Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SCB Cathay MasterCard discussion

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2021, 7:52 pm

Originally Posted by TomYoung
As far as I am concerned it is yet another Cathay Pacific enhancement. I used to have a free Cathay Pacific credit card provided through AMEX. That has been cancelled. If I wish I can apply for a Standard Chartered credit card that is called Cathay. I would have to go through the hassle of opening a new banking relation and reduce my financial flexibility to gain some marginal reward benefit. I can only imagine that Cathay will save some subsidy it used to pass to AMEX and/or will received a kickback from SCB. Thank you for nothing Cathay. Another reason to reduce the weighting I give to buying tickets to fly with you.
for the old AMEX CX card, you need to spend enough (or hold status at MPC) to have your annual fee wavied (at least on paper), while now you need to have a banking relationships. some may prefer the later

and, since the HK1 million banking relationship can include a number of things (e.g. MPF, mortgage, stock, bond), "free cash" is not a must. for example, one just need to choose it for mortgage. most banks offer very similar interest rates and cash rebate, and the 4 annual lounge acceses could be a deal breaker
Old Jul 12, 2021, 8:50 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by TomYoung
As far as I am concerned it is yet another Cathay Pacific enhancement. I used to have a free Cathay Pacific credit card provided through AMEX. That has been cancelled.u.
What did the Cathay Amex card have that the explorer card doesn’t have?
Old Jul 12, 2021, 5:42 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by sxc
What did the Cathay Amex card have that the explorer card doesn’t have?
Annual fee waiver thru holding of status alone?
Old Jul 12, 2021, 9:30 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by percysmith
Annual fee waiver thru holding of status alone?
So the new card has a waiver at $150k spending. If you had the Cathay Pacific Amex card before and weren’t spending this amount, there’s probably not much point in having the card anyway?
Old Jul 12, 2021, 10:45 pm

Originally Posted by sxc
So the new card has a waiver at $150k spending. If you had the Cathay Pacific Amex card before and weren’t spending this amount, there’s probably not much point in having the card anyway?
The unqualified renewal is the only beef that TomYoung can legitimately raise.

Honestly I still think waivers will be given for the asking. Otherwise we’d churn these cards silly like the CX Amex before it.

No Priority Pass attaches to the Explorer. The only benefit of value - besides allowing me to do occasional $50 for $20 promos - is the ten Plaza Premium visits per year for supp cardholders (I have enough Dragonpass to get into Plaza Premium myself).
Old Jul 13, 2021, 11:19 pm

Originally Posted by garykung
Hold that thought. We simply don't know the T&Cs of those lounge passes. So I would not say you can't access CX lounge without a CX/OW flight.
Reference CX lounge passes redeemed using Asia Miles?
Old Jul 14, 2021, 9:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by percysmith
Reference CX lounge passes redeemed using Asia Miles?
From SCB.
Old Jul 16, 2021, 11:36 pm

Originally Posted by apsrinomecker
so if I am willing to maintain a HKD 1 million account (including MPF or mortgage) with SCB, I can get the CX card (priority banking version) with no annual fee, which comes with 4 lounge access per year and priority check-in and boarding with no spending requirement? I think it is quite attrative as compared to other local HKD 1 million account (e.g. HSBC, Hang Seng, Citibank)?
Originally Posted by blandy62
that's what I meant. if you are willing to maintain 1M there, the product is fine. Othersiwe I think think AE is better
Well the SL offer did get me, the missus and some friends thinking.
Missus and I decided pretty early on we weren't going to move money to SCB for mere SL alone - not going to use it. We were working on a working assumption that SL is worth a just-for-kicks value of $300

We are interested in playing simultaneous offers though.
A friend did see a Priority Banking welcome offer is approx a 1.4% p.a. fixed deposit for three months https://www.sc.com/hk/promotions/pri...new-customers/ . We had a fixed deposit maturing last Friday, the welcome offer as a deposit rate was pretty decent, and SL would be icing on the cake. So this morning I drafted a $1.01M cheque, payslip, address proof and set out to take the tram to the nearest branch.

Just when the tram was approaching, I suddenly realised I might not be a new customer. I trudged back to the flat, tried calling my Easy Banking hotline (they didn't bother picking up, so I got the Missus to call her Priority Banking hotline and check my records), found I am not a Priority Banking new customer until 25 Sep 2021.

I voided the cheque and shredded my payslip. Check again to see whether SL offer extend beyond 31 August 2021.

I know a couple of friends who are existing Priority Banking customers and saw more value than the Missus and I with SL. They have a lower bar to meet, they will deposit $500,000 each by the end of the month (and play the non-welcome version of Marathon savings probably https://www.sc.com/hk/promotions/pixar/ )
ernestnywang and CX HK like this.
Old Jul 18, 2021, 7:54 am

Programs: Cathay Pacific - Diamond
Does anyone know if rental payments through SC Mobile qualify as eligible spending, or is that a no no?
Old Jul 18, 2021, 8:11 am

SC Pay? No
Old Jul 18, 2021, 8:17 am

Programs: Cathay Pacific - Diamond
I should have known that would be a too-easy solution
Old Jul 19, 2021, 2:19 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

I just realised this card is only earning 1 mile for $6? Whereas the Amex explorer is 1 mile for $5? It’s not even class leading in the earn department.
Old Jul 19, 2021, 4:43 am

Originally Posted by sxc
I just realised this card is only earning 1 mile for $6? Whereas the Amex explorer is 1 mile for $5? It’s not even class leading in the earn department.
  • HKD3 = 1 Asia Mile for eligible spending on Cathay Pacific Airways and Hong Kong Express
  • HKD4 = 1 Asia Mile for eligible spending on dining, online and overseas spending categories
  • HKD6 = 1 Asia Mile for eligible spending in other categories which are posted in Hong Kong dollars
Earn rate is essentially the same as the old SCB Asia Miles card, with the exception of CX / HK Express flights now earning 1 mile per HKD 3.
Old Jul 19, 2021, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by sxc
Have't you (or we) known that CX cobrand card are always suck in earning miles?
Old Jul 19, 2021, 8:03 pm

Originally Posted by sxc
Explorer earns better but it's an Amex. However so does Flyer World and that is not also a World Mastercard like SCB Cathay.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.