Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Best credit card coversion rate to Asiamiles in 2009? (For FTers based in HK)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best credit card coversion rate to Asiamiles in 2009? (For FTers based in HK)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2011, 2:12 am

Programs: CX DM, SG Krisfl, MH Enrich, Hyatt GP Diam, Priority Club Plat, Marriott SL, HHonors, SPG, AClub
Maybe this is OT or belongs to another thread, so please bump if necessary. But since it's about earning Asiamiles for purchase, I thought this thread is most suitable:

Guess that most of you know the following promotion:
http://communication.asiamiles.com/2...urce=3&lang=en

I've got a 9x multiplier on it (of the 10x maximum). I never looked into Asiamiles iShop seriously, but with that multiplier I wanted to find out what I could get. I saw that Skype UK is offering following:
"30 Asia Miles on each USD 1 spent"
http://shop.asiamiles.com/en/telecoms/skype-uk

If I were to spend USD 111 generating a base mileage of 3,330 (x30), multiplied with a bonus of x9, then I should get 29,970 Asiamiles for only USD 111 spent (or HKD 866) - just short of the 30,000 Asiamiles limit for that promo.

That would be an awesome conversion rate and depending on whether it gets counted as overseas transaction, I could add on some credit card Asiamiles earning on top for the USD 111. Even if I didn't use the purchased Skype Credit or Accessories like Webcam, etc. then that would be still a great way to purchase miles.

Now, there are two restrictions. One is that it only applies to new customers (I'd simply create a new account), and the other is that it applies to Skype UK. If I click on the link according to T&C's (logged in with Asiamiles account, clicking from iShop on the merchants' link to make a purchase), I will be automatically recognized as HK customer and all prices will be shown in HKD, not GBP.

I wonder whether the x30 earning for Skype UK would still be applicable to me as HK customer, or if I would have to provide any UK billing address. Any comments/experiences on this? Otherwise I'd contact Asiamiles or Skype UK, but it wouldn't surprise me if no one will be able to respond and try to refer me to the other party and vice versa.
Old Dec 1, 2011, 9:23 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
oh god i thought i've posted...

anyway, i'm sure i've had bonus miles from skype UK before they changed to new account holders only, so i dont think your worry should stand. except i think only credit buying gives you miles at 30x rate. buying accessories is lower.
However, i've only been able to buy 10EUR credit (with new account) lately... can someone shed me some light on waht went wrong!?!

Originally Posted by Connecta
Maybe this is OT or belongs to another thread, so please bump if necessary. But since it's about earning Asiamiles for purchase, I thought this thread is most suitable:

Guess that most of you know the following promotion:
http://communication.asiamiles.com/2...urce=3&lang=en

I've got a 9x multiplier on it (of the 10x maximum). I never looked into Asiamiles iShop seriously, but with that multiplier I wanted to find out what I could get. I saw that Skype UK is offering following:
"30 Asia Miles on each USD 1 spent"
http://shop.asiamiles.com/en/telecoms/skype-uk

If I were to spend USD 111 generating a base mileage of 3,330 (x30), multiplied with a bonus of x9, then I should get 29,970 Asiamiles for only USD 111 spent (or HKD 866) - just short of the 30,000 Asiamiles limit for that promo.

That would be an awesome conversion rate and depending on whether it gets counted as overseas transaction, I could add on some credit card Asiamiles earning on top for the USD 111. Even if I didn't use the purchased Skype Credit or Accessories like Webcam, etc. then that would be still a great way to purchase miles.

Now, there are two restrictions. One is that it only applies to new customers (I'd simply create a new account), and the other is that it applies to Skype UK. If I click on the link according to T&C's (logged in with Asiamiles account, clicking from iShop on the merchants' link to make a purchase), I will be automatically recognized as HK customer and all prices will be shown in HKD, not GBP.

I wonder whether the x30 earning for Skype UK would still be applicable to me as HK customer, or if I would have to provide any UK billing address. Any comments/experiences on this? Otherwise I'd contact Asiamiles or Skype UK, but it wouldn't surprise me if no one will be able to respond and try to refer me to the other party and vice versa.
Old Dec 2, 2011, 12:10 am
Suspended

hey
since i'm about to cancel the card that's links with AAVS (my last octopus was lost so i had to buy a new one anyway), it doesnt make a difference whether i get a new one or change teh AAVS bank, right (besides the fact that i'll have 50 bucks stuck at octopus if i get an extra octopus)
Afterall i have a sunk cost of $20 for a new octopus and a sunk cost of $20 to change the AAVS credit card... which is the same.

anyway, any cards have bonus for AAVS now?
Old Dec 2, 2011, 1:39 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by kaka
anyway, any cards have bonus for AAVS now?
5,000 Bankcomm pts (625 miles) for Bankcomm Diamond to 31 Dec

http://www.hongkongcard.com/forum/fo...ow.php?id=5892
http://www.bankcomm.com.hk/mediafile...df_9810_tc.pdf
Old Dec 2, 2011, 2:26 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by percysmith
its now my phantom card with 20HKD credit to spend... i'll just leave it. (i still have to look for ways to spend 20HKD and remember to bring the card)

anyway, for skype UK:
Stated reward (30x) is only for Skype products and calling credit. A lower reward is given for accessories.
Old Dec 2, 2011, 12:02 pm

Programs: CX DM, SG Krisfl, MH Enrich, Hyatt GP Diam, Priority Club Plat, Marriott SL, HHonors, SPG, AClub
Thanks, kaka - is there any place where they clearly stated that with the lower earning rate on accessories? I would need to check on the limit as well (whether max EUR 10).
Old Dec 2, 2011, 10:23 pm

Programs: SQ QPP1, HYATT DIA, SPG GOLD, HH GOLD, IHG GOLD
My multiplier is 8x
Here’s my 8x Asia Miles Multiplier score that I earned during the special iShop promotion. Why not use my score for your shopping through iShop to earn more miles, simply visit shop.asiamiles.com. But hurry, offer ends 8 Jan 2012 and a total of 8 millions Asia Miles are up for grabs.

I have gotten all the bonus credits for ShaComm Welcome Promo (HK$300 for AAVS, Supplementary Card, and Internet Banking). Also received 10k bonus pts for the 2 AAVS I registered through BankComm.

So, I am set to convert my pts to Asia Miles before the end of Dec deadline for both cards.
Old Dec 2, 2011, 10:29 pm

Programs: SQ QPP1, HYATT DIA, SPG GOLD, HH GOLD, IHG GOLD
Shouldn't 1,000 pts = 125 miles? (8 pts to 1 mile).

Actually, if you are paying $100k of taxes, you will get a bonus of 20k pts or 2.5k miles. Not too shabby I should say.
Old Dec 2, 2011, 10:52 pm

Programs: MPO, Aeroplan, SPG
Originally Posted by MilesBuzz
My multiplier is 8x
Here’s my 8x Asia Miles Multiplier score that I earned during the special iShop promotion. Why not use my score for your shopping through iShop to earn more miles, simply visit shop.asiamiles.com. But hurry, offer ends 8 Jan 2012 and a total of 8 millions Asia Miles are up for grabs.

I have gotten all the bonus credits for ShaComm Welcome Promo (HK$300 for AAVS, Supplementary Card, and Internet Banking). Also received 10k bonus pts for the 2 AAVS I registered through BankComm.

So, I am set to convert my pts to Asia Miles before the end of Dec deadline for both cards.
When will you convert your Asia Miles? If we convert on Dec 30th, would that be ok or do you think it has to be well before the Dec 31st deadline?
Old Dec 3, 2011, 1:05 am

Originally Posted by Dasanii
When will you convert your Asia Miles? If we convert on Dec 30th, would that be ok or do you think it has to be well before the Dec 31st deadline?
Bankcomm advises to fax through the form on 29 or 30 December, given 31 December is a Saturday.
Old Dec 3, 2011, 1:52 am

Programs: MPO, Aeroplan, SPG
Bankcomm advises to fax through the form on 29 or 30 December, given 31 December is a Saturday.
Ok thanks a lot. Do you happen to have a link to their form? Can't seem to find it here: http://www.bankcomm.com.hk/en/tools/forms01.html#p2
Old Dec 3, 2011, 5:06 am

Programs: BA Gold, JGC Sapphire, OZ Diamond, AF Silver, CX GR, Marriott Lifetime SL
O BTW if anyone need 10x multiplier for iShop promotion, I am

http://communication.asiamiles.com/2...AyMDEx&lang=en
Old Dec 3, 2011, 9:08 am
Suspended

actually i wonder if the number of skype accounts are limited to 1 in this promo... or for ishop all together.

i personally do not think it matters as longa s it's a new account.
Old Dec 3, 2011, 10:32 am

Originally Posted by ChrisLi
O BTW if anyone need 10x multiplier for iShop promotion, I am

http://communication.asiamiles.com/2...AyMDEx&lang=en
Thank you Chris
Old Dec 3, 2011, 11:26 am

Originally Posted by Dasanii
Ok thanks a lot. Do you happen to have a link to their form? Can't seem to find it here: http://www.bankcomm.com.hk/en/tools/forms01.html#p2
http://www.bankcomm.com.hk/mediafile...mileage_en.pdf

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.