Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Last 747 Flight

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2016, 6:17 am

Programs: Marco Polo Diamond, Flying Blue Platinum for Life, GHA Black, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by CDG1
Are you serious?

Air France MEGA FAIL it was. A realistic image of what Air France has become after they ended Concorde service.

I hope you are a bit more calm in your daily life....
Old Oct 1, 2016, 6:26 am
mxr

Programs: CX DM
Well CX could always go and get the 748. Right now their biggest capacity birds are 777s.

Ok, I think my hopes are too high
Old Oct 1, 2016, 10:37 am

Programs: CX MPC
Originally Posted by midlevels
Nothing at HKIA. Just loud greeting from 8-10 staff standing in a line at the gate saying "Welcome to Hong Kong!!!".

Sorry I'm not much of a photographer so other than some personal pics I didn't take anything worth sharing. There were plenty of other FlyerTalkers on the flight who spend a lot of time taking photos and I'm sure eventually those will make their way here.

Flight was good, upper deck J pax who were near the cockpit could also go inside in and take photos with the crew while the preflight checks were going on. Tours of crew quarters available during the flight. There was a special menu printed for today's flight (at least in J, don't know about F/W/Y) specifying that it was for today's flight only. Numbered certificates were given out while boarding.

Flight was basically a party atmosphere, on upper J, most of the time the seats were empty as people were milling around. Galleys and aisles full of people.

Some people in F/J actually booked this flight without realising it was a "last 747 flight" and were really annoyed with all the extra fanfare and "annoyances", just wanted to get from point A to B with minimal fuss. At one point they had to close off the F cabin as there was too much foot traffic of "tourists".

45 DM and 20 OWE on the flight.
No ISM greeting for DMs. Bad👎🏿👎🏿👎🏿
Old Oct 1, 2016, 12:57 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Reading all of the posts here, especially from those who were on the last 747 flight, it is rather disappointing to see how "mismanaged" the experience was.

Either CX execs really had no clue about the passion many have for the Queen of the Skies and the sadness, perhaps, at the retirement of the pax fleet, or they just didn't care. The airline sold seats on the flight and that was all that mattered.

It would have been an excellent marketing opportunity to make it an event. Have a few of the birds set up for "last flights" on some routes and sell the tickets almost like a SMD - have a speaker or two, maybe a chief pilot, throw in some eats. Maybe some souvenirs of the trip.

Looking at how CX and a few others handle these things, I see them as huge missed opportunities to engage with their most passionate flyers and customers.

At least AF put out this awesome video (needs full screen to really feel the visuals). 3 min.

Old Oct 1, 2016, 3:40 pm

Programs: Marco Polo
CX has always been conservative when it comes to special events. They essentially did nothing for the first A350 flight and if I recall also nothing for the first 77W flight (mind you they had 777s already so they get a pass for that). Would've liked to see something else other than a staff only flight for the 747 retirement.
Old Oct 1, 2016, 6:25 pm

Programs: FreeAgent; DL Silver; IHG Diamond/ Ambassador
Originally Posted by KrazyTrain18
CX has always been conservative when it comes to special events. They essentially did nothing for the first A350 flight and if I recall also nothing for the first 77W flight (mind you they had 777s already so they get a pass for that). Would've liked to see something else other than a staff only flight for the 747 retirement.
More like frugal.

And with the recent financial situation, I think they will only get cheaper.
Old Oct 1, 2016, 6:40 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by hikouki
More like frugal.

LOL
Old Oct 1, 2016, 7:11 pm

Programs: CX Silver
Even the heavens opened up

Originally Posted by DernierVirage
I still think it's inexcusable that there was no water canon salute or a special welcome at the gate in HKIA though.
I was disappointed there were no water cannon salute as well. But to be fair, it was pouring rain to the point that my window was a complete blur. It was a very sad flight for me too. The B747 was a regular back in my student days, to the point that seeing the aircraft is like seeing home.

Now that we've seen how people react when a 747 retires, I wonder what will happen when the 777 goes into retirement. I think for a lot of us she carries a lot of memories as well.
Old Oct 1, 2016, 7:16 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by jysim
I was disappointed there were no water cannon salute as well. But to be fair, it was pouring rain to the point that my window was a complete blur. It was a very sad flight for me too. The B747 was a regular back in my student days, to the point that seeing the aircraft is like seeing home.

Now that we've seen how people react when a 747 retires, I wonder what will happen when the 777 goes into retirement. I think for a lot of us she carries a lot of memories as well.
That's too bad that there was no water cannon salute!

I'm sure when the 777 goes into retirement, there will be a similar sentiment, although I assume much of the nostalgia over the 747 revolves around the glamorous early days of flying with Pan Am.... as well as its size
Old Oct 1, 2016, 7:49 pm

Programs: CX - DM; Hilton - Diamond, Marriott - Titanium
Originally Posted by hikouki
More like frugal.

I remember I saw footage/clips pax posted on Youtube when SQ celebrated their last B747 flight. They were serving champagne for everyone on the flight and all pax seemed to have a great time altogether. How very differently from what it seemed just another ordinary, nothing special version of CX!

I am glad I didn't even bother booking on this last flight. CX regular service has already been very disappointing enough...
Old Oct 1, 2016, 10:53 pm

Originally Posted by midlevels
Nothing at HKIA. Just loud greeting from 8-10 staff standing in a line at the gate saying "Welcome to Hong Kong!!!".

Sorry I'm not much of a photographer so other than some personal pics I didn't take anything worth sharing. There were plenty of other FlyerTalkers on the flight who spend a lot of time taking photos and I'm sure eventually those will make their way here.

Flight was good, upper deck J pax who were near the cockpit could also go inside in and take photos with the crew while the preflight checks were going on. Tours of crew quarters available during the flight. There was a special menu printed for today's flight (at least in J, don't know about F/W/Y) specifying that it was for today's flight only. Numbered certificates were given out while boarding.

Flight was basically a party atmosphere, on upper J, most of the time the seats were empty as people were milling around. Galleys and aisles full of people.

Some people in F/J actually booked this flight without realising it was a "last 747 flight" and were really annoyed with all the extra fanfare and "annoyances", just wanted to get from point A to B with minimal fuss. At one point they had to close off the F cabin as there was too much foot traffic of "tourists".

45 DM and 20 OWE on the flight.
I was wondering why my friend on that flight posted a cockpit photo and also crew bunks.
Old Oct 2, 2016, 9:59 pm

Programs: CX DM, Watsons Wine Burgundy
http://australianaviation.com.au/201...nger-services/
Old Oct 3, 2016, 1:49 am

Programs: CX DM, SQ Gold
I flew Philippine a couple of years back from MNL-SFO and didnt know it was a 747 retirement flight and saw this video recently documenting it... They really made a proper send-off with water cannons and special lighting. I wont forget it.. CX could have done better with the impact the aircraft had on its brand.

Old Oct 3, 2016, 3:20 am

Programs: CX DM
Originally Posted by jacobsleather
Surely this is wrong : "... marking the end of an era that began on August 4 1976 when Cathay’s first 747, 747-200 VR-HKG, took to the skies for the first time in passenger service." ??
Old Oct 3, 2016, 5:47 am

Programs: CX DM, SQ KF
fast03- thanks for the link! Classy and not over the top- heck, that's what CX is supposed to be!

Almost any aviation fan in this age, would have a special corner for the 747.

Pity that CX came up so short in giving a right proper farewell to the plane that played such an important role in its history. As posted by others- representative of the airline these days.

1A just won't be the same ever again. (That was my first CX F experience, 5 years and a bit back- a crosswind made for a delightful approach to SFO with the fuselage curve making for awesome neck-crane peeks at the runway- the grainy old Blackberry clicked pic of my windows just before boarding that day..everything in front of the 4th blocked window was 'mine'- think that's when my love for CX started).
Attached Images  

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.