Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Asia Miles Changes effective 22 June 2018

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 24, 2018, 4:03 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: percysmith
New links:
New redemption engine: https://www.asiamiles.com/en/redeem-awards/flight-awards/facade.html
(alternatively https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_HK/book-a-trip/redeem-flights/facade.html for MPO members)
New redemption charts (CX and KA only): https://www.asiamiles.com/en/redeem-awards/flight-awards/flight-award-chart.html
New partner redemption mileage requirement: https://www.asiamiles.com/en/afr.html

Asia Miles changes microsite:
https://www.asiamiles.com/change/

New Terms and Conditions:
https://www.asiamiles.com/change/en/updatedterms.html
Print Wikipost

Asia Miles Changes effective 22 June 2018

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2018, 12:16 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau
Original Poster

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by Audio
I will now fly SQ instead of CX.
Can you buy me some Spicy Fish Skin while you're at T2 pls? IFC doesn't have it (I just checked).
Old Jul 9, 2018, 1:15 am

It's available at T3 when I was departing SIN on yesterday (Sun). All products of all sizes freely available.

(Audio)

Last edited by Audio; Jul 9, 2018 at 1:27 am
Old Jul 9, 2018, 1:26 am

Originally Posted by HaikalS
Is this because Standard award wasn't available?
I have made many redemptions before and I never have a problem with availability on normal days (Yes, I can live with no availability over HK public holidays).

Even then, on heavily booked public holidays, you can sometimes get by with a Business Class redemption. Now Asia miles just make it worse.

So, tell me what's the point of flying CX anymore?

ENOUGH IS ENOUGH. Making it difficult for freq flier to maintain tier, isolated Terminal 4 at Changi, consistently lousy inflight meals, hardly any upgrades for the past 4 months, 10-Abreast seating......and now devaluing all my hard-earned Asia Miles ......

(Audio)
kaka likes this.

Last edited by Audio; Jul 9, 2018 at 1:35 am
Old Jul 9, 2018, 1:49 am

Even before this recent devaluation, I was turned off from CX when they dropped F service from all the SFO-HKG flights. Used to be you had your choice of F in the 744 or 773, with a mid-day flight. Now, the only F service out of SFO is a red-eye 773...
kaka likes this.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 11:12 pm

Programs: Asiamiles, HHonor,
I am wondering if the recent harder and harder seats redemption is caused by the selling of huge volume of Asia Miles to banks ? ...... and its being one revenue source of CX now by "quantitative easing" award miles. The consequential increase of award seats demand allows CX to increase its award seats price ..
Old Jul 9, 2018, 11:26 pm

Programs: KF, MPC, BAEC // Bonvoy, WoH, Honors
I'm searching for award seats HKG-SIN on random dates in September and finding nothing -- across all cabins. Is this the situation now? In the past there was availability on nearly every flight between HK and Singapore if booking a couple of months out.

How is Asia Miles not being held responsible - or at the very least being pushed by local media on this? Not only have they devalued the miles -- they've stripped availability immensely.
kaka and HaikalS like this.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 12:24 am

Programs: Lowly CX & IHG
Originally Posted by Kilian Zoll
I'm searching for award seats HKG-SIN on random dates in September and finding nothing -- across all cabins. Is this the situation now? In the past there was availability on nearly every flight between HK and Singapore if booking a couple of months out.

How is Asia Miles not being held responsible - or at the very least being pushed by local media on this? Not only have they devalued the miles -- they've stripped availability immensely.
The flight award planner does show availability of standard award mostly in early-Sept, and I found availability in say Sep 4(Y,W)-7(Y-J) or 19-22(Y-J) in booking site. Availability doesn't look good for weekend trip or many other dates. No experience to say if/how it's worsened.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 2:57 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Audio
Got a shock doing a redemption flight today. It was 25,000 miles for a HKG-SIN-HKG return previously and now it is 40,000!! (20,000 per sector). Business Class was 50,000 miles return, now it is 114,000 miles!!

Simply ridiculous!! I will be leaving OneWorld. I will now fly SQ instead of CX.

(Audio)
wasnt it 30K in the past? so its 33% up but CX was printing miles through the banks. this is bound to happen - especially sin is at the same bracket with the rest of japan where cx's marketing lie ploy is.

Business class is really bad. i think Avios would be cheaper if the award space exist. (That said, business class CASH fare went down for the last 10-15 years)
Old Jul 10, 2018, 10:00 am

I'm baffled on how the umpteen travel blogs haven't reported this.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 10:30 am

Originally Posted by watery
The flight award planner does show availability of standard award mostly in early-Sept, and I found availability in say Sep 4(Y,W)-7(Y-J) or 19-22(Y-J) in booking site. Availability doesn't look good for weekend trip or many other dates. No experience to say if/how it's worsened.
AM's own award availability calendar tool seems like a cruel joke: it's telling me almost every day has Standard availability for August and September. Yet, when I check Flightplan it's more like 4 days with actual availability, every other day is Waitlisted.

According to the AM website, these days should have availability...

The reality is more like this.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 7:52 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau
Original Poster

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member

Originally Posted by finiteyoda
For those more visual people, here's a chart comparison of CX F award availability:

SFO-HKG First Awards (Old on left, New on right)

Last minute availability for 1 week out is improved, but overall much less inventory. The good news is, if you look out about 6 months, "First Standard" availability is pretty decent. There's considerably more "Business Choice" availability for next 60 days too, which wasn't there before. If you mainly redeem far out in advance, or at the very last minute, maybe these changes are positive for you (and I'm just extrapolating, based on SFO-HKG, I haven't looked in detail at other routes).

First / Business award availability: Jul 2018 - Jul 2019

Managed to install. Many thanks!

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trav...ventory-2.html

Last edited by percysmith; Jul 10, 2018 at 8:06 pm
Old Jul 10, 2018, 8:23 pm

Programs: KF, MPC, BAEC // Bonvoy, WoH, Honors
Does anyone know if the complete absence of any award seats to partners (like BA or QF) is just a temporary glitch or if this is now going to be the situation moving forward? I definitely prefer CX/AM to have priority access to these seats and partner availability should be secondary, but I still have a pretty sizable batch of Avios that I was using for last minute intra-Asia CX bookings that I now may have to find another way of using.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 8:28 pm

Originally Posted by percysmith
Managed to install. Many thanks!
Cool, enjoy! ^ Let me know if you have recommendations to improve the tool.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 8:30 pm

Does anyone know if the complete absence of any award seats to partners (like BA or QF) is just a temporary glitch or if this is now going to be the situation moving forward? I definitely prefer CX/AM to have priority access to these seats and partner availability should be secondary, but I still have a pretty sizable batch of Avios that I was using for last minute intra-Asia CX bookings that I now may have to find another way of using.
I don't think anyone outside of CX can say for sure. Maybe try calling BA or QF, give them a date that's available via AM website, and ask them if they can see that inventory at all, or what the deal is.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 8:30 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
I suspect (but don’t know) this is a system issue. There are times you search on BA and you see the same availability as Asia Miles, and then sometimes you see none. I have also seen where three flights are available to CX, 2 are available to BA for a particular day. So who really knows what is going on.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.