Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Asia Miles Changes effective 22 June 2018

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 24, 2018, 4:03 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: percysmith
New links:
New redemption engine: https://www.asiamiles.com/en/redeem-awards/flight-awards/facade.html
(alternatively https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_HK/book-a-trip/redeem-flights/facade.html for MPO members)
New redemption charts (CX and KA only): https://www.asiamiles.com/en/redeem-awards/flight-awards/flight-award-chart.html
New partner redemption mileage requirement: https://www.asiamiles.com/en/afr.html

Asia Miles changes microsite:
https://www.asiamiles.com/change/

New Terms and Conditions:
https://www.asiamiles.com/change/en/updatedterms.html
Print Wikipost

Asia Miles Changes effective 22 June 2018

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2018, 11:39 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau
Original Poster

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
No Choice, literally

360 days out

marcommm likes this.
Old Jul 1, 2018, 8:49 am

Programs: CX, BA
And no choice in July and August for many Hong Konger's popular leisure destinations.

BKK, ICN, KIX, NGO, FUK, Tokyo are only available in tailored awards in all 4 cabin classes across these 2 months. Seems like CX is deliberately blocking Standard and even choice awards in these routes in the summer, especially when one can redeem at a standard rate from partner's programme.

Of course, these flights are in demand in the summer, but I doubt if CX can fill up all these flights with marked up revenue and award seats. Look at the bloodbath HKG-ICN, you can choose between CX, KE, OZ, HX, TG, Air India(well not for me on this one) and 5 LCCs, which leads me into thinking about this thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cath...departure.html
Old Jul 1, 2018, 6:43 pm

Programs: UA, AS
Originally Posted by potm
How do we book those mixed class awards. Can’t read Chinese and have not found it on any English blogs.
Does that mean something like Syd-Hkg-Lhr in J and then F would cost less than 125k?
Just go to Asia Miles, select the flight, once you get far enough along the miles will be adjusted, at least that is what happened why I tried it. SFO-HKG-DPS in F standard 125k but there is a notice that F is unavailable for flight CXnnn (HKG-DPS) and that the mileage will be adjusted in the next screen and so it is. It goes from 125k SFO-HKG-DPS (F) to something like 115,500 for SFO-HKG (F) connecting to HKG-DPS (J).
Old Jul 2, 2018, 7:22 am

Originally Posted by skimthetrees
Just go to Asia Miles, select the flight, once you get far enough along the miles will be adjusted, at least that is what happened why I tried it. SFO-HKG-DPS in F standard 125k but there is a notice that F is unavailable for flight CXnnn (HKG-DPS) and that the mileage will be adjusted in the next screen and so it is. It goes from 125k SFO-HKG-DPS (F) to something like 115,500 for SFO-HKG (F) connecting to HKG-DPS (J).
Thanks for that. Am I doing something wrong? I can't seem to search for SFO-HKG-DPS or any other multi segment awards. It seems to only allow one segment searches. When I go to multi city it just goes to the award request form.

Last edited by potm; Jul 2, 2018 at 7:30 am
Old Jul 2, 2018, 11:22 am

Programs: BAEC GOLD
i have a problem, found seats on BA and on AM for HKG-BKK, called Asiamiles to rebook my ticket (date change) and was told no seat is available. SO FRUSTRATING. Its a MCA ticket which i have to do a change over the phone
Old Jul 2, 2018, 2:38 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau
Original Poster

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
You can't set waitlist for choice > 353 days (I was attempting a 360 day waitlist). Backed up 7 days and I'm fine.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 5:24 pm

Programs: UA, AS
Originally Posted by potm
Thanks for that. Am I doing something wrong? I can't seem to search for SFO-HKG-DPS or any other multi segment awards. It seems to only allow one segment searches. When I go to multi city it just goes to the award request form.
I search for SFO-DPS and the results return an itinerary with HKG as a connection. I am not searching as multi segment. I am searching direct SFO-DPS. There is no SFO-DPS non-stop so I get a connection in HKG whether I want it or not.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 9:40 pm

Programs: Cathay, BA, UA

I find that ridiculous the CX IT.

i was searching Hkg-Bkk one way J redemption availability 13/7-15/7.
On 15/7 Sunday flight
in CX only business tailor award available - 57000 Miles.
in BAEC, business class for redemption. X3 available for flight J class I3 in one flight. 15000 avios.

search both on expert flyers, all 3 days J Y all class selling with 9 availability ( except very very few not)
Old Jul 2, 2018, 11:34 pm

Programs: IHG Rewards, ANA Mileage Club, AsiaMiles
Is it worth considering giving up on earning AM? Availability as most people have said is pretty poor compared to before. Personally thinking of whether krisflyer or ANA mileage club is an option as I typically redeem to ZRH. I know AM has a better earn rate but Star alliance availability is generally ok? Glad to hear your thoughts.
HaikalS likes this.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 11:45 pm

Originally Posted by Kitaka
Is it worth considering giving up on earning AM?
I don't know about ZRH, but from where I'm located (SFO) CX F award availability still looks about the same as NH, and both are far superior to SQ. My biggest knock against AM right now is that CX has cut most of the good routes out of SFO with F service (it's mostly just smaller jets with only economy and business). ANA MC doesn't offer one-way flexibility either, but if their RT awards work for you they do seem to represent a great value (like almost half the cost of AM).

Last edited by jd20; Jul 2, 2018 at 11:46 pm Reason: Typo
Old Jul 3, 2018, 5:21 am

Programs: GFF Plat, CX DM, SQ TPPS, AS 75K
I was originally very hopeful about these changes because although there was some devaluation, it seemed that AM were "defending" its own members on availability.

But seeing the posts above, it is really discouraging that availability of standard awards have changed so much. This only makes the arbitrage using other FFPs more attractive and gives reason to stop thinking about MPC altogether
Old Jul 3, 2018, 6:25 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by diablo_josito

I find that ridiculous the CX IT.

i was searching Hkg-Bkk one way J redemption availability 13/7-15/7.
On 15/7 Sunday flight
in CX only business tailor award available - 57000 Miles.
in BAEC, business class for redemption. X3 available for flight J class I3 in one flight. 15000 avios.

search both on expert flyers, all 3 days J Y all class selling with 9 availability ( except very very few not)
FWIW for that specific flight that you're showing, right now I can see it available under Business Standard. Curiously, it's not available under Choice but it is under Tailored.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 7:31 am

Programs: BAEC GOLD
Just checked from my side, its business tailored on my side!
Old Jul 3, 2018, 7:46 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by db07mufan
Just checked from my side, its business tailored on my side!
And now the same for me. But also from BA side, no availability.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 8:23 am

Programs: CX, BA
Originally Posted by marcommm
And no choice in July and August for many Hong Konger's popular leisure destinations.

BKK, ICN, KIX, NGO, FUK, Tokyo are only available in tailored awards in all 4 cabin classes across these 2 months. Seems like CX is deliberately blocking Standard and even choice awards in these routes in the summer, especially when one can redeem at a standard rate from partner's programme.
A quick search on QF suggests that partner's availability on CX metal to the above destinations was wiped out this July and August. Another enhancement to staff ID ticket then from an optimistic point of view.
I am suddenly very grateful that JAL is part of oneworld.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.