Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

oneworld Multi-Carrier Awards - sharing ideas

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 19, 2017, 9:34 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ernestnywang
oneworld Multi-Carrier Awards Wiki v0.1

Rules
1. You need two non CX/KA carriers
2. You are allowed 5 stopovers, 2 transits (<=24hrs) and 2 open jaws. You can use your stopover allowance as a transit, possibly by asking for it to be ticketed as such (extra taxes?). [Using stopover for transit is no longer possible since 2021/22?]
3. The open-jaw points do not count towards your stopover allowance. Neither does the final city on the itinerary
4. You must start and end in the same country.
5. To determine the miles required, add up all flight sectors on your itinerary and look up the award chart (ignore the distance between open-jaw points). gcmap.com is handy, though best to go via asiamiles' calculator.
6. Co-terminals (NRT/HND, LHR/LCY) do not count as an open-jaw (takes up 1 stopover/transit allowance).

If an itinerary clears the above, it is valid, though you may have to argue a lot back and forth. Keep your patience suit on and and keep referring to the terms & conditions ("What in the T&Cs makes this invalid" tends to work).

For the examples below, x=transit, o=stopover, and capitalized alphabets represent airports.

Some valid routings that have commonly been pushed back on
1. "You cannot go through the start, destination, or enroute point more than once". A-oB-oA-oC-oD-A is a valid itinerary.
2. "An open-jaw point is a stopover". A-oB-oC-D//E-oF-G//H-oI-oJ-A is valid, as is A-oB-xC-D//E-oF-G//H-xI-oJ-oK-oL-A.

Other tips
1. Tickets are valid for 1 year from the date of issuance. Potentially a pain when planning that dream RTW trip involving LATAM/AA which release seats 330 days out, that you're trying to tee-in with CX award seats released a year out.
2. A combination of BA/AA/LATAM/QF sites works well to research availability (look for saver availability)
3. You can go crazy on the routings- A-oB-A//C-oD-C//E-A is fine if A,B,E are in country/Region # 1, and, C,D are at the other end of the world.

Print Wikipost

oneworld Multi-Carrier Awards - sharing ideas

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2018, 9:32 am
Suspended

Programs: None any more
Oops, sorry. Transit then openjaw.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 7:11 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriot Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, United Platinum
Just made my first One World Multi-Carrier award booking for upcoming Honeymoon. I actually tried to use a couple of the paid services to help me make the entire booking but they were pretty useless...ended up figuring this out on my own with a lot of playing around on AA, CX, and QF websites... as well as on phone with CX call center. They were pretty helpful. One note- while the policy is not explicitly stated- CX agents do have the ability to "hold" itineraries while miles are transferring, etc. Even on OWMC awards...as long as the trip is far enough out, they can in theory hold your seats on One World Partners for a week or two without risk (even though they always state there is some risk and cannot guarantee blah blah blah).

Was hoping to use Alaska Miles to book flights- but made this difficult as far additional availability on CX metal business awards further out directly with CX...so ended up transferring a large pile of SPG points to CX (which took far too long...about 10 days with complications, etc). In the end, however, I am very happy with my itinerary and overall redemption value given that it is a honeymoon trip, and is over XMAS/New Years on prime routes. See below for exact routing- taking advantage of as much of the T&C's as possible. Total was 180,000 miles per person (plus a small handful of AA and UA miles).

BOS-LGA (AA) Stopover 1 (JFK/LGA/EWR all count as one city)
JFK-HKG (CX) Transit 1
HKG-AKL (CX) Stopover 2
*Booked on Own with United Miles: AKL-ZQN on NZ (cheap)
*Booked on Own with AA Miles: ZQN-SYD on JQ (cheap)
SYD-HTI (QF) Open Jaw 1
HTI-SYD (QF) Stopover 3
SYD-HKG (CX) Stopover 4
HKG-BOS (CX) Transit 2
Old Sep 21, 2018, 6:39 pm

I am currently planning our honeymoon and trying to make the best out of my miles & more and american express points.
My idea is to use my miles & more to travel from FRA to HND with Lufthansa (one way) and convert my amex points into asia miles to buy a one world multi carrier award with it. The current route looks as follows:

HND to PVG (Japan Airlines)
Stopover 1
PVG to HKG (Cathay Pacific)
Stopover 2
HKG to DAD (Cathay Dragon)
Open JAW 1
BKK to DOH (Qatar)
Stopover 3
DOH to FRA (Qatar)

In this case our starting point would not be same with our ending point (HND vs. FRA). Is it possible to add up a short distance flight as following to meet up the requirements of the award and don't fly this route?

Open Jaw
KIX to HND (Japan Airlines)

What about the regulations of an open jaw? Has the open jaw to be in one region or can I have an open jaw as shown above (FRA / KIX)?

Thanks in advance!!
Old Sep 23, 2018, 11:19 am

Originally Posted by Manu.ja
I am currently planning our honeymoon and trying to make the best out of my miles & more and american express points.
My idea is to use my miles & more to travel from FRA to HND with Lufthansa (one way) and convert my amex points into asia miles to buy a one world multi carrier award with it. The current route looks as follows:

HND to PVG (Japan Airlines)
Stopover 1
PVG to HKG (Cathay Pacific)
Stopover 2
HKG to DAD (Cathay Dragon)
Open JAW 1
BKK to DOH (Qatar)
Stopover 3
DOH to FRA (Qatar)

In this case our starting point would not be same with our ending point (HND vs. FRA). Is it possible to add up a short distance flight as following to meet up the requirements of the award and don't fly this route?

Open Jaw
KIX to HND (Japan Airlines)

What about the regulations of an open jaw? Has the open jaw to be in one region or can I have an open jaw as shown above (FRA / KIX)?

Thanks in advance!!
I made some research and updated the itinerary:

HND-PVG (Japan Airlines)
Stopover 1
PVG-HKG (Cathay)
Stopover 2
HKG-DAD (Cathay)
Open Jaw 1
BKK-DOH (Qatar)
Stopover 3
DOH-FRA (Qatar)
Open Jaw 2
KMQ-HND (Japan Airlines) --> NO SHOW

Total Distance is 8766 miles. According to redemption chard the costs for business class will be 100.000 Miles for this trip.

Does this trip meet the requirements of the oneworld multi carrier award?
Is there any regulation to the open jaw (has it to be within a region?; is the distance of open jaw relevant?)?
What will happen if we will not show up in the last flight? Are there any costs to be expected?

I would appreciate if anybody could help me. Thanks!!
Old Nov 19, 2018, 7:37 am

Programs: CX DM, SQ KF Gold
Sorry if the answer to this is obvious, but I am struggling to find clarity on the following question:

If I want to find availability on AY for one or more legs as part of an AM multicarrier award, how can I find available sectors? Whenever I look on the CX website, AY either doesn’t come up at all as an option, or it is giving the message “This flight is fully booked” for EVERY single flight that is available over a range of dates (Even for flights 10+ months out).

What alchemy is required to find AY availability using AsiaMiles? In business, if that makes a difference?
Old Nov 19, 2018, 8:57 am

Programs: JL GC | Marriott LT Silver | Global Entry | SQ Silver
Originally Posted by NetJets Germany
Sorry if the answer to this is obvious, but I am struggling to find clarity on the following question:

If I want to find availability on AY for one or more legs as part of an AM multicarrier award, how can I find available sectors? Whenever I look on the CX website, AY either doesn’t come up at all as an option, or it is giving the message “This flight is fully booked” for EVERY single flight that is available over a range of dates (Even for flights 10+ months out).

What alchemy is required to find AY availability using AsiaMiles? In business, if that makes a difference?
Maybe there are no awards available for partner at the moment?
Old Nov 30, 2018, 8:35 am

Programs: QR Gold, ITA Club Executive, Hilton Gold, GHA Titanium, Taj Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Gold Elite
This forum has helped me immensely understand the complicated rules behind the OneWorld Multi Carrier award ticket. So, thanks everyone for sharing your experiences and answering questions from beginners like myself. Just prior to the devaluation in June I booked myself and my SO on a trip to Chile for our honeymoon in April 2019:

SIN-xDOH-JFK (QR equipped with Qsuites) // SCL-oIPC-SCL (LATAM) // LAX-xHKG-SIN (CX) .
All in all it's 160k miles each in J and just over 24k miles flown, so utilising the distance band pretty well. The same itinerary in J will now cost 185k miles.

I was hoping to add-on the LATAM segments - JFK-oSCL-xLAX - but award availability never opened up. Instead of taking the risk and waiting for last minute award pace to open up, I decided to take advantage of the Black Friday 140% miles promo LifeMiles was offering. I snagged 2 seats in J on Avianca for SCL-BOG-LAX, all aboard their B787 Each ticket in J effectively cost me 'only' USD 790! For JFK-SCL I got a decent deal on LATAM on Cyber Monday in Y and decided to just go with it. I'm an OWE, so will get their LATAM+ seats for free, so it shouldn't be too bad.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 10:43 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by lifeonthego_k
SIN-xDOH-JFK (QR equipped with Qsuites) // SCL-oIPC-SCL (LATAM) // LAX-xHKG-SIN (CX)
I had similar experience as you https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/lata...l#post30294602

I wanted SYD-SCL or v.v. in LATAM for my RTW.

Eventually QF J SCL-SYD opened up and I settled for that.

Curiously BA actually has availability for LATAM J reinstated. But it'll cost me a whopping 150,000/pax/one-way to do it with Avios, while it is 30,000 AM for the RTW Zone 9 --> Zone 11.
Given that's about US$1,100 worth of points we could have otherwise used as cash rebate, not justified.

Last edited by percysmith; Dec 1, 2018 at 8:41 pm
Old Dec 7, 2018, 7:09 pm

How is fuel surcharge calculated on these itineraries?
Old Dec 9, 2018, 7:07 pm

Programs: QR Gold, ITA Club Executive, Hilton Gold, GHA Titanium, Taj Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Gold Elite
Originally Posted by yerffej201
How is fuel surcharge calculated on these itineraries?
Use google ITA matirx. In case you need some guidance, you can refer to this article: Here’s a quick way to check award ticket taxes and surcharges
Old Dec 16, 2018, 12:43 am

One way from SIN-LHR via Doha redemption (Non CX)

Hi All,

Can I check if this is valid route as a one way from SIN-DOH (QR) -LHR (BA) at 70,000 miles?

Strange I can only get this routing work (asia miles website) on the same airlines but not 2 different non cx airlines. It also work for CX/nonCX combination.

Appreciate the help.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 2:40 am

Originally Posted by luv_flying
Hi All,

Can I check if this is valid route as a one way from SIN-DOH (QR) -LHR (BA) at 70,000 miles?

Strange I can only get this routing work (asia miles website) on the same airlines but not 2 different non cx airlines. It also work for CX/nonCX combination. If you want to redeem at 70,000 miles, both legs need to be on QR.

Appreciate the help.
It is a valid route at 90,000miles for business class. Since it involve 2 non-CX carrier, the oneworld multi-carrier chart is used. If you want to redeem at 70,000miles, both legs need to be on QR.

Last edited by focusonskills; Dec 17, 2018 at 1:36 am
Old Dec 16, 2018, 4:03 am

Programs: CX DM, SQ KF
It’s not a oneworld multi carrier award. That one is valid only for trips starting and ending in the same country.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 7:33 am

Originally Posted by focusonskills
It is a valid route at 90,000miles for business class. Since it involve 2 non-CX carrier, the oneworld multi-carrier chart is used. If you want to redeem at 70,000miles, both legs need to be on QR.
Thank you. So what would be miles required for SIN-DOH-LHR if by QR and BA?
Old Dec 18, 2018, 10:34 am

Originally Posted by luv_flying
Thank you. So what would be miles required for SIN-DOH-LHR if by QR and BA?
70,000 if both legs on QR.
AsiaMiles does not allow 2 Oneworld partners in one redemption unless you return to the origin. So if you want them on QR+BA it has to be issued as 2 oneways, which cost 100,000miles combined.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.