Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Very bad customer service in this airline !

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2018, 2:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: Flyng Blue, AAdvantage, Eurobonus, Miles and more

I thought this company had a solid reputation.

If the services on board were perfect, it is quite different for the ground services but what to say for the custumer service.

Three days before his flight, my friend booked on the website of the company a flight between Paris and Ho Chi Minh via Honk Kong in Y for € 816.

For his return flight, they only offered a flight with 9h of overnight stopover at HKG.

For the outward flight, his aircraft leaves the boarding gate on time but must undergo deicing. It will take off from Paris with 1h34 'delay.

Arrived at HKG 25 minutes before the next flight, my friend rushes out of the aircraft where unkind barbarians are there to deliver a new BP, tearing the old and give two restoration vouchers for an amount of about 15 US$ .

All this without a word and without explaining the situation.

He was reported on another flight that leaved 8 hours later from HKG.

He will finally arrive at his destination 8h20 later than his initial flights.

He shows up at the Cathay VIP lounge where he is being pushed back as he was an economy-class passenger.

Many Chinese companies offer their passengers in long transit access to a hotel or lounge for free, even for their passengers traveling economy class.

We often contact Cathay customer service on site and in Honk Kong by email.

We are asking for a reasonable upgrade offer for his return flight as compensation.

These requests are refused because the company does not consider itself responsible for the significant delay suffered by my friend.

For his return flight, he spent a night of 8h30 am on a bench of the HKG terminal.

After his return, I send a request for compensation by registered mail with receipt at the head office of Cathay France in Nanterre. We ask for 600 € of compensation in accordance with the EC regulation 261/2004 for very important delay to destination.

We argue that after the delayed take-off of flight CX260 from Paris, the HKG stopover hub had plenty of time to reroute my friend in a reasonable time for his flight to HCM (if only by retaining 10 minutes the flight CX 767 even if the baggage had been late, organize its very long wait or simply that Cathay staff expose the situation to HKG and make him know his rights).

We do not get an answer by mail.

A month later, I call the head office by phone and they told me that i will be contacted again during the day.

My friend receives less than 3 hours later an email with a pithy answer : Cathay does not judge itself responsible for the delay.

Two weeks ago, I sent a complaint to the DGAC for the same reasons with the same claim for compensation.

Let's hope that the DGAC can obtain from CATHAY to make a commercial gesture.

The following later ...
miklcct likes this.
Old May 9, 2018, 3:12 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
EC261 delay compensation is not payable due to bad weather. It looks like the delay from CDG is due to weather, hence you won't get compensation for that.

Originally Posted by jhmili
For his return flight, they only offered a flight with 9h of overnight stopover at HKG.

Many Chinese companies offer their passengers in long transit access to a hotel or lounge for free, even for their passengers traveling economy class.

For his return flight, he spent a night of 8h30 am on a bench of the HKG terminal.
When you booked the ticket, you knew that there would be a 9 hour transit on the return in HKG, and that CX wasn't offering any accommodation. So you knew ahead of time what this connection would be like.
Old May 9, 2018, 3:15 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
The right of EC261 to kick in, it cannot be extraordinary circumstances. Icy weather is one.
I thought this company had a solid reputation.

If the services on board were perfect, it is quite different for the ground services but what to say for the custumer service.

Three days before his flight, my friend booked on the website of the company a flight between Paris and Ho Chi Minh via Honk Kong in Y for € 816.

For the outward flight, his aircraft leaves the boarding gate on time but must undergo deicing. It will take off from Paris with 1h34 'delay.

Arrived at HKG 25 minutes before the next flight, my friend rushes out of the aircraft where unkind barbarians are there to deliver a new BP, tearing the old and give two restoration vouchers for an amount of about 15 US$ .

He shows up at the Cathay VIP lounge where he is being pushed back as he was an economy-class passenger.

We often contact Cathay customer service on site and in Honk Kong by email.

We are asking for a reasonable upgrade offer for his return flight as compensation.

These requests are refused because the company does not consider itself responsible for the significant delay suffered by my friend.

After his return, I send a request for compensation by registered mail with receipt at the head office of Cathay France in Nanterre. We ask for 600 € of compensation in accordance with the EC regulation 261/2004 for very important delay to destination.

We argue that after the delayed take-off of flight CX260 from Paris, the HKG stopover hub had plenty of time to reroute my friend in a reasonable time for his flight to HCM (if only by retaining 10 minutes the flight CX 767 even if the baggage had been late, organize its very long wait or simply that Cathay staff expose the situation to HKG and make him know his rights).

We do not get an answer by mail.

A month later, I call the head office by phone and they told me that i will be contacted again during the day.

My friend receives less than 3 hours later an email with a pithy answer : Cathay does not judge itself responsible for the delay.

Two weeks ago, I sent a complaint to the DGAC for the same reasons with the same claim for compensation.

Let's hope that the DGAC can obtain from CATHAY to make a commercial gesture.

The following later ...
many european airlines dont provide hotels nor lounges during transit either. he could have taken the later SGN flight so he has a shorter wait.

Cathay is not a chinese airline so naturally you dont get those hotels nor lounges.
clubeurope likes this.
Old May 9, 2018, 3:24 am

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National

Unfortunately, while Mainland Chinese carriers usually offer something for long transits, this practice is not followed by Hong Kong carriers. One of the primary reasons is that Mainland Chinese carriers often has poorer frequencies on any given route.

As others have said, delay caused by de-icing is not airline's fault. In fact, CX already gives something extra to the pax - a 15USD meal voucher. CX is not obligated to do that.

The only thing I believe is worth a complaint, but not a compensation, is that the ground agent should have had a better attitude and said something to your friend.
clubeurope likes this.
Old May 9, 2018, 4:55 am

Act of God is exempted under EC261

What other companies do or offer is irrelevant to what CX does, it's like going to an Italian restaurant asking for broccoli and beef on egg fried rice. Then complain because they don't cater

I don't know why you think you're entitled to free upgrades?

if you are to fly BA/AF/KL/LH and the likes you'll find status-less YCL transit pax are not entitled to lounge access no matter the connection time

The ground staff meeting CX260 has probably been on duty for 10+hrs from previous night and it's probably their last duty before home. Hong Kong service industry is about efficiency, not the Japanese style bowing and over the top time-wasting fake pleasantry. I am sympathetic to all Hong Kong working class as their wages, COS and benefits are slowly eroded away by managements city-wide.

The situation your friend was in was unfortunate but it's more than normal. The complaint is not valid and welcome to 21st century air travel, where you are only 1 of thousands of people going through the exact same situation as you are.
jamienbaker likes this.
Old May 9, 2018, 5:03 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
How is OP's case different from this https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cath...s-thereon.html ?

No upgrade or lounge access is SOP, neither for a mother with a child and an infant, nor for you.

No hotel is also SOP unless you are stranded overnight (I did see a stranded case on an evening departure recently, KA trying to get Plaza Premium to accommodate two Indian passport holders who I presume KA cannot get pre-registration to enter HK for)

Last edited by percysmith; May 9, 2018 at 5:10 am
Old May 9, 2018, 5:21 am
mxr

Programs: CX DM
what sort of expectations people have nowadays....
Old May 9, 2018, 5:38 am

its an act of God so nothing for you
Just 2 weeks ago my mum was transiting to MEL via HKG, inbound delayed- they gave her overnight hotel stay.
Old May 9, 2018, 5:57 am

Originally Posted by ernestnywang
Unfortunately, while Mainland Chinese carriers usually offer something for long transits, this practice is not followed by Hong Kong carriers. One of the primary reasons is that Mainland Chinese carriers often has poorer frequencies on any given route.
CX660 case predates OP's booking, so it is not as if he has no notice of CX SOP.

If OP thinks airlines should provide lounge/hotel for non-overnight IRROPs, OP should stick with travelling with Mainland carriers for transit routings [declaration of interest: I'm a local, and I would like to see CX focus more on local O&D traffic even if some transit traffic is unavoidable]
Old May 9, 2018, 5:59 am

Originally Posted by percysmith
CX660 case predates OP's booking, so it is not as if he has no notice of CX SOP.

If OP thinks airlines should provide lounge/hotel for non-overnight IRROPs, OP should stick with travelling with Mainland carriers for transit routings [declaration of interest: I'm a local, and I would like to see CX focus more on local O&D traffic even if some transit traffic is unavoidable]
CX does not need to focus on O AND D economy class as HK'ERS who fly economy prefer mainland controlled airlines with terrible service
kaka likes this.
Old May 9, 2018, 6:08 am

Programs: Lowly CX & IHG
At least CX764 > CX261 is scheduled to operate daily with shorter stopover; thus most likely just 3 days ahead, the flights are really full thus the earlier SGN-HKG flight offered.

The situation is he cannot connect to the original flight, and has been rebooked to the next flight (likely CX767 rebooked to CX799). The agent could have made a better explanation that the voucher is for his lunch.
Consider this as proactive as against having to walk to the connection counter and queue to get the next flight, with the possibility of having to bargain for a seat at the next available flight.
Speaking of which, the only flight after CX767 is VN595 which is just 1hr ahead of CX799, not going to help much even if they are willing to buy seats for him.
If one is anxious under unexpected circumstances, he'd see everyone as unkind barbarians, including the passengers blocking your way off the plane.

Because he don't have access; if all misconnected passengers are put into Cathay's lounges, they'll be flooded and DMs will complain
While HK airport isn't that fancy, there are many things to do around; or maybe check out the free relaxation corner which seems under-advertised.

If the transit is overnight he might get a hotel room; typical CX transit schedule is hardly overnight so it's not necessary most of the time.

This is as expected and if I guess that he takes CX764 > CX261, that's from afternoon to midnight. Also, if he can enter HK and had consulted us, we could have given some ideas with long layover or even have chance to guest him in a lounge.

Please let us know if there's indeed any follow up commercial gesture, though I'd think unlikely.
Old May 9, 2018, 6:24 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
One loses all sympathy when someone refers to another human being as a "barbarian" unless the employee hit the traveler over the head. It simply proves that meeting misconnecting passengers at the arrival gate with their onward arrangements is a good deed which does go unpunished !.

The passenger is not entitled to delay compensation under EC 261/2004. The reason for the delay was deicing which is clearly a weather-related matter and can only be accomplished within a limited time prior to departure. The alternative of not deicing is worse than delay. It is an extraordinary circumstance.

As to the return, the passenger booked what he wanted. Why CX chooses to offer or not offer a given service level is up to CX and then it is up to the passenger to determine whether that meets his needs. If he wished a hotel room included, he should have booked a routing on a carrier which provides one. Here, he chose CX and thus was on his own to book a room. He failed to book a room for himself and presumably none were available by the time of his arrival, so he was stuck on a bench. That is the passenger's own failure.

The thread title ought to be changed to "Airline provides Customer with What was due - Nothing to see here"
Old May 9, 2018, 7:20 am

Programs: BA Gold, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by Often1
The thread title ought to be changed to "Airline provides Customer with What was due - Nothing to see here"
Well in all fairness they didn't - CX got the passenger to SGN 8 hours later then they - contractually - promised. I wouldn’t be surprised if under French law CX is liable for any expenses the passenger incurred because of this (if there are any) - regardless of the reason of the delay.

That being said I fully agree with the rest of your post - especially OP's reference to CX's (often very helpful) ground staff at HKG as "barbarians" is just offensive.
Old May 9, 2018, 7:38 am

Programs: Lowly CX & IHG
I believe, in most general contract of carriage, the carrier only guarantees you get there, in reasonable amount of time, without actually promising the exact schedule as printed in the ticket. Because, you know, things happen. I'm not familiar with either French/Hong Kong law but it seems offering the next available flight is commonly regarded as fulfilling their contractual responsibility.
Old May 9, 2018, 7:48 am

Originally Posted by watery
I believe, in most general contract of carriage, the carrier only guarantees you get there, in reasonable amount of time, without actually promising the exact schedule as printed in the ticket. Because, you know, things happen. I'm not familiar with either French/Hong Kong law but it seems offering the next available flight is commonly regarded as fulfilling their contractual responsibility.
https://www.cathaypacific.com/conten...baggage-en.pdf

10.1.1 The flight times shown in timetables may change between the date of publication and the date you actually travel. We do not guarantee them to you and they do not form part of your contract with us.
https://www.airfrance.fr/FR/en/commo..._airfrance.htm

11.1. The flights and flight Schedules listed in the Schedule Indicators have no contractual value and are solely intended to inform Passengers of the flights offered by the Carrier.

Last edited by percysmith; May 9, 2018 at 7:57 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.