Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SCB Cathay MasterCard discussion

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2021, 8:10 pm

Programs: Cathay Pacific - Diamond
Fancy new cards... but only eligible for welcome offer if you haven't held an SCB card in the last six months?

I guess that's most of Hong Kong disqualified then...
Old Jul 7, 2021, 8:20 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by Reply1984
​​​HT AmD950

SCB Priority Banking Cathay MC gets MPO SL

SCB Priority Banking Private Cathay MC gets MPO Gold

Last edited by percysmith; Jul 7, 2021 at 8:27 pm
Old Jul 7, 2021, 8:30 pm

Programs: CX GO, AC Aeroplan 25K, AMEX PLAT, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, IHG Spire Amb
So if I read this right the MPC SL/GO is only a one time thing right? After one year they will still have to renew through normal means right?
Old Jul 7, 2021, 8:33 pm

Originally Posted by Sozee
Haha don't get your hopes high, there should be a cap on how much Club Points that can be earned just by spending.
100 Club Points max for 500K spend.

Rather low, I privately guessed up to a quarter of Gold i.e. 150 CP for GO, 300 CP for DM. Still not an avenue to running OWE.
Old Jul 7, 2021, 8:36 pm

Originally Posted by percysmith
3) Or they simply add a wordmark “Priority Banking” “Priority Private Banking” on the top left hand corner of the card similar to when they rolled out 360rewards. Same card stock for all banking tiers.

Because Air and Slide Cheap Bank: should’ve seen it coming - a match made in heaven.
All right, at least different card stock.

I think same BINs though, the benefits come from CX and the banking tier, not the card.
Old Jul 7, 2021, 8:39 pm

Programs: BA SL, CX GR, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by Reply1984
Is it just me? Don’t find the new cards attractive at all, no matter on the earn rate on miles / club points or the so called benefits when flying with CX. The “complementary” MPC membership for just 1 year is also not too meaningful.

I wonder how would these change upon the merging of AM and MPC next year.
Old Jul 7, 2021, 8:49 pm

Programs: Cathay Pacific - Diamond
Confirmed, existing card holders or Priority Banking customers need to cancel all their cards and wait 6 months before they can benefit from the welcome offers. Rather underwhelming.
Old Jul 7, 2021, 8:58 pm

Originally Posted by etkuo
So if I read this right the MPC SL/GO is only a one time thing right? After one year they will still have to renew through normal means right?
As published, offer only goes up to 30 Sep 2021. The offer may or may not be renewed in present form.

If it is, you can deploy the husband/wife tactic i and Missus Smith used to maintain one of us as GR and Plaza Premium access when Amex CX Elite was still a thing (guest (issue a supp) to the other).

For GO, I guess we have to agree to move HK$8M between us (no, she won't, not with that bank). We agreed almost as a pre-nup that we'd only maintain one joint account (which is thankfully not SCB) for outgoings, but park assets in each others' names (we are well versed enough with HK bank promos that joint name accounts get no promos)

Last edited by percysmith; Jul 7, 2021 at 9:09 pm
Old Jul 7, 2021, 9:05 pm

Programs: CX GO, AC Aeroplan 25K, AMEX PLAT, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, IHG Spire Amb
As published, offer only goes up to 30 Sep 2021. The offer may or may not be renewed in present form.

If it is, one can deploy the husband/wife tactic Missus Smith and I used to maintain one of us as GR and Plaza Premium access when Amex CX Elite was still a thing.
The GR from Amex CX Elite is different than this SL/GO offer though. If it's a permanent thing then it's a further devaluation of MPC. I bet half of CX HKG-based passengers can easily qualify for priority banking.
Old Jul 7, 2021, 9:06 pm

100 Club Points max for 500K spend.

Rather low, I privately guessed up to a quarter of Gold i.e. 150 CP for GO, 300 CP for DM. Still not an avenue to running OWE.
So do they give you 1 Club Point for every HKD 5000 you spend? I don't see any details on earning CP via this new card.

EDIT: Looks like it will be awarded for every HKD 100,000 spend / 20 club points. 100k is not an easy figure to hit... especially given the opportunity cost. And 20 CP is really very low.
Old Jul 7, 2021, 9:18 pm

Originally Posted by CX HK
EDIT: Looks like it will be awarded for every HKD 100,000 spend / 20 club points. 100k is not an easy figure to hit... especially given the opportunity cost. And 20 CP is really very low.
One Daytona or 11 iPads. If they count Paypal, I'll max out under four months.
Old Jul 7, 2021, 9:29 pm

One Daytona or 11 iPads. If they count Paypal, I'll max out under four months.
All this for 20 CP, which is just renewing MPC Green or 6.67% of the way to MPC Silver. However, I suppose this low rate is also good as it prevents status inflation.

Will SCB automatically cancel our current existing SCB AM cards and then send us the new SCB Cathay cards?

EDIT: And it seems that only Payroll, or SCB Premium (HKD 200k) or above are given annual fee waivers. I wonder if it will be at their discretion to waive for other members as well, similar to what they are doing now.
Old Jul 7, 2021, 9:37 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
There doesn't seem to be much point to this card. The basic earn rate is worse than the Amex card, and the same as the Citi Prestige card. Amex and Citi cards can direct miles to multiple programs.

Will many people redirect their general banking to SCB because of this card? I don't think so.
Old Jul 7, 2021, 9:49 pm

Originally Posted by sxc
There doesn't seem to be much point to this card. The basic earn rate is worse than the Amex card, and the same as the Citi Prestige card. Amex and Citi cards can direct miles to multiple programs.

Will many people redirect their general banking to SCB because of this card? I don't think so.
A few perks but I don't know if its enough to move the needle: can avoid annual fee, automatic crediting of AM to your MPC account (no expiry anyway), the possibility of earning Club Points (for those who are usually very close to a new tier or renewing and struggling to earn, it could be huge).
Old Jul 7, 2021, 10:01 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
I don’t see auto crediting of miles to CX as a bonus. It’s better to have the flexibility to send your miles to different programs if you need to.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.