Wiki Posts
Search

SCB Cathay MasterCard discussion

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5, 2021, 5:50 am
Original Poster

SCB Cathay MasterCard discussion

Originally Posted by CXYYZ
Standard Chartered has loaded a new (currently blank) page to their website that seems to be for a new "Cathay" brand credit card.

https://www.sc.com/hk/credit-cards/cathay/
Update: Link now directs to the usual error page.
Old Jul 6, 2021, 1:21 am

Application for SCB Asia Miles card has been closed:
https://www.sc.com/hk/credit-cards/asiamiles/

And it seems that there are three tiers of the new CX credit card.
Old Jul 6, 2021, 3:22 am

Programs: Cathay Pacific - Diamond
So the new Cathay card is linked to the tier of relationship you have with Standard Chartered too? I assumed "more closely reflects your status" means it links to your MPC status...
Old Jul 6, 2021, 3:29 am

Originally Posted by oliver_dvs
I sincerely hope they won’t link the card’s tier to your account’s tier.
I mean do they expect people randomly dropping 8M HKD opening new private client level accounts just for the damn card?
If it came with permanent MPC Gold membership or something along those lines, it's possible.
Old Jul 6, 2021, 3:59 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by CX HK
If it came with permanent MPC Gold membership or something along those lines, it's possible.
Given JGC修行 is no longer economically feasible (even if borders reopen --> operationally possible), tying up HK$8M for MPO GO/OWS isn't the worst deal in the world.

Not permanent - perhaps so long as you remain a Priority Private Client.

BTW, what is the difference between Priority Private Client and a SCB Private Client? The former is a private client in Hong Kong and the latter in Singapore?
Old Jul 6, 2021, 4:16 am

Originally Posted by CX748
Broadly, Standard Chartered's Priority Private is equivalent to HSBC Jade. Both a half-way house between purist private banking and Premier/Priority, and both need USD 1m ish in total relationship balance.
Maybe this is their big rollout for Priority Private Client. And get Andy or Jacky to sell the card/banking tier.
Old Jul 6, 2021, 8:51 am

Standard Chartered have now removed the "Cathay" reference from their service charge document, and the Asia Miles card shows up once more.

Maybe it slipped out a little too early...
Old Jul 6, 2021, 9:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by Reply1984
And it seems that there are three tiers of the new CX credit card.
It depends how you see it. Based on your information, my estimate is SCB basically further extends AM card, but ties more in term of banking. Hence, the 3 tiers based on "bank" accounts, regular, priority (1 mil) and priority private (8 mil).
Old Jul 7, 2021, 4:25 am

FYI, the co-branded Cathay card launch is "imminent".
Old Jul 7, 2021, 8:26 am

Originally Posted by djsflynn
FYI, the co-branded Cathay card launch is "imminent".
I’m itching to see how they differentiate the banking tiers:

1) Something like Citi HK, with (roughly) vanilla SCB Asia Miles equating to Premiermiles (so HK$6/AM local HK$4/AM overseas), Priority Banking equating to Prestige World Elite MC (maybe HK$5/AM local, HK$3/AM overseas after meeting some level of threshold spend, and/or some form of relationship bonus), Priority Private Bankng equating to Ultimate ($4/AM local, and maybe some Club Points as well?)

2) Or they throw in some cake vouchers after meeting certain spending thresholds.

3) Or they simply add a wordmark “Priority Banking” “Priority Private Banking” on the top left hand corner of the card similar to when they rolled out 360rewards. Same card stock for all banking tiers.

Because Air and Slide Cheap Bank: should’ve seen it coming - a match made in heaven.

Last edited by percysmith; Jul 7, 2021 at 8:48 am
Old Jul 7, 2021, 8:33 am

Originally Posted by Reply1984
With every dollar you spend, you’ll earn Asia Miles to use for your next flight – and to unlock exclusive travel and lifestyle privileges. And for the first time, you’ll earn Marco Polo Club club points without flying.
Great. Looking forward to trading iPhones/milk powder/steel sports Rolexes*/Chanel handbags into GO/DM.

* I see an opportunity for Oriental Watch/Chow Tai Fook to move some precious metal Rolexes in exchange for Club Points.

Last edited by percysmith; Jul 7, 2021 at 8:42 am
Old Jul 7, 2021, 10:07 am

Programs: CX ows, DL E+
Originally Posted by percysmith
Great. Looking forward to trading iPhones/milk powder/steel sports Rolexes*/Chanel handbags into GO/DM.
Haha don't get your hopes high, there should be a cap on how much Club Points that can be earned just by spending.
Old Jul 7, 2021, 6:12 pm

So my regular Asia Miles MasterCard has changed to this in the SCB app...
Old Jul 7, 2021, 7:04 pm

That's the one, "Cathay" hero brand now taking pride of place in what is unmistakably a Cathay card!
Old Jul 7, 2021, 8:01 pm

https://www.sc.com/hk/credit-cards/cathay/

Here we go...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.