Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

oneworld Multi-Carrier Awards - sharing ideas

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 19, 2017, 9:34 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ernestnywang
oneworld Multi-Carrier Awards Wiki v0.1

Rules
1. You need two non CX/KA carriers
2. You are allowed 5 stopovers, 2 transits (<=24hrs) and 2 open jaws. You can use your stopover allowance as a transit, possibly by asking for it to be ticketed as such (extra taxes?). [Using stopover for transit is no longer possible since 2021/22?]
3. The open-jaw points do not count towards your stopover allowance. Neither does the final city on the itinerary
4. You must start and end in the same country.
5. To determine the miles required, add up all flight sectors on your itinerary and look up the award chart (ignore the distance between open-jaw points). gcmap.com is handy, though best to go via asiamiles' calculator.
6. Co-terminals (NRT/HND, LHR/LCY) do not count as an open-jaw (takes up 1 stopover/transit allowance).

If an itinerary clears the above, it is valid, though you may have to argue a lot back and forth. Keep your patience suit on and and keep referring to the terms & conditions ("What in the T&Cs makes this invalid" tends to work).

For the examples below, x=transit, o=stopover, and capitalized alphabets represent airports.

Some valid routings that have commonly been pushed back on
1. "You cannot go through the start, destination, or enroute point more than once". A-oB-oA-oC-oD-A is a valid itinerary.
2. "An open-jaw point is a stopover". A-oB-oC-D//E-oF-G//H-oI-oJ-A is valid, as is A-oB-xC-D//E-oF-G//H-xI-oJ-oK-oL-A.

Other tips
1. Tickets are valid for 1 year from the date of issuance. Potentially a pain when planning that dream RTW trip involving LATAM/AA which release seats 330 days out, that you're trying to tee-in with CX award seats released a year out.
2. A combination of BA/AA/LATAM/QF sites works well to research availability (look for saver availability)
3. You can go crazy on the routings- A-oB-A//C-oD-C//E-A is fine if A,B,E are in country/Region # 1, and, C,D are at the other end of the world.

Print Wikipost

oneworld Multi-Carrier Awards - sharing ideas

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2019, 3:49 am

Originally Posted by rocket69
Successfully booked the following all the way on business.

HKG-DOH on QR : TRANSIT 1
DOH-LGW on QR: OPENJAW 1
HKG-JFK on CX: STOPOVER 1
JFK-SCL on LA: STOPOVER 2
SCL-JFK on LA: TRANSIT 2
JFK-HKG on CX: END

Total of 34,902 miles. Cost 210,000 Asia Miles.

Got a Europe return that i will try adding if available and move it total flown of around 48,000 miles and pay 240,000.
Managed to change the booking to the following.

HKG-DOH on QR : TRANSIT 1
DOH-LGW on QR: OPENJAW 1
MAN - HKG on CX: STOPOVER 1
HKG-JFK on CX: STOPOVER 2
JFK-SCL on LA: STOPOVER 3
SCL-JFK on LA: TRANSIT 2
JFK-HKG on CX: STOPOVER 4
HKG-PER on CX: STOPOVER 5
PER-HKG on CX:END

Total of 240k Miles. Happy with the end result.

Just something i realized it best to ask the agent the actual total miles as trying to calculate via CX website results in some major difference. HKG_JFK is actually 8,041 instead of 8,700 according to Asia Miles. (Assuming i got this right).
Old May 14, 2019, 4:34 am

Programs: CX DM, SQ KF
Originally Posted by rocket69
Just something i realized it best to ask the agent the actual total miles as trying to calculate via CX website results in some major difference. HKG_JFK is actually 8,041 instead of 8,700 according to Asia Miles. (Assuming i got this right).
The AM calculator, now, makes sense only for sectors where a partner flies and you can look up the fareclass that earns a 100% of the clown distance. Since the earn on CX/KA sectors is now band based, it won’t give the correct mileage. I suppose that the inflight mag would still have the route lengths listed.

Couple of other ways that’s i can think of:
1) Most routes would have a codeshare. Check the AM calculator under an airline that flies that route.
2) expertflyer >flight details...found it to be closer to CX’s systems than gcmap on the absolutely non-exhaustive search that I did (HKG-SIN/LAX/JFK)
G-CIVC likes this.

Last edited by jagmeets; May 14, 2019 at 4:57 am
Old May 26, 2019, 5:44 am

Just redeemed my second oneworld awards 165,000 Asia miles
Hkg - pvg - vvo - pvg - hkg
Hkg - nkg , pvg - hkg
hkg -doh - cmn , rak - mad - hkg
Old May 29, 2019, 12:10 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by hoyoto
Just redeemed my second oneworld awards 165,000 Asia miles
Hkg - pvg - vvo - pvg - hkg
Hkg - nkg , pvg - hkg
hkg -doh - cmn , rak - mad - hkg
Think the difficulty is to redeem CX J standard long-haul awards to and from HKG (in your case, the itin is J but only MAD-HKG is long-haul)
G-CIVC likes this.
Old May 30, 2019, 10:12 am

Programs: CX MPC GO; Golden Circle nobody!
My dear mother has 240k miles expiring tomorrow and she's been demanding that I come up with two around tickets for her and my dear auntie on their 72 and 71 years old birthday in Fall and next Spring. She wants to go to Japan, Thailand, Turkey, Morroco OR Egypt, Ireland, and the US OR South America (Yes, she has a long wishlist). For the last two days I dutifully read through all the threads and blogs and I came up with the following itinerary:

HKG-NGO on CX open jaw 1 (trip 1)
HKG-BKK on CX stopover 1 (trip 2)
BKK-DOH-SAW transit 1, stopover 2
IST-AMN-MAD transit 2, open jaw 2
DUB- HKG, stopover 3
HKG-YVR, stopover 4 (trip 3)
YVR-JFK, stopover 5
JFK-HKG Final

But then I was told that I cannot have the Japan openjaw this way (must book some form of a roundtrip), and because I am feeling quite time crunched, I have MPC booked only to Cairo instead of Madrid and ended the trip from Dublin to Hong Kong. So I am wondering if I am making a mistake? Should cut the Thailand trip (which is to make sure we can connect to Doha and Istanbul because I can not find any availability anywhere) and add Japan back in? Should I go crazy and take them to Chile??? Any thoughts would be appreciated!
Old May 30, 2019, 10:55 am

Programs: CX MPC GO; Golden Circle nobody!
I guess my question is--how can I utilize the open-jaw more efficiently?
Old Jul 5, 2019, 6:37 pm

Programs: IHG Rewards, ANA Mileage Club, AsiaMiles
Good morning. I’d like to ask if my multi carrier award has sectors in F, but my final leg is in J, would I be given baggage allowance for F or J?
My routing is like this : HKG - FRA / BSL- LHR / LHR- HND / NRT - TPE / TPE - HKG
The Long hauls are in F and short hauls in J.
Thanks.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 1:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CX Diamond / SQ Gold / Bonvoy Platinum / Hyatt Globalist / Hilton Gold
Just booked another OWMC award with 3 round trips to Europe + single leg to Tokyo, with 5 longhaul CX flights in F and flights on BA and QR in J.
Excellent value for 345000 Asia Miles.

HKG LHR PRG LHR HKG
HKG MXP / DOH HKG (redeemed MXP-DOH separately)
HKG FRA HKG
HND HKG

Wanted to share with you all the problem with married segments. I always check availability of the flights first before calling.

I booked HKG-LHR-PRG The agent entered the HKG-LHR flight and could not show CX251 (the more desired flight arriving LHR at 05:40) when entered separately, but could show it when HKG-LHR-PRG entered together. The same thing happened with the return flight - my desired flight CX251 would only show up when entered together as PRG-LHR-HKG.

I was actually quite amazed that LHR, FRA and MXP all had good F availability. Another great value OWMC award for 345000 miles.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 1:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CX Diamond / SQ Gold / Bonvoy Platinum / Hyatt Globalist / Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by nsolitude
My dear mother has 240k miles expiring tomorrow and she's been demanding that I come up with two around tickets for her and my dear auntie on their 72 and 71 years old birthday in Fall and next Spring. She wants to go to Japan, Thailand, Turkey, Morroco OR Egypt, Ireland, and the US OR South America (Yes, she has a long wishlist). For the last two days I dutifully read through all the threads and blogs and I came up with the following itinerary:

HKG-NGO on CX open jaw 1 (trip 1)
HKG-BKK on CX stopover 1 (trip 2)
BKK-DOH-SAW transit 1, stopover 2
IST-AMN-MAD transit 2, open jaw 2
DUB- HKG, stopover 3
HKG-YVR, stopover 4 (trip 3)
YVR-JFK, stopover 5
JFK-HKG Final

But then I was told that I cannot have the Japan openjaw this way (must book some form of a roundtrip), and because I am feeling quite time crunched, I have MPC booked only to Cairo instead of Madrid and ended the trip from Dublin to Hong Kong. So I am wondering if I am making a mistake? Should cut the Thailand trip (which is to make sure we can connect to Doha and Istanbul because I can not find any availability anywhere) and add Japan back in? Should I go crazy and take them to Chile??? Any thoughts would be appreciated!

I don't see what's wrong with your HKG-NGO, then HKG-BKK for the next flight. I do this all the time - adding a HKG-HND (F) in the beginning, middle or end (as HND-HKG) for my OWMC award originating from HKG.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 7:35 pm

Programs: CX DM, SQ KF
Originally Posted by Psychiatrist
Just booked another OWMC award with 3 round trips to Europe + single leg to Tokyo, with 5 longhaul CX flights in F and flights on BA and QR in J.
Excellent value for 345000 Asia Miles.

HKG LHR PRG LHR HKG
HKG MXP / DOH HKG (redeemed MXP-DOH separately)
HKG FRA HKG
HND HKG

Wanted to share with you all the problem with married segments. I always check availability of the flights first before calling.

I booked HKG-LHR-PRG The agent entered the HKG-LHR flight and could not show CX251 (the more desired flight arriving LHR at 05:40) when entered separately, but could show it when HKG-LHR-PRG entered together. The same thing happened with the return flight - my desired flight CX251 would only show up when entered together as PRG-LHR-HKG.

I was actually quite amazed that LHR, FRA and MXP all had good F availability. Another great value OWMC award for 345000 miles.
~how far into the future were the CX sectors?
married segments- shame on CX- but this could potentially bite them, and I hope it does- if ex HKG flyers start redeeming HKG-XXX-YYY for the same, or even lower miles, when they intend to travel only till XXX.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 9:32 pm

Originally Posted by jagmeets

married segments- shame on CX- but this could potentially bite them, and I hope it does- if ex HKG flyers start redeeming HKG-XXX-YYY for the same, or even lower miles, when they intend to travel only till XXX.

EU only? I don't see a lot of HKG-XXX-YYY for Australia and New Zealand (i.e. CX-QF)

Last edited by percysmith; Jul 15, 2019 at 11:12 pm
Old Jul 15, 2019, 11:10 pm

Originally Posted by Kitaka
Good morning. I’d like to ask if my multi carrier award has sectors in F, but my final leg is in J, would I be given baggage allowance for F or J?
My routing is like this : HKG - FRA / BSL- LHR / LHR- HND / NRT - TPE / TPE - HKG
The Long hauls are in F and short hauls in J.
Thanks.
MSC applies until to your next stopover so F
Old Jul 15, 2019, 11:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jagmeets

March April May 2019
Originally Posted by percysmith
EU only? I don't see a lot of HKG-XXX-YYY for Australia and New Zealand (i.e. CX-QF)
Yes, EU only - didn't search Aus/NZ/North America
Old Jul 19, 2019, 3:21 am

Originally Posted by Psychiatrist
If you have unused stopovers, they can be used for transits if you have already used up the 2 transit limit.

Point it out to the agent if you get asked.

Taxes will most likely be higher for stopover than transit, which can be a big difference e.g. LHR.

Note that the opposite does not apply - an unused transit (<24 hours) cannot be used for a stopover (>24 hours).

Hi Psychiatrist. I've been reading this thread and sorry if this has been asked before. If I fly dxb-lhr//hel-jfk as part of the MCA, is the surface sector(lhr-hel) counted in total travel distance? Will I be taxed lhr APD for the open jaw? Thank you for your kind assistance.
Old Jul 20, 2019, 11:02 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by iamWill

Hi Psychiatrist. I've been reading this thread and sorry if this has been asked before. If I fly dxb-lhr//hel-jfk as part of the MCA, is the surface sector(lhr-hel) counted in total travel distance? Will I be taxed lhr APD for the open jaw? Thank you for your kind assistance.
Surface sector not counted in total travel distance.

I have no idea about APD/taxes, I just pay whatever they tell me to (I'm grateful for getting the seat so I don't bother checking the APD).

But your LHR-HEL will likely be counted as a stopover in LHR. Perhaps others who are more knowledgable can assist?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.