Wiki Posts
Search

SCB Cathay MasterCard discussion

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2021, 10:26 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by sxc
Will many people redirect their general banking to SCB because of this card? I don't think so.
It might even cause me or my wife to commit a ritual massacre of all our SCB products and accounts, if the offer is made ongoing.
Old Jul 7, 2021, 10:33 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by etkuo
The GR from Amex CX Elite is different than this SL/GO offer though. If it's a permanent thing then it's a further devaluation of MPC. I bet half of CX HKG-based passengers can easily qualify for priority banking.
You only get silver or gold once for one year. You need to qualify properly after that.
Old Jul 7, 2021, 10:36 pm

Originally Posted by sxc
I don’t see auto crediting of miles to CX as a bonus. It’s better to have the flexibility to send your miles to different programs if you need to.
Many friends prefer this as it is miles are made available instantly, without needing to wait a few days or even weeks for miles to transfer. Since by that time, maybe the seat is gone or another airline is better.

I guess auto crediting is good for people who prefer to stick with 1 airline program and don't want to do a lot of miles transferring, especially if it isn't instant.
Old Jul 7, 2021, 10:39 pm

Originally Posted by CX HK
A few perks but I don't know if its enough to move the needle: can avoid annual fee, automatic crediting of AM to your MPC account (no expiry anyway), the possibility of earning Club Points (for those who are usually very close to a new tier or renewing and struggling to earn, it could be huge).
for the priority banking version (which gives you 4 lounge passes per year as well as PEY check in and boarding as perks), the fee waiver is only for first year. After that, it is HK$4000. Who is going to pay for that?
Old Jul 7, 2021, 10:44 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by apsrinomecker
for the priority banking version (which gives you 4 lounge passes per year as well as PEY check in and boarding as perks), the fee waiver is only for first year. After that, it is HK$4000. Who is going to pay for that?
The fee waiver applies as long as your relationship balance meets the priority banking criteria:

Cardholders can enjoy an annual fee waiver on their Cards if they are eligible Priority Banking clients and meet the relevant Average Daily Relationship Balance requirement as stipulated by the Bank from time to time
Old Jul 7, 2021, 11:55 pm

It seems they didn’t say how to handle existing asiamiles card holder, do we receive a new card or continue to use the original one?

And I assume the new card level has nothing to do with marcopolo status but only how much money you have with the bank?
Old Jul 7, 2021, 11:59 pm

Originally Posted by CX748
Confirmed, existing card holders or Priority Banking customers need to cancel all their cards and wait 6 months before they can benefit from the welcome offers. Rather underwhelming.
MPO GO and SL is excluded from this
(Click into the application form)

"1-year Marco Polo Club Gold Membership
This offer is applicable to New Cardholder and existing clients of the Bank"

"1-year Marco Polo Club Silver Membership
Old Jul 8, 2021, 12:01 am

Originally Posted by xuukgo
It seems they didn’t say how to handle existing asiamiles card holder, do we receive a new card or continue to use the original one?
To be confirmed but I doubt they are going to undertake an immediate card replacement program. All existing Asia Miles cardholders retain their existing cards until replaced, cancelled or upgraded.

Originally Posted by xuukgo
And I assume the new card level has nothing to do with marcopolo status but only how much money you have with the bank?
Correct
Old Jul 8, 2021, 12:04 am

Programs: Cathay Pacific - Diamond
Originally Posted by percysmith

Sorry, I wasn't terribly clear. Existing card holders aren't eligible for the miles welcome offer. If you hold the existing Priority Banking Visa Infinite, SCB say you need to cancel it and wait 6 months to apply for the Cathay Priority Banking card. Seems rather cumbersome
Old Jul 8, 2021, 12:26 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

What do you mean by this? I think this is referring to the free Marco Polo status granted to the Priority and Priority Private banking customers?

If you are already Gold or Silver status, then you can gift the status to someone else.
Old Jul 8, 2021, 12:29 am

Programs: CX DM
So I guess MCP status means nothing any more. I could be a DM without SCB bank account so I would only get the lowest tier card and needs to pay $2K annual fee a year.
Old Jul 8, 2021, 12:37 am

To be confirmed but I doubt they are going to undertake an immediate card replacement program. All existing Asia Miles cardholders retain their existing cards until replaced, cancelled or upgraded.
The new Cathay card already shows up in lieu of the Asia Miles card in the SCB banking app. However, the "add to Apple Pay" button does not show up.
Old Jul 8, 2021, 12:39 am

Originally Posted by sxc
What do you mean by this? I think this is referring to the free Marco Polo status granted to the Priority and Priority Private banking customers?
Yes. Unlike the welcome offer, you do not have to be SCB virgin to be applicable for this.

Originally Posted by sxc
If you are already Gold or Silver status, then you can gift the status to someone else.
Must be someone else in your redemption list.

Originally Posted by leungti1
So I guess MCP status means nothing any more. I could be a DM without SCB bank account so I would only get the lowest tier card and needs to pay $2K annual fee a year.
Not DM. Not published, anyway.
Is anyone here a SCB (non-Priority) Private Banking client?
Old Jul 8, 2021, 4:49 am

Programs: CX Marco Polo Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Ambassador, Marriott Gold
I think based upon the Standard Chartered Bank Cathay Priority Banking Card, I think CX will cut lounge access for its MPO Silver members. Otherwise, they will not provide 4 non-transferable lounge access coupons to the cardholder.
Old Jul 8, 2021, 4:52 am

Programs: Cathay Pacific - Diamond
Originally Posted by lesteryen
I think based upon the Standard Chartered Bank Cathay Priority Banking Card, I think CX will cut lounge access for its MPO Silver members. Otherwise, they will not provide 4 non-transferable lounge access coupons to the cardholder.
You're probably right about this... I guess BA amongst others doesn't offer lounge access to Bronze (Ruby) members

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.