Search

same day flight change/standby

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2015, 6:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CX
same day flight change/standby

Hi everyone,

I'm due to fly on CX846 to JFK tomorrow evening. It seems to me that the earlier flights are fairly empty in Y as well so I wonder if I will be able to get on an earlier flight by standing by at the airport without paying any change fee. I am flying on a one way class-V ticket but unable to find the fare rules anywhere. Anyone has similar experience?

I'm also a MPC SL if that makes any difference. Thanks!
Old Jan 12, 2015, 12:27 am

Programs: CX Diamond / SQ Gold / Bonvoy Platinum / Hyatt Globalist / Hilton Gold
Try here to look for fare conditions:
https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_...nditions.html?

Select originating from US.

It appears all the Economy fares have rebooking fees. V class would have a rebooking fee of US$100 (as it is definitely not Economy Flex).

It really depends on your luck on the day. Even as a DM on a business class ticket which had a rebooking fee, I've been asked to pay to get on an earlier flight. I've also been asked to pay the rebooking fee in economy class as a GO.

But on other occasions I've been able to get on an earlier flight with no fee needed (again in economy class as a GO).

All of my experiences were out of HKG, trying to get on an earlier flight to TPE instead of hanging around in the airport for an hour.
Old Jan 12, 2015, 6:12 am

Programs: CX Diamond (OW Emerald), former SQ Krisflyer Gold
Depends on your luck. Many times I've got on an earlier flight without paying. But this is mainly on PVG hops where they treat it like a bus service almost.

If moving you to an earlier flight helps them to solve an overbooking issue, unlikely they'll fuss and will just move you.
Old Jan 12, 2015, 7:10 am

Programs: AA EXP, AS 100K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat
I've had experiences standing-by at HKG after missing a flight on award tickets. I didn't end up paying. But I'm not sure how things might change if you volunteerily want to change to an earlier flight
Old Jan 12, 2015, 7:40 am

Programs: CX Diamond / SQ Gold / Bonvoy Platinum / Hyatt Globalist / Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by jona970318
I've had experiences standing-by at HKG after missing a flight on award tickets. I didn't end up paying. But I'm not sure how things might change if you volunteerily want to change to an earlier flight
Before they started charging for flight changes on award tickets, standby on award tickets was allowed, as award tickets were fully flexible within the validity period.

I'm not sure if they charge for flight changes on award tickets now.
Old Jan 12, 2015, 7:50 pm

Can you amplify on this? I'm booked in J on a JFK-HKG flight using partner miles from US. Is there a rebooking fee if I stand by for an earlier flight that day? Does OW status matter?
Old Jan 12, 2015, 8:01 pm

Asiamiles has a rebooking fee now. Only applies to Asiamiles award tickets.

Not sure about partner programs.
Old Jan 14, 2015, 7:56 am

Originally Posted by travel4b
Can you amplify on this? I'm booked in J on a JFK-HKG flight using partner miles from US. Is there a rebooking fee if I stand by for an earlier flight that day? Does OW status matter?
That would be a very different scenario. Since you are on US stock, most agents wouldn't want to touch the ticket and will generally tell you to contact US
Old Jan 14, 2015, 7:57 am

Originally Posted by Psychiatrist
Before they started charging for flight changes on award tickets, standby on award tickets was allowed, as award tickets were fully flexible within the validity period.

I'm not sure if they charge for flight changes on award tickets now.
They do charge for changes. But we were able to standby after we'd missed our flight. We ended up getting the seats without any charges
Old Jan 14, 2015, 9:35 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, BW Diamond, TK Elite
They charge for changes, I redeemed a ticket but with a not so good flight schedule, I asked CX if I can waitlist on another flight (same day, and it will be a couple hours later than original flight), I'm asked for 1000 miles/person if the change is successful.
Old Jan 14, 2015, 12:15 pm

Originally Posted by jona970318
That would be a very different scenario. Since you are on US stock, most agents wouldn't want to touch the ticket and will generally tell you to contact US
That makes complete sense for changes prior to travel, but once travel has commenced then I think changes become the responsibility of the airline you are actually traveling on. For example, if the early morning CX flight were cancelled, then CX would not tell you to call US to reschedule.
Old Jan 14, 2015, 10:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
"Same day standby" is a concept largely centred on US-based airlines. For most other airlines around the world, a change is a change is a change, and if you need to pay for changes, they will charge both the change fee and any possible difference in a fare, full stop.

There are exceptions - typically if it helps the airline (ie if the flight you are booked on is overbooked, or if it has a significant planned delay which might make you miss your same-ticket connection, etc) but the default solution - especially if you have no high FF status and are travelling in a cheap booking class - is that this will not be possible.

On the question about award ticket booked on partner miles, I fully agree with the answer above, the operating airline will never touch the ticket (except in case of IRROPS) and will ask you to call US and sort it out with them.
Old Jan 15, 2015, 3:35 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by orbitmic
"Same day standby" is a concept largely centred on US-based airlines. For most other airlines around the world, a change is a change is a change, and if you need to pay for changes, they will charge both the change fee and any possible difference in a fare, full stop.

There are exceptions - typically if it helps the airline (ie if the flight you are booked on is overbooked, or if it has a significant planned delay which might make you miss your same-ticket connection, etc) but the default solution - especially if you have no high FF status and are travelling in a cheap booking class - is that this will not be possible.

On the question about award ticket booked on partner miles, I fully agree with the answer above, the operating airline will never touch the ticket (except in case of IRROPS) and will ask you to call US and sort it out with them.
CX asiamiles award ticket and JL domestics are standby changes ok
Old Jan 15, 2015, 9:08 am

Programs: NH Diamond, JL JGC Diamond, BA Gold Guest List(Gold for life), CX Diamond
Originally Posted by kaka
CX asiamiles award ticket and JL domestics are standby changes ok
Do you mean JL domestic ticket issued as a CX asiamiles award ?

About JL domestic Sakitoku fare rule:

http://www.jal.co.jp/en/dom/waribiki..._sakitoku.html
Please be advised that the ticket is also non transferable for an earlier flight or other JAL Group flights of the same sector at the departing airport on the day of departure.
Old Jan 15, 2015, 10:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by fakeman
They charge for changes, I redeemed a ticket but with a not so good flight schedule, I asked CX if I can waitlist on another flight (same day, and it will be a couple hours later than original flight), I'm asked for 1000 miles/person if the change is successful.
Only 1,000 miles to change a flight is an amazing bargain. Are you sure you didn't pay 10,000 miles to change your award ticket as that would be equivalent to about US$100 (which is roughly in line with the change fees that various FF programs impose on award tickets) rather than US$10.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.