3:13 am

Re: Aquitane: Premiermiles then Prestige. Otherwise you get the two Anantara but not 8,000 miles http://www.citibank.com.hk/global_do...dc-master.html
Under the eligibility (point 3), doesn't it say that Prestige Card applicants are able to recieve welcome offers of both the Prestige + the other card? Or am I missing something elsewhere?

Either way, Citi sales called me to say that basically my Premiermiles application was approved first before the Prestige (using another approval channel or something?!)... Therefore I will not be eligible to get the 2 nights at Anantara.

Pretty annoyed, but he apologized profusely and promised to chase them on approving the Prestige this week. I think I will try to fight it after receiving the card.
Old Nov 10, 2014, 3:18 am

8226 1886 for registration and lucky draw
3%, nothing to really see here.
Me also 3%, anyway thx Percysmith.
Old Nov 10, 2014, 3:21 am

Originally Posted by Aquitaine
Under the eligibility (point 3), doesn't it say that Prestige Card applicants are able to recieve welcome offers of both the Prestige + the other card? Or am I missing something elsewhere?

Either way, Citi sales called me to say that basically my Premiermiles application was approved first before the Prestige (using another approval channel or something?!)... Therefore I will not be eligible to get the 2 nights at Anantara.
If you want the Anantara then you have to give up the 8,000 miles for $10,000 spending on the Premiermiles offer. It's one or the other, you can't have both.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.