Wiki Posts
Search

Last 747 Flight

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2016, 11:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: SQ,CX,LX
Last 747 Flight

Just had an email from MPC regarding the last 747 flight to/from HKG and would I like to book this special trip. Just tried a dummy booking and the flight from Tokyo to HKG on 1st October is not selectable so I guess it's all booked out already!!
Old May 27, 2016, 12:18 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by Lussac
Just had an email from MPC regarding the last 747 flight to/from HKG and would I like to book this special trip. Just tried a dummy booking and the flight from Tokyo to HKG on 1st October is not selectable so I guess it's all booked out already!!

You didn't specify which for Tokyo - NRT or HND. Since NRT had none, I checked EF for HND, CX 543. Seat map is showing the following availability:

F0 A0 J3 C0 D0 I0 W4 R0 E0 Y9 B9 H0 K0 M0 L0 V0 S0 N0 Q0 O0
Old May 27, 2016, 1:51 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
I'm not even asking for the last day, I just want to fly this route sometime in September. But award inventory (FOR THE WHOLE MONTH!) is nope, zero, zilch, nada.
Old May 27, 2016, 3:40 pm

Programs: AA EXP and 1MM, UA 1K, HH Lifetime Diamond
Flying HKG to Tokyo on 747 in July. Booked this flight because I have not been on a 747 since 1986. Did not realize that it was coming out of service. Selected a business class seat on the upper deck.
Old May 27, 2016, 4:03 pm

Programs: CX MPO DM, Le Club Accor Platinum, World of Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by G-CIVC
I'm not even asking for the last day, I just want to fly this route sometime in September. But award inventory (FOR THE WHOLE MONTH!) is nope, zero, zilch, nada.
End of August too...I regret not buying it before...now I have to settle for my last flight in August.
Old May 27, 2016, 7:30 pm

Programs: CX Diamond (OW Emerald), former SQ Krisflyer Gold
Did anyone manage to snag any F seats for these flights? I tried 01OCT/CX543 but it seemed fully booked already when I got the email. In the end I only managed an upper deck J seat, which is also not all that bad
Old May 27, 2016, 8:29 pm

Programs: CX Diamond / SQ Gold / Bonvoy Platinum / Hyatt Globalist / Hilton Gold
A few guys I know booked ex-TPE J and F seats on the final two 744 flights - the date of the final flight was known to many of us around 3 months ago.
Old May 27, 2016, 8:53 pm

Programs: CX Diamond (OW Emerald), former SQ Krisflyer Gold
Originally Posted by Psychiatrist
A few guys I know booked ex-TPE J and F seats on the final two 744 flights - the date of the final flight was known to many of us around 3 months ago.
How did you guys find out? Was there another announcement or an internal source? I'm tempted to fly both outbound and inbound on the 744 but that doesn't give much time at all in Tokyo.

Do you know if anything special is planned ex-HKG for CX542?

My understanding is that main celebration is on the return CX543 flight?
Old May 27, 2016, 9:21 pm

Programs: CX Diamond / SQ Gold / Bonvoy Platinum / Hyatt Globalist / Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by midlevels
How did you guys find out? Was there another announcement or an internal source? I'm tempted to fly both outbound and inbound on the 744 but that doesn't give much time at all in Tokyo.

Do you know if anything special is planned ex-HKG for CX542?

My understanding is that main celebration is on the return CX543 flight?
I just got a message from a friend (and fellow FTer) in mid-March - no idea where he got his information. Two other friends also knew about it (and the three guys don't know each other) - so news must have been circulating around that time.

My friend told me the dates and told me to buy it asap - as my favorite 744 seat (2K) was still available on both flights. When I checked the ex-TPE fare, F was still available and the price was reasonable.

In any case, I couldn't take time off work on 30 Sept and so I won't be taking the flight. I've had three 744 flights to/from Tokyo already this year.

I have no idea about the celebration for CX542.
Old May 27, 2016, 9:46 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
I love that usually everyone is trying to avoid the herringbone seats and now suddenly everyone wants them
Old May 27, 2016, 9:56 pm

Programs: LH Senator, CX Diamond, UA Prem Plat, Fans of MO Elite
Farewell Flight Schedule:
CX542 HKG-HND 30 September is last CX 747 pax flight departing HKG.
CX543 HND-HKG 1 October is last CX 747 pax flight arriving HKG.

There will be a special gathering at the departure gate in HND before CX543 takes off.

CX email noted that if ticket for one of these flights is booked before 30 June, MPO member, plus any travel companions, will each receive a limited-edition, club-exclusive souvenir to commemorate the occasion.
Old May 27, 2016, 11:33 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
Originally Posted by FlyPointyEnd
End of August too...I regret not buying it before...now I have to settle for my last flight in August.
As a DM, do you think you can 'prompt' them to open up some award space by just throwing in a waitlist request? It should clear fairly quickly for you...? In comparison I am a complete nobody in CX's eyes when it comes to award waitlisting
Old May 28, 2016, 12:16 am

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
Originally Posted by G-CIVC
As a DM, do you think you can 'prompt' them to open up some award space by just throwing in a waitlist request? It should clear fairly quickly for you...? In comparison I am a complete nobody in CX's eyes when it comes to award waitlisting
Award space - I don't think so, but DM can do seat guarantee on J, W and Y. I don't know how they can handle that. Perhaps they zero out everything expecting all seats will be taken by DMs and GOs using seat guarantee.
Old May 28, 2016, 12:19 am

Originally Posted by sxc
I love that usually everyone is trying to avoid the herringbone seats and now suddenly everyone wants them
I like them. People are looking over my feet instead of my shoulders
Old May 28, 2016, 12:21 am

I hope there is a farewell lunch or something. We had that at SFO.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.