Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Best credit card conversion rate to Asiamiles (HK) - 2014 and prior

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 29, 2013, 8:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: sxc
This 2014 and prior thread is now closed. Please continue discussion here: Best Credit card conversion rate to Asiamiles (HK) - 2015
Print Wikipost

Best credit card conversion rate to Asiamiles (HK) - 2014 and prior

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2013, 7:22 am

Originally Posted by percysmith
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B206 Safari/7534.48.3)

There's a 8% conversion bonus of premiermiles points to end of year. It reverts to $8/mile thereafter.
How often does Premiermiles card offer this conversion promotion? Or should I convert my miles now?
Old Dec 20, 2013, 7:44 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by alan945
How often does Premiermiles card offer this conversion promotion? Or should I convert my miles now?
I think twice? or 3? times in the past year.
Old Dec 21, 2013, 12:16 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Citibank Premiermiles is a card that lets many HKers (e.g. on hongkongcard.com http://www.hongkongcard.com/forum/fo...hp?id=3938&p=1) to say "I'm earning miles but I'm paying no fees to the bank". It exemplifies a trait amongst HKers to avoid explicit costs rather than maximise net benefit*. So it's a very appealing product in HK.

But I like to think FTers know better. We learn to pay fees if the extra miles earned justify the fee. Premiermiles is not best AM earner in any category in my list.

* Another is minibonds.
Citibank premiermiles strikes again!

I was at my mother's family's winter solstice dinner. Archetypical hongkie family (source of my mum's hongkie genes), with babies and seniors. I don't get along with them.

And it comes time to pay. My closest cousin (who I'm closer with) points to me, I look round the table and say "does anyone else have a dining offer to kill? SCB? Dah sing?"

The bill comes and a not-so-close cousin checks it. He then adds "let me pay it"

Since I've been given the privilege to pay the last few times I deferentially took a step back. I heard him mumble "no, not the reward card" and then hands another card to the waitress.

After the waitress takes his card away I asked "not that I want to object, but what card did you pay with and what offer is on it"
"oh, just my premiermiles."
"any special offers?"
"none"

"how much was the bill?"
"$5,320"
"Derrick, I have a card that has 8% cash back on dining. Can we use that card? I don't want to fight to pay, you can pay me back but 8% less"
"nah i they charged my card now"
"they can void card slips and charge another if you refuse to sign. I've done this before"

"nah i wanna shout"
(my other cousin) "we've split the $5,320 bill. Here you go Derrick"

Derrick takes the money

I'm enough steam coming out of my ears to cook the fish we just ate again. I just had a $450 cash rebate slip away.

I suppose if the bill included a line item "Impatient Hongkie charge: $450", he might go take off the waitress's head. It's not a matter of face as it is up north. But cash rebate? Nah, too complicated.

My impatient mother paid our share. I have no intention of cashing her back.

Long will citi pm reign over hongkie-land, unless citi does something to kill the golden hongkie goose. And god forbid me dining with anyone who uses it ever again.

Last edited by percysmith; Dec 21, 2013 at 7:29 am
Old Dec 21, 2013, 6:37 am

Percy, Which card gives 8% rebate on dining? I am afraid I cannot follow the maths. Is it HSBC 6x? Or DBS Plat? Thank you!
Old Dec 21, 2013, 7:10 am

Originally Posted by IncyWincy
Percy, Which card gives 8% rebate on dining? I am afraid I cannot follow the maths. Is it HSBC 6x? Or DBS Plat? Thank you!
SCB "Up to 15%" dining rebate Dec-Jan 13

https://www.sc.com/hk/promotion/cred...ning-15rebate/
http://www.hongkongcard.com/forum/fo...w.php?id=11482
Old Dec 21, 2013, 10:50 am
Suspended

Note to self: Do not ever dine with percysmith in Hong Kong other than at the 6 CX lounges
Old Dec 23, 2013, 7:33 am

Programs: SQ QPP1, HYATT DIA, SPG GOLD, HH GOLD, IHG GOLD
Hmm....15% rebate on dining spending is quite an attractive offer. Just in time to know before my impending trip to HKG for a few days And yes, there will be dining appointments
Old Dec 23, 2013, 9:16 pm

Originally Posted by MilesBuzz
Hmm....15% rebate on dining spending is quite an attractive offer. Just in time to know before my impending trip to HKG for a few days And yes, there will be dining appointments
Can't get 15%
15% is calculated as $900 rebate on $3,000 dining spend x 2 months.

But
You need to spend $5,500 x 2 months in order to qualify (which can include the $3,000 dining). Therefore, only 8.18%

Furthermore, if you only qualify on one phase you only get $300. Therefore, $300 / $5,500 = 5.45%
Old Dec 26, 2013, 11:26 pm

Programs: UNITED 1P
From experience, could anyone share how long it takes CCB to show the credit once HSBC billpayment sends the money across? Thanks a lot!
Old Dec 26, 2013, 11:30 pm

Originally Posted by nanirina
From experience, could anyone share how long it takes CCB to show the credit once HSBC billpayment sends the money across? Thanks a lot!
Next day, it's a normal EPS bill payment.
Old Dec 27, 2013, 1:10 am

Programs: UNITED 1P
thx Percy!
Old Dec 27, 2013, 8:13 am

Programs: BA Silver, MU Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Converting HSBC points to miles

Could anyone confirm whether I need to pay HKD300 twice for converting both main and supp card points to main card's Asia Miles account?
Old Dec 27, 2013, 8:20 am

Programs: CX GO, SPG GO
Depends on when you posted the payment. I just called up HSBC with the same issue.

Payment #1: Scheduled for 21 Dec (Sat), on the same day

Payment #2: Scheduled for 23 Dec (Mon), on Sat 21 Dec

Per the HSBC customer service associate I spoke to, both posted as scheduled, but I could not see the transactions via HSBC online banking until 0900 HKT on Tuesday 24 Dec.

Neither credit hit my CCB until Tuesday 24 Dec either.

This would've potentially caused some big issues had I waited until today to post the payments as I'd originally intended.

YMMV.
Old Dec 27, 2013, 8:05 pm

http://www.hsbc.com.hk/1/2/hk/banking/faq#Bill02

A2: What is the cut-off time for bill payment transactions?
The bill payment transaction can be made 24 hours if you choose to use your bank account for paying the bill. However, if you choose HSBC credit card as payment account, and the instruction is made before 4:30pm from Monday to Friday, the request will be processed within the same day. For instruction made after the above-mentioned time, the request will be processed on the next business day. The reference to "business day" means a day, other than a Saturday, Sunday or public holiday, on which banks are open for general business in Hong Kong.

Last edited by percysmith; Dec 27, 2013 at 8:20 pm
Old Dec 29, 2013, 8:49 am

Programs: CX GO, SPG GO
http://www.hsbc.com.hk/1/2/hk/banking/faq#Bill02

A2: What is the cut-off time for bill payment transactions?
The bill payment transaction can be made 24 hours if you choose to use your bank account for paying the bill. However, if you choose HSBC credit card as payment account, and the instruction is made before 4:30pm from Monday to Friday, the request will be processed within the same day. For instruction made after the above-mentioned time, the request will be processed on the next business day. The reference to "business day" means a day, other than a Saturday, Sunday or public holiday, on which banks are open for general business in Hong Kong.
Makes perfect sense. Thanks, Percy.

The monkeywrench is that the CSA insisted that the Saturday payment was executed and posted on Saturday.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.