Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

oneworld Multi-Carrier Awards - sharing ideas

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 19, 2017, 9:34 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ernestnywang
oneworld Multi-Carrier Awards Wiki v0.1

Rules
1. You need two non CX/KA carriers
2. You are allowed 5 stopovers, 2 transits (<=24hrs) and 2 open jaws. You can use your stopover allowance as a transit, possibly by asking for it to be ticketed as such (extra taxes?). [Using stopover for transit is no longer possible since 2021/22?]
3. The open-jaw points do not count towards your stopover allowance. Neither does the final city on the itinerary
4. You must start and end in the same country.
5. To determine the miles required, add up all flight sectors on your itinerary and look up the award chart (ignore the distance between open-jaw points). gcmap.com is handy, though best to go via asiamiles' calculator.
6. Co-terminals (NRT/HND, LHR/LCY) do not count as an open-jaw (takes up 1 stopover/transit allowance).

If an itinerary clears the above, it is valid, though you may have to argue a lot back and forth. Keep your patience suit on and and keep referring to the terms & conditions ("What in the T&Cs makes this invalid" tends to work).

For the examples below, x=transit, o=stopover, and capitalized alphabets represent airports.

Some valid routings that have commonly been pushed back on
1. "You cannot go through the start, destination, or enroute point more than once". A-oB-oA-oC-oD-A is a valid itinerary.
2. "An open-jaw point is a stopover". A-oB-oC-D//E-oF-G//H-oI-oJ-A is valid, as is A-oB-xC-D//E-oF-G//H-xI-oJ-oK-oL-A.

Other tips
1. Tickets are valid for 1 year from the date of issuance. Potentially a pain when planning that dream RTW trip involving LATAM/AA which release seats 330 days out, that you're trying to tee-in with CX award seats released a year out.
2. A combination of BA/AA/LATAM/QF sites works well to research availability (look for saver availability)
3. You can go crazy on the routings- A-oB-A//C-oD-C//E-A is fine if A,B,E are in country/Region # 1, and, C,D are at the other end of the world.

Print Wikipost

oneworld Multi-Carrier Awards - sharing ideas

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2018, 11:17 am

Programs: Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Radisson Rewards Gold, Best Western Diamond Select
Question can this be chart be used for one way tickets? For example BA+AA, if so then the round trip price divided by 2 is very good.
Old May 2, 2018, 7:37 pm

Originally Posted by slickvik
Question can this be chart be used for one way tickets? For example BA+AA, if so then the round trip price divided by 2 is very good.
must roundtrip
Old May 2, 2018, 9:55 pm

Programs: CX DM, SQ KF
Although something like A-B-C//D-A where the last segment is a very short openjaw returning you to the point (or country) of origin is perfectly legit.
Old May 7, 2018, 10:59 pm

Programs: HGP Globalist, SPG P100, Hilton Dia
Stopover allowance as Transfer

I am trying to ticket the following itinerary. Am I correct that I currently have 4 stopover, 2 transfer and 2 open jaws?
  • HKG-CEB /openjaw
  • MNL-HKG /stopover
  • HKG-PVG /stopover
  • PVG-HKG /stopover
  • HKG-DXB /transfer
  • DXB-LHR /openjaw
  • TNG-MAD /stopover
  • MAD-DOH /transfer
  • DOH-HKG
If so, can I add LGW-RAK and use the 5th stopover as transfer (according to wiki, co terminals do not count as openjaw)? I have called two MPC agents and was denied by both! Has the policy changed or is it another case of HUACA? Thanks!
Old May 11, 2018, 11:55 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
Struggling to get something in case the devaluation happens soon. How's this itinerary for 160,000/235,000 in J/F?

CDG-oHKG-oLHR-oZRH-oHKG-LHR//BCN-CDG
CX, CX, BA, CX, CX, IB. 24,709 according to CX website. Will I have any issues going through HKG and LHR twice (/taking the HKG-LHR flight twice?)
Suppose the first 3-4 flights are in 10-12 months time. The last one in (say) 18. I read above and saw that CX would let me hold the seats, but for 6 more months? If only CX flights can be held I wonder if I can tell them to consider LHR-ZRH a surface sector first and I add it back later.

Additional brainstorming for the next band...
CDG-oHKG-oLHR-oZRH-oHKG-LHR//BCN-LHR//HKG-oHND-xHKG-xLHR-CDG
34,691 (CX, CX, BA, CX, CX, IB, CX, CX, CX, BA)
Old May 12, 2018, 12:03 am

If a devaluation is coming, you’ll need to issue the tickets before that, and award tickets are only valid for 12m from the issue date, so holding for 6months might be moot..
ita fine to go through the same place/sector again- no clue how much they’ll push back though.
Old May 12, 2018, 12:30 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
I called 3888 but I guess since I asked such a hypothetical question they couldn't give a concrete answer, just said 1 month would be much easier than let's say 6.

Let's say if I have enough AM to issue the first itin but not the second yet, can I reissue to the higher band later? I assume it will be a $100 reissuance fee and must be done before the first flight is flown. Keeping the same original routing as well.

So, from
to
CDG-oHKG-oLHR-oZRH-oHKG-LHR//BCN-CDG//HKG-oHND-xHKG-xLHR-CDG
Old May 13, 2018, 8:42 pm

Just "learnt" a new restriction when making a multi-carrier award redemption.

Friend wanna to redeem HKG-(CX)-oMAD-(IB)-oEZE-(BA)-xLHR-(CX)-HKG

All sectors are shown available on CX/BAEC websites. When creating the booking, the agent insisted that the last segment LHR-HKG on CX flight cannot be ticketed as transit. Obviously he doesn't want to stopover in LHR and paying the outrageous UK APD. OTOH, the agent suggested to travel on BA aircraft in the last segment which the booking can be created.

From CX website, there is an interesting observation.
One-way LHR-HKG (CX and BA: Available)
One-way MAD-LHR-HKG (BA-CX: Available)
One-way EZE-LHR-HKG (BA-CX: CX flights showed as Unavail. BA-BA: Available)

Anyone heard/experienced something similar?
Old May 13, 2018, 9:27 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
i've heard about this before
hail CX IT
nothing much you can do about it
Old May 13, 2018, 9:39 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by lewisyu
Just "learnt" a new restriction when making a multi-carrier award redemption.

Friend wanna to redeem HKG-(CX)-oMAD-(IB)-oEZE-(BA)-xLHR-(CX)-HKG

All sectors are shown available on CX/BAEC websites. When creating the booking, the agent insisted that the last segment LHR-HKG on CX flight cannot be ticketed as transit. Obviously he doesn't want to stopover in LHR and paying the outrageous UK APD. OTOH, the agent suggested to travel on BA aircraft in the last segment which the booking can be created.

From CX website, there is an interesting observation.
One-way LHR-HKG (CX and BA: Available)
One-way MAD-LHR-HKG (BA-CX: Available)
One-way EZE-LHR-HKG (BA-CX: CX flights showed as Unavail. BA-BA: Available)

Anyone heard/experienced something similar?
I stopped over in LHR when I went on EZE-LHR-HKG https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cath...practices.html

I could've transit in theory. But I didn't ask agent to.
Star-crossed again? Especially the system doesn't allow it - so weird.
Old May 13, 2018, 10:07 pm

Originally Posted by kaka
i've heard about this before
hail CX IT
nothing much you can do about it
Same thought. "Kudos" to CX IT. Now need to take a worse seat, longer layover in LHR and pay the BA YQ.
Old May 14, 2018, 11:56 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by G-CIVC
Struggling to get something in case the devaluation happens soon. How's this itinerary for 160,000/235,000 in J/F?

CX, CX, BA, CX, CX, IB. 24,709 according to CX website. Will I have any issues going through HKG and LHR twice (/taking the HKG-LHR flight twice?)
Suppose the first 3-4 flights are in 10-12 months time. The last one in (say) 18. I read above and saw that CX would let me hold the seats, but for 6 more months? If only CX flights can be held I wonder if I can tell them to consider LHR-ZRH a surface sector first and I add it back later.

Additional brainstorming for the next band...
CDG-oHKG-oLHR-oZRH-oHKG-LHR//BCN-LHR//HKG-oHND-xHKG-xLHR-CDG
34,691 (CX, CX, BA, CX, CX, IB, CX, CX, CX, BA)
Originally Posted by jagmeets
If a devaluation is coming, you’ll need to issue the tickets before that, and award tickets are only valid for 12m from the issue date, so holding for 6months might be moot..
ita fine to go through the same place/sector again- no clue how much they’ll push back though.
Just a heads up, I was able to partly confirm my itinerary, for all the legs within 12 months. Agent implied no deadline for CX sectors, the deadline was set by BA. (Well, I 'promised' that I would issue some time before August...) What I have to do is just call back by then and ask them to ask BA for further extension - she even suggested that since there were so many LHR-ZRH flights, I could just confirm on another one and BA would grant them another deadline, just rinse and repeat. No issues at all with the routing.

I also had just 300 AM in my account. No 70% rule BS. I guess I was lucky.
Old May 15, 2018, 12:16 am

Originally Posted by G-CIVC
Just a heads up, I was able to partly confirm my itinerary, for all the legs within 12 months. Agent implied no deadline for CX sectors, the deadline was set by BA. (Well, I 'promised' that I would issue some time before August...) What I have to do is just call back by then and ask them to ask BA for further extension - she even suggested that since there were so many LHR-ZRH flights, I could just confirm on another one and BA would grant them another deadline, just rinse and repeat. No issues at all with the routing.

I also had just 300 AM in my account. No 70% rule BS. I guess I was lucky.
Thanks a lot for sharing. Does it mean no reissuance charge for changing the itinerary as long as you hold but not issue the ticket? Is it a DM only benefit?
Old May 15, 2018, 3:30 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by lewisyu
Thanks a lot for sharing. Does it mean no reissuance charge for changing the itinerary as long as you hold but not issue the ticket? Is it a DM only benefit?
I don't think it is related to DM. Since I have not issued the ticket, there is no way they can charge me a fee for 'reissuing' a ticket, when there is no issued ticket to begin with.
Old May 15, 2018, 6:19 am

This is good!

worst case, the BA segments get dropped, and you work alternatives (that in case the oneworld liaison can’t sort out- since CX, has promised you something).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.