Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Best credit card coversion rate to Asiamiles in 2009? (For FTers based in HK)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best credit card coversion rate to Asiamiles in 2009? (For FTers based in HK)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2011, 9:27 pm

Originally Posted by percysmith
https://www.hsbc.com.hk/1/2/special/cards/prom226

Broadway
Citysuper
Mannings
New Town Plaza
Times Square

15X for purchases over $500 (harsher term than last time)
To 31 Dec 11

15X = $250/15/15 = $1.11/mile

P.S. Mannings offering 20X extra for Fridays Saturdays and Sundays.
Thanks for posting this! Too bad it came up just a few days late for me. Just received the iPhone from the Apple Store at a "poor" 5.xx$/mile. This would have been an easy 2,600 miles at Broadway! Well, too late now. Apple charges 15% "re-stocking" fee for unopened returned items, otherwise I'd just return it.
Old Oct 31, 2011, 9:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
oh stupid.. i didnt think there's a promo so quick... i bought some coupons with the fubon draw and bday offer for broadway!
Old Oct 31, 2011, 11:45 pm

Programs: SQ QPP1, HYATT DIA, SPG GOLD, HH GOLD, IHG GOLD
Well, I just stocked up on my Mannings vouchers to take max adv of the previous HSBC 15x promo and now (up to $200 Reward Cash or 3k miles), they decide to increase the bonus to 20x (for weekends) but I understand that there's now a cap of $50 Reward Cash (equivalent to 750 miles for spending HK$625) per week

For merchants in Times Square, New Town Plaza or Broadway, the catch is that you have to spend a minimum of HK$500 and the maximum Reward Cash earned is $200 (equivalent to 3k miles for spending HK$3.33k) per week.
Old Nov 1, 2011, 12:18 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by MilesBuzz
Well, I just stocked up on my Mannings vouchers to take max adv of the previous HSBC 15x promo and now (up to $200 Reward Cash or 3k miles), they decide to increase the bonus to 20x (for weekends) but I understand that there's now a cap of $50 Reward Cash (equivalent to 750 miles for spending HK$625) per week

For merchants in Times Square, New Town Plaza or Broadway, the catch is that you have to spend a minimum of HK$500 and the maximum Reward Cash earned is $200 (equivalent to 3k miles for spending HK$3.33k) per week.
nono. the $50 cap is for the extra 5x reward cash for earning on friday - sunday. so you can buy $2500 each week.
i believe you'd get
1x basic: $10 RC
14x promo bonus: $140RC
5x wkend bonus: $50RC
the $200 cap does not include the 5x wkend bonus but includes the 1x basic so you can still spend $834 elsewhere to earn the remaining $50RC (basic and promo bonus included)
Old Nov 1, 2011, 2:31 am

Originally Posted by kaka
nono. the $50 cap is for the extra 5x reward cash for earning on friday - sunday. so you can buy $2500 each week.
i believe you'd get
the $200 cap does not include the 5x wkend bonus but includes the 1x basic so you can still spend $834 elsewhere to earn the remaining $50RC (basic and promo bonus included)
Oh...I didn't read the T&C clearly on the Fri-Sat thingy. Thanks for the clarification.

I guess I will probably not take full advantage of this promo. Maybe only for the big-bucks items in Times Square during the festive periods....but no more Mannings, since I already build up quite a substantial amount of Reward Cash from the previous Summer Promo and the just-ended short Mannings Promo.

Just as I wrote previously, I like the fact that HSBC is using these promos to entice us to use the card. I have never used my HSBC card so frequently until July this year when I paid HK$300 to renew my Mileage Program for the purpose of converting the supposedly leftover Reward Cash to my miles at that time, before I cancel the card!

Never expecting that they will up the ante and had the really generous promo since then Since then, I have earned close to 20k miles and will possibly earn more than 30k miles to justify the HK$300 paid for renewal fees.
Old Nov 1, 2011, 3:43 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by MilesBuzz
Oh...I didn't read the T&C clearly on the Fri-Sat thingy. Thanks for the clarification.

I guess I will probably not take full advantage of this promo. Maybe only for the big-bucks items in Times Square during the festive periods....but no more Mannings, since I already build up quite a substantial amount of Reward Cash from the previous Summer Promo and the just-ended short Mannings Promo.

Just as I wrote previously, I like the fact that HSBC is using these promos to entice us to use the card. I have never used my HSBC card so frequently until July this year when I paid HK$300 to renew my Mileage Program for the purpose of converting the supposedly leftover Reward Cash to my miles at that time, before I cancel the card!

Never expecting that they will up the ante and had the really generous promo since then Since then, I have earned close to 20k miles and will possibly earn more than 30k miles to justify the HK$300 paid for renewal fees.
i guess they figured they were losing big time in the credit cards due to lack of promo. i suppose quite a few left their HSBC at home so even the now and then 10-20% off promos wont be helpful.
Old Nov 1, 2011, 8:53 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
i believe you'd get
Sorry for confusion, Mannings on weekend >=$500 are 20X i.e. 1X basic, 15X promo + 4X extra not 20X extra as first mentioned.

Last edited by percysmith; Nov 2, 2011 at 10:15 am
Old Nov 1, 2011, 9:53 pm

Programs: BA Gold OWE
i guess they figured they were losing big time in the credit cards due to lack of promo. i suppose quite a few left their HSBC at home so even the now and then 10-20% off promos wont be helpful.
That's me. Haven't used my HSBC card for over 3 years, don't even know where it is in fact.
Old Nov 2, 2011, 2:07 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by toplayer
That's me. Haven't used my HSBC card for over 3 years, don't even know where it is in fact.
i've got sth like 147RC expired this year and 2 next year... i've used them all on non miles related stuff.... lol

Sorry for confusion, Mannings on weekend >=$500 are 20X i.e. 1X basic, 15X promo + 5X extra not 20X extra as first mentioned.
sure you mean 14x promo?...
Old Nov 2, 2011, 10:19 am

sure you mean 14x promo?...

Sorry yes 14X with 1X basic
Old Nov 2, 2011, 5:25 pm

It has always been 1x Basic Reward Cash + Bonus for HSBC.

The bonus ranges from 5x (the current promo till Aug-31, 2012), 14x (current promo at Times-Square, Broadway, New Town Plaza, and Mannings on weekdays), 19x (Mannings on weekends) and 39x (for the Summer Mannings Promo).
Old Nov 2, 2011, 10:13 pm

Note to HSBC cardholders who've selected dining bonus

Originally Posted by Connecta
Thanks, kaka and percysmith!

Yeah, HSBC x5 promo runs 'only' until August 2012 anyways. Maybe no reason to renew after that and divert spending (applied x5 all for dining) back to other cards, like DBS Black if they have still their 3x dining promo on by then.
The no hotel dining rule is not enforced. A friend got rebated for Hyatt and Conrad dining spending.

I take that back. I've just had a Shangri-La dining spending excluded from 5X. But I had a 20% discount there (5% more than others) so I'm happy to give up 5x.

Last edited by percysmith; Nov 16, 2011 at 10:31 am
Old Nov 3, 2011, 8:56 am

Programs: CX Diamond / SQ Gold / Bonvoy Platinum / Hyatt Globalist / Hilton Gold
Standard Chartered 360° Rewards

Got something in the mail today talking about the new Standard Chartered 360° Rewards. Not sure if it's really new, but I played around with the system and here's what I found.

It's still 15000 points for 1000 AsiaMiles. But you're only allowed to redeem 99,000 AsiaMiles. (The system won't allow you to redeem more than 99 of any one "reward" - be it miles, watches, supermarket coupons).

There's a HK$300 service charge for each redemption. So that would mean HK$300 for up to 99,000 AsiaMiles (i.e. 99,000 x 15 = 1,485,000 points).

I looked at the Terms and Conditions - it mentions "Top Up" at HK$0.008 per 360° Rewards Points. You can use it when you have 50% of the required points for the items you want.

This works out to HK$0.008 x 15 = HK$0.12 per mile. This is a lot cheaper than the AsiaMiles Top Up which is US$60 for 2000 miles (US$60 x 7.8 / 2000 = HK$4.27 per mile).

I've got more than 1,485,000 points in my account (i.e. the maximum of 99,000 AsiaMiles for each redemption), so I wasn't able to try buying miles. I tried redeeming lots of SK-II products - the system allowed me to buy a lot more items (not just one item above my points balance).

Perhaps someone can try playing around with the system and see if you can redeem lots of miles at HK$0.12 per mile.
Old Nov 3, 2011, 9:08 am

Farkkkkkk......they've copied the shxthouse Everyday Spend merchants terms from the Plat Credit offer to CX Amex too

I'm in the middle of a CX Amex churn too. I apply for CX Amex in end of Dec, just when I send my SCB PB VI into the shredder. Except for the PB VI card itself, SCB PB has been nothing but a disappointment. I won't bother maintaining my payroll + 0.5M for keeping it.

I'll have a period without Priority Pass between late December and January, but I fly MH J for Christmas this year and as an in-house accountant I do not go anywhere but the office in January at all.

I was a bit nervous about finding spending for $4/mile offer in January/February, where I'll only eat, drink coffee and buy snack food from supermarket. Problem solved!

EDIT: Oh. The 8,000 mile terms end on 31 Oct. Hope they don't water it to 5,000 for January.
Offer extended to 31 December http://www.americanexpress.com/hk/en...TnC.shtml#eite. Still the same Everyday Spend deal

Last edited by percysmith; Nov 3, 2011 at 5:49 pm
Old Nov 5, 2011, 12:22 pm

http://www.bankcomm.com.hk/en/financialinfo/news.html

2011/9/15

Effective from 1 December 2011, all credit card online bill payment transaction via our Internet Banking Bill Payment service will not be entitled for cash rebate/bonus point rewards, except for ING Life Insurance Company (Bermuda) Limited ("ING Life") insurance premium paid by ING Credit Card and China Life Insurance (Overseas) Company Limited ("China Life Overseas Company") , ING Life , China BOCOM Insurance Co., Ltd ("CBIC") and Bank of China Group Insurance Company Limited ("BOC Group Ins.") insurance premium paid by MI Credit Card.

Dammit...the $4/mile goes with it. I'll overpay everything on Mon 28 Nov.
I'm just wondering how much is everyone paying for bills in advance with Bankcomm Diamond?

I eventually decided to pay 5 months. Here's my rationale:

My cost of funds: 2% p.a. (fixed deposit sitting in bank) (can get more, can get less)

Earn rate of bill payment: $4/mile
Nominal value per mile: $0.1/mile
Rebate rate of bill payment now: 2.5%

Alternate rate of bill payment: $6/mile (Fubon Plat)
Rebate rate of bill payment in future: 1.67%

Difference between paying now and later: 0.83%

Time to recover this difference: 0.83/2 = 41.67% of a year or 5 months

So I'm paying 5 months' bils in advance.

Anybody else paying for more or less?

Edit 10AM: trader @ hongkongcard.com reminded me that I also get $4/mile on bill payments in my birthday month http://www.hongkongcard.com/forum/fo...hp?id=5431&p=4. To avoid paying bills ahead unnecessarily for the higher earn rate, I can pay all bills up to my birthday month in advance, and then pay another batch of bills in advance that month.

Last edited by percysmith; Nov 5, 2011 at 8:21 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.