Wiki Posts
Search

Typhoon HATO

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2017, 10:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA
Typhoon HATO

My parent's flight on CX234 22/8 has been delayed by 11 hrs.
New flight time of 00:00 23/8.

Any idea on compensation? EU261
Old Aug 21, 2017, 10:43 pm

Programs: CX
Here's a suggestion. How about spending (at least) 5 minutes on Google, and look up what exactly is EU261, and what it covers.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 11:02 pm

Programs: MPC, KF, Accor, SPG, HH
The subject sounds misleading. The storm is nowhere near HKG to influence disruption in flight ops. What makes you think the delay is related to the storm
Old Aug 21, 2017, 11:08 pm

Programs: IHG Spire | Marriott Plat | UA Plat | AA Plat Pro
CX could have moved the flight because of expected congestion on Wednesday due to cancellations but that's also speculative. The most likely thing that will happen is that CX officially file that the delay was caused by Typhoon Hato and that no comp for EU261 is applicable.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 11:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CXFlyerBoy
The subject sounds misleading. The storm is nowhere near HKG to influence disruption in flight ops. What makes you think the delay is related to the storm
https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_....html?switch=Y
Old Aug 21, 2017, 11:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nolounge
Here's a suggestion. How about spending (at least) 5 minutes on Google, and look up what exactly is EU261, and what it covers.
Did you assume I didn't google? or you just posting in order to up your post count?
If everything was clear cut I would not have had to ask.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 11:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TravelwhileyouEat
CX could have moved the flight because of expected congestion on Wednesday due to cancellations but that's also speculative. The most likely thing that will happen is that CX officially file that the delay was caused by Typhoon Hato and that no comp for EU261 is applicable.
Thanks for the only useful advice so far. ^
CX234 was supposed to land at 0635 23/8. Unless HKG shuts down before that time then the delay should not have been from the typhoon?
Old Aug 21, 2017, 11:27 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
On top of this, seems like 3333 5500 3838 and 3888 all down right now...

Originally Posted by hakzai
Thanks for the only useful advice so far. ^
CX234 was supposed to land at 0635 23/8. Unless HKG shuts down before that time then the delay should not have been from the typhoon?
I think that's exactly when it's supposed to hit HKG...
Old Aug 21, 2017, 11:35 pm

Last edited by Acetone; Aug 21, 2017 at 11:37 pm Reason: Dup content
Old Aug 21, 2017, 11:59 pm

Programs: AS 100k, BA GGL, UA 1k, DL DM, AC SE, B6 Mosaic4, Hyatt/Hilton/Wyndham/IHG Diamond, Marriot Ti
I'm currently in hkg. Flew in on an F award using AS miles and supposed to fly to SYD tomorrow. Got a txt from cathay saying "Typhoon Hato approaching HK and your flight will be impacted.
You can use our ticket waiver to change your travel plan to avoid
disruption."

I called Cathay but because the ticket is owned by Alaska, they can't change anything. Called alaska and they said because I already completed the first leg, nothing can be changed anymore. Not sure what I should do because both parties have told me to contact the other.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 12:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Many European flights that are supposed to land in HKG on early morning 23rd are delayed by 10 hours or so.
As this is an extraordinary circumstance caused by a typhoon, no EU261 compensation is due. But CX should provide care (food) during the delay as the flights will depart in evening rather than mid-day.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 12:12 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
IMO, it's a super smart and sensible policy to implement rather than having flights stranded everywhere like TPE and CAN. Kudos to CX for being proactive.

AA 193 also canceled fwiw.

The only flights that have already departed seem to be 845, 899, 811 and 829.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 12:35 am

EU261 is generally not applicable to weather delays. They are classed as extraordinary events, unless very specific circumstances arise - for example a snow delay when flying to a ski resort. Typhoons happen a lot in HK but they are not predictable.

Hato looks like it will be a direct hit but not particularly strong. Maybe it wont affect flights too much.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 1:10 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by CXFlyerBoy
Inbound CX233 departing as scheduled so CX234 is more than less likely rescheduled as proactive WX.

Originally Posted by hakzai
Did you assume I didn't google? or you just posting in order to up your post count?
If everything was clear cut I would not have had to ask.
nolounge was obviously condescending with his tone but I think he is right to do so when you're acting as if you're entitled to something when you're not. There are even EU apps https://itunes.apple.com/au/app/pass...535428814?mt=8 and https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ity.dg.android on extraordinary circumstances and weather.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 1:21 am

Programs: IHG Spire | Marriott Plat | UA Plat | AA Plat Pro
Originally Posted by TalkingPoint
I'm currently in hkg. Flew in on an F award using AS miles and supposed to fly to SYD tomorrow. Got a txt from cathay saying "Typhoon Hato approaching HK and your flight will be impacted.
You can use our ticket waiver to change your travel plan to avoid
disruption."

I called Cathay but because the ticket is owned by Alaska, they can't change anything. Called alaska and they said because I already completed the first leg, nothing can be changed anymore. Not sure what I should do because both parties have told me to contact the other.
As I understand it, you're already en route and only transiting in HKG? If so, it's the operating airline who will need to re-book you if they cancelled your original flight since the journey started already.

What do you mean by 'impacted'? So far none of the HKG-SYD flights for tomorrow have been cancelled (at least based on the CX website) so there's nothing to be done as your original flight is still scheduled to operate.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.