Community
Wiki Posts
Search

same day flight change/standby

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2015, 12:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AS 100K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Only 1,000 miles to change a flight is an amazing bargain. Are you sure you didn't pay 10,000 miles to change your award ticket as that would be equivalent to about US$100 (which is roughly in line with the change fees that various FF programs impose on award tickets) rather than US$10.
It's 1000miles or $25 to change; 10,000miles or $125 to reissue
Old Jan 16, 2015, 6:18 am

Originally Posted by jona970318
I assume you are referring to award travel on CX using Asiamiles, not partner award travel on CX?
Old Jan 18, 2015, 1:34 am

Programs: CX DM
Originally Posted by jona970318
Yup. I just changed 2 award flights for my wife and I (different dates and times) and was fully prepared to be hit with 10,000 miles only to discover that a change in flight timing is 1,000 miles. Pleasant surprise. And I even got upgraded at the gate, which makes me wonder why they agreed to change my flight!
Old Jan 18, 2015, 5:33 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 6_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/536.26 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0 Mobile/10B142 Safari/8536.25)

Originally Posted by Wasabi Tofu
Originally Posted by kaka
CX asiamiles award ticket and JL domestics are standby changes ok
Do you mean JL domestic ticket issued as a CX asiamiles award ?

About JL domestic Sakitoku fare rule:

http://www.jal.co.jp/en/dom/waribiki..._sakitoku.html
Please be advised that the ticket is also non transferable for an earlier flight or other JAL Group flights of the same sector at the departing airport on the day of departure.
Yes
Old Jan 18, 2015, 7:46 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by KACommuter
Yup. I just changed 2 award flights for my wife and I (different dates and times)
Different dates and/or times, same airline, same routing: US$25 or 1,000 AM per segment

Not commenced travel, change in class or routing, same airline: US$100 or 10,000 AM per itinerary

Change in airlines, cancel ticket or anything else: US$120 or 12,000AM per itinerary
Old Jan 30, 2015, 4:07 am

Programs: UA MM, SPG LT Plat,
taking a later flight

I am currently booking a flight from TPE-HKG, that is the start of a ticket that I am looking on Orbitz. The flight is 7am in the morning, with a one day layover in HK, then flying to Europe, via a different airline. If i ended up missing (or don't take) the 7am flight, but still want to go to HK later that day, what will be my options (I am in business class):

1) Will Cathay re-book me on a later flight for that day, so long as I pay the change fees?

2) Can they do this over the phone via their customer service, vs. having to show up at the airport?

3) Do I have to tell them before my 7am flight take off that I am not taking that flight, and that I want to switch to another flight later that day?

4) Does it matter that the ticket was purchased from Orbitz?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

sylaw72
Old Jan 30, 2015, 4:23 am
Suspended

Programs: None any more
It depends entirely on the fare rules of the specific ticket you are buying. There are tickets which are completely unchangeable, some that are completely flexible with no fees, and everything in between. Read the fare rules which must, presumably, be available on the Orbitz site.
Old Jan 30, 2015, 6:01 am

Programs: BA- GGL, Hyatt-GLB, Marriott- AMB
If you don't show up for the flight, they will be cancel the whole itinerary. Since You booked via orbitz, CX will not have control of the ticket and you will need to call your OTA. Usually CX tickets in Business class, I, A, D are free to change. However, you have a mixed carrier ticket, and subject to the ticket conditions, it makes the situation more complicated for CX to do anything. Be prepared to call Orbitz, they are generally OK over the phone.

Originally Posted by sylaw72
I am currently booking a flight from TPE-HKG, that is the start of a ticket that I am looking on Orbitz. The flight is 7am in the morning, with a one day layover in HK, then flying to Europe, via a different airline. If i ended up missing (or don't take) the 7am flight, but still want to go to HK later that day, what will be my options (I am in business class):

1) Will Cathay re-book me on a later flight for that day, so long as I pay the change fees?

2) Can they do this over the phone via their customer service, vs. having to show up at the airport?

3) Do I have to tell them before my 7am flight take off that I am not taking that flight, and that I want to switch to another flight later that day?

sylaw72
Old Jan 30, 2015, 10:55 am

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
Originally Posted by sylaw72

sylaw72
If TPE-HKG is the start of your travel, how can you miss that flight?

In any event, you have to deal with your travel agency. You haven't taken the first flight yet. CX has no control over it. Odd itineraries are usually less expensive. So if you rebook with your travel agency, you may potentially see a huge fare hike.
Old Mar 29, 2016, 3:19 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UA Gold
Sorry to drudge up an old thread, based on the comments, i understand that there is no official policy for same day standby for intra-asia flights, but the agents are pretty lenient? I'm have a HKG-TPE flight that I may want to take an earlier one, I assume that should be no issue if there are seats, since there are literally flights on the hour.

I've been able to do it easily on JAL flights, they have a "standby checkin desk" that allows you to pick your flight, you're even given priority with your OW status. Super efficient, but I would expect nothing less from a Japanese carrier.

Not the end of the world if not, i'm connecting thru DFW and my if my flight is early, I'd like to hop on an earlier flight, if not, more lounge time is not going to kill me.
Old May 27, 2016, 1:44 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond
Bbmatt,

Were you successful in taking the earlier flight?

I have a similar situation right now. I booked jfk hkg mnl using AA miles in 1st before the devaluation. I just changed my flight from Feb 2017 to today. The only flight with 1st availability from HKG to Mnl is at 4:30 pm and my flight into HKG arrives at 6am. There is a 730 and a 930 am flight but no 1st available and AA wouldn't allow me to downgrade to business on a segment.

I am hoping I can just fly standby and downgrade to Business class and fly right away. Otherwise there are worse places to have a 10 hour layover. I hear Sunday AM in Wanchai is quite the party.

I'll let everyone know if I am successful.
Old May 28, 2016, 3:51 am

Programs: BA EC
Originally Posted by bbmatt
Sorry to drudge up an old thread, based on the comments, i understand that there is no official policy for same day standby for intra-asia flights, but the agents are pretty lenient? I'm have a HKG-TPE flight that I may want to take an earlier one, I assume that should be no issue if there are seats, since there are literally flights on the hour.

I've been able to do it easily on JAL flights, they have a "standby checkin desk" that allows you to pick your flight, you're even given priority with your OW status. Super efficient, but I would expect nothing less from a Japanese carrier.

Not the end of the world if not, i'm connecting thru DFW and my if my flight is early, I'd like to hop on an earlier flight, if not, more lounge time is not going to kill me.
TPE ground staff is very nice, just ask them politely to change to an earlier flight. I have tried twice before, and is OK.
Old Mar 8, 2017, 7:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP (2MM), Marriott Tit
As a data point, I was not allowed to change my E class SIN-HKG flight from 12:55 to 10:00 today.

(And wow is the "dnata" lounge grim!)
Old Mar 9, 2017, 6:33 am

Programs: IHG Spire | Marriott Plat | UA Plat | AA Plat Pro
Originally Posted by PlatinumScum
As a data point, I was not allowed to change my E class SIN-HKG flight from 12:55 to 10:00 today.

(And wow is the "dnata" lounge grim!)
Was it a flat out denial, i.e. you can't? or was it, you can but pay the change fee?

If it's the first maybe the 10am flight was oversold in Y and they had to bump people up to PEY so they couldn't accommodate the change.
Old Mar 9, 2017, 6:47 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Sin is always by the books

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.