Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Marco Polo Club
Reload this Page >

Why is CX holding award availabilities at I9 few hours before departure

Old Jun 16, 18, 1:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: CX DM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton DM, Marriott Plat

ive been trying to get upgrade award redemption for CX543 17 June for a while and CX still wonít release it to me even though I class showing 9.
however, they other two flights from HND KA397 showing I5 and CX549 showing I5 both available for redemption.

Does anyone can think of a reason for them holding availability?
Old Jun 16, 18, 1:51 am

Programs: MPC-DM, Enrich-Plat
Originally Posted by Ausriver View Post
ive been trying to get upgrade award redemption for CX543 17 June for a while and CX still wonít release it to me even though I class showing 9.
however, they other two flights from HND KA397 showing I5 and CX549 showing I5 both available for redemption.

Does anyone can think of a reason for them holding availability?
Yes, sure. It's an economic epic height at the moment and CX has realistic chances to sell these seats for real money. Your miles money would become good again, when the world is in an economic bear situation.

Economists do predict the bear situation to start next year and have a depth similar to 10 years ago. Reasons:
- Soapy stock exchange
- Severely increasing world-wide trade protectionism, with Mr US-First in the drivers seat.
- Extremely unreliable Mr. US-First behaviour.
- Significant increase in interest.
- Extreme debts for governments and general public.
- Cold Brexit.
Old Jun 16, 18, 5:15 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Asia Miles. Not bothering to join Marco Polo.
Originally Posted by Cambo View Post
Yes, sure. It's an economic epic height at the moment and CX has realistic chances to sell these seats for real money. Your miles money would become good again, when the world is in an economic bear situation.
I don't think you can bleat epic economic height all the time when you have Economy cabins today (start of HK long weekend) looking like this (KA380 HKG 11:05 FUK 15:30 front Economy cabin)

A mate of mine confirmed no redemption seats available for HKG-FUK today when he checked a month ago.
I checked the loads this morn and it was J9 Y9.

I don't know what CX/KA is playing at. Are they now preferring to fly their seats empty than releasing seats for redemption for fear of cannibalisation?

Last edited by percysmith; Jun 16, 18 at 5:45 am
Old Jun 16, 18, 5:34 am

Programs: CX, BA
Originally Posted by percysmith View Post
I don't know what CX/KA is playing at. Are they now preferring to fly their seats empty than releasing seats for redemption for fear of cannibalisation?
I came across similar situation.
I was searching for HKG-BRU/DUB/CPH J awards departing in June for weeks and could not see much availability, mostly 1 seat or even none for the whole week (3-4flights). However, from another post, it seems that almost half of the J cabin of those flights were filled with ID pax.
Old Jun 16, 18, 6:41 am

I don't think you can bleat epic economic height all the time when you have Economy cabins today (start of HK long weekend) looking like this (KA380 HKG 11:05 FUK 15:30 front Economy cabin)
When all those wanting to fly, would be prepared to purchase a ticket with real money, then it would be a waste for CX to let the potential customer use redemption. Empty seats or not. Redemptions are there to fill up seats, with passengers who would not want to fork out cash. Ah, and yes, I also suffer from a lack of redemptions

Load from the picture looks shockingly low to me, which might be the underlying reason of the upcoming economic down-turn: To many "investments" in business growth, both from CX as well as competitors. The latter driving prices down, to get some load.

Feel free to propose other reasons. I would be interested to hear so.
Old Jun 16, 18, 8:49 am
Original Poster

I don’t know how much would an upgrade redemption cost CX extra?
Will have to check with checkin counter tmr though
Old Jun 16, 18, 9:02 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Asia Miles. Not bothering to join Marco Polo.
When all those wanting to fly, would be prepared to purchase a ticket with real money, then it would be a waste for CX to let the potential customer use redemption.
Lots want to fly including both of us, but aren't willing to put our money where our mouth is. What good is our kind of demand?

It remains to be asked whether it is efficient for CX to keep pricing like this and fly empty or whether it will cut back supply and free up HKG slots to others who can better use the slots.
Old Jun 16, 18, 11:37 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Platinum, GE
No need to check CX.com or care about EF, just call 3888, the result will be VERY different from what you experience online.

Can't recall exactly but this is how I got ALL if not nine out of ten of awards since I made DM (ignore them showing no avail for standard/P1/P2 - just call)
Old Jun 16, 18, 11:38 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Platinum, GE
When all those wanting to fly, would be prepared to purchase a ticket with real money, then it would be a waste for CX to let the potential customer use redemption. Empty seats or not. Redemptions are there to fill up seats, with passengers who would not want to fork out cash. Ah, and yes, I also suffer from a lack of redemptions

Load from the picture looks shockingly low to me, which might be the underlying reason of the upcoming economic down-turn: To many "investments" in business growth, both from CX as well as competitors. The latter driving prices down, to get some load.

Feel free to propose other reasons. I would be interested to hear so.

OP is DM. These reasons don't apply as much if not at all.
Old Jun 16, 18, 1:45 pm

Originally Posted by G-CIVC View Post
OP is DM. These reasons don't apply as much if not at all.

No need to check CX.com or care about EF, just call 3888, the result will be VERY different from what you experience online.

Can't recall exactly but this is how I got ALL if not nine out of ten of awards since I made DM (ignore them showing no avail for standard/P1/P2 - just call)
Good item, might solve OP his/her problem.

Lots want to fly including both of us, but aren't willing to put our money where our mouth is. What good is our kind of demand?

It remains to be asked whether it is efficient for CX to keep pricing like this and fly empty or whether it will cut back supply and free up HKG slots to others who can better use the slots.
Upper class hotels and restaurants don't lower the pricing, just to fill up the rooms/tables. There is a customer perception of quality & status which goes with a price. Blow the perception of that, and those prepared to pay the tab, stay away.

I would be very interested for better reasons then I raised, why CX does not release larger amounts of award seats. Might be useful for me to
Old Jun 16, 18, 4:14 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold
If you can predict an economic downturn - as specific as you do - then you must be a millionaire.
Old Jun 16, 18, 5:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by G-CIVC View Post

i agree with you, it is still showing I9 at the moment and I do believe the upgrade redemption will be good at the airport, not only to DMs but also to whoever requested it at check in.

and I have experienced the same that most upgrade will get cleared at some stage even at J0 or W0, I don’t know how CX did it.
However I don’t understand why CX doesn’t release redemption award last night, there might be people willing to do last minute redemption booking and CX pushed them to the other two flights already have a higher loading.
Old Jun 16, 18, 11:58 pm

Originally Posted by warakorn View Post
If you can predict an economic downturn - as specific as you do - then you must be a millionaire.
Unfortunately, it is no me who predicts that, though the experts in this.
Old Jun 17, 18, 5:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by Ausriver View Post
However I donít understand why CX doesnít release redemption award last night, there might be people willing to do last minute redemption booking and CX pushed them to the other two flights already have a higher loading.
Sorry to say - this is the beauty of RM.
Old Jun 17, 18, 6:35 am

Originally Posted by garykung View Post
Sorry to say - this is the beauty of RM.
What is RM?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: