Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hostility from ISM on CX Flight

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2016, 7:43 pm

Programs: CX MPO DM, Le Club Accor Platinum, World of Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
Although second guessing is easy, had I been in your shoes, when she first asked for your original seat number, I might have responded something more along the lines of, "I'm assigned to 44X. I know that this isn't my seat; but my boyfriend was really nice and offered to switch seats with me so that I could sit in business class." ISM might have been more reasonable in her approach if she knew right from the start that you weren't a seat poacher. She probably approached you initially as a self-upgrader; and you didn't give her any contrary information until she asked for it. If that was the case, it would, IMO, explain the attitude.
Wouldn't it have been more polite for the ISM to simply ask, "Madam, may I please see your boarding pass?"

I've seen two people on a seat across me 11D/G once, the ISM approached the and said "Gentlemen, I don't see you on my roster, may I see your boarding pass?" Then she said, "XXXXX is further down, thank you." She remained polite though out the situation.

By asking "What are you doing here?" she has already set a hostile tone. Something which is a clear no-no in the service industry.
Old Dec 11, 2016, 7:55 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
I guess this is CX784? Sigh it's the horrible high-density 77Z and I've some minor but memorable service issues on that flight in the front also.

I think the ISM is within her rights to query the passenger but once the op-up is identified, there's no need to continue querying.

Service on that flight feels horribly rushed, which I thought was totally unnecessary given the length of the flight.
Old Dec 11, 2016, 7:59 pm

Originally Posted by percysmith
Service on that flight feels horribly rushed, which I thought was totally unnecessary given the length of the flight.
How can they rush the service if its a 5hr flight? Is it a turn around for the crew?
Old Dec 11, 2016, 8:01 pm

Originally Posted by SeeBuyFly
In this case, without justifying any rudeness, it is clear why the FA was rude. Her records did not match the person in the seat (different gender, at least) so she assumed you were self-upgrading (sneaking into a higher-class seat), which happens more often that one might think. (Just last month I found an economy passenger calmly sitting in my business-class seat.) So you were NOT the same as the other passengers except for your race; therefore your experience cannot be attributed to your race.
I still don't see why she felt it was necessary to be rude. Self-upgrading happens all the time, but most deal with it well, they are never rude. Just ask for the boarding pass and point them where their seats are. It's not difficult.
Old Dec 11, 2016, 8:17 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by FlyPointyEnd
How can they rush the service if its a 5hr flight? Is it a turn around for the crew?
I'm not sure, I guess it is - I've been to DPS quite a bit and never see the FAs off the plane at DPS.
Old Dec 11, 2016, 8:47 pm

Seems like a storm in a teacup: reading your account, I don't see the evidence for your assertion that there was hostility, which is a strong word.

When the lady asked how to pronounce your name and you told her (basically) to look it up in her iPad, you come across to me at least as the one being hostile.
Old Dec 11, 2016, 8:48 pm

Originally Posted by ARVHK
I think it's clear she's responsible and can ask questions but I don't understand how she is justified in her rudeness?
No, rudeness is not justified, and I did say I was not trying to justify rudeness. I was just explaining what happened here.

You spoiled your case by making an overly serious accusation. Now that the word 'racism' has been deleted from the subject line, this is a more reasonable thread and discussion.

[PS I just remembered an additional detail about "my" self-upgrader. He was not only sitting calmly in my seat, he was calmly drinking a pre-departure beverage. The Etihad flight attendant politely but firmly took the half-empty glass away from him...]

Last edited by SeeBuyFly; Dec 11, 2016 at 9:02 pm
Old Dec 11, 2016, 8:49 pm

Originally Posted by percysmith
I'm not sure, I guess it is - I've been to DPS quite a bit and never see the FAs off the plane at DPS.
DPS is about 5hrs? Wow...that's tough
Old Dec 11, 2016, 10:35 pm
R2

Originally Posted by HarbourGent
Seems like a storm in a teacup: reading your account, I don't see the evidence for your assertion that there was hostility, which is a strong word.

When the lady asked how to pronounce your name and you told her (basically) to look it up in her iPad, you come across to me at least as the one being hostile.
+1. Whenever a crew member asks my name - for whatever reason - I always answer. And my name being 'difficult' to English speakers, I also spell it for them slowly and clearly. Always stay polite towards the crew to reduce tension no matter how unjustified it might be.
Old Dec 12, 2016, 1:52 am

Programs: Elite Diamond Purple Dot Gold Silver Titanium for life
In my experience, don't let the crew dictate questions (eg: what was ur original seat, who are you flying with, what's your name etc..) I appreciate not everyone is as confident, but if you can take control of the situation fast, and overburden them with information you will put their mind at ease about your being there "My partner was allocated this seat, and he kindly gave it to me for extra brownie points, he is in 44E and his name is Mr Gold. I trust this seat swap is okay with your crew."

Crew see 'self-upgraders' on almost every flight and quite rightly, these people are promptly sent back. This is where the perceived negative attitude of the crew might come from.

Interestingly, I experienced the flip side of this on the weekend. On a non-CX flight (where I had no status), the pax next to me changed seats before takeoff, without speaking to the crew, as they didn't want to be next to Little Miss Doot (and with plenty of empty seats further back - it's perfectly understandable). I proceeded to move over one and take their original seat. The manager came to greet me after takeoff, offered me wine, anything I needed, etc. By not telling the crew - I assumed my old-seatmates in-flight status benefits :-) This is why you should always alert the crew prior to moving.
Old Dec 12, 2016, 2:11 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
Interesting to note that the purser (I assume FP) did not side with the ISM. perhaps the ISM is one of the 'top ten' or 'on list' ones, so all the crew knew that she was hard to deal with!
Old Dec 12, 2016, 2:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by d00t
"My partner was allocated this seat, and he kindly gave it to me for extra brownie points, he is in 44E and his name is Mr Gold. I trust this seat swap is okay with your crew."
But this isn't how the OP handled the situation. They started out explaining they were in 44x with no explanation, and then refused to give their name.

Had the OP taken the front foot, been polite, explained the situation I'm sure the outcome would have been different.

I've done swaps before, but always informed the crew (not necessarily to ask 'permission', but at least to inform them).

I'm probably the odd one out here, but I'm siding with the ISM. For the ISM to have an unidentified passenger in the cabin and not challenge it would be worse (as the OP claims on previous flights).
Old Dec 12, 2016, 2:52 am
Suspended

Programs: None any more
I'm basically with the ISM too. When you're doing something that is (very strictly) against the rules then being polite and proactive with the crew is the very least you can do.
Old Dec 12, 2016, 3:14 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Without knowing all the facts, i think the ism is rude. I think some of her behaviour is not asked for.
However, to be easy on everyone, i always tell the ism right when i board if i were to swap seats w anyone between different class. At leadt i do my part.
Old Dec 12, 2016, 3:19 am

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by kaka
Without knowing all the facts, i think the ism is rude. I think some of her behaviour is not asked for.
However, to be easy on everyone, i always tell the ism right when i board if i were to swap seats w anyone between different class. At leadt i do my part.
yea gotta agree with kaka here

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.