Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

oneworld Multi-Carrier Awards - sharing ideas

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 19, 2017, 9:34 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ernestnywang
oneworld Multi-Carrier Awards Wiki v0.1

Rules
1. You need two non CX/KA carriers
2. You are allowed 5 stopovers, 2 transits (<=24hrs) and 2 open jaws. You can use your stopover allowance as a transit, possibly by asking for it to be ticketed as such (extra taxes?). [Using stopover for transit is no longer possible since 2021/22?]
3. The open-jaw points do not count towards your stopover allowance. Neither does the final city on the itinerary
4. You must start and end in the same country.
5. To determine the miles required, add up all flight sectors on your itinerary and look up the award chart (ignore the distance between open-jaw points). gcmap.com is handy, though best to go via asiamiles' calculator.
6. Co-terminals (NRT/HND, LHR/LCY) do not count as an open-jaw (takes up 1 stopover/transit allowance).

If an itinerary clears the above, it is valid, though you may have to argue a lot back and forth. Keep your patience suit on and and keep referring to the terms & conditions ("What in the T&Cs makes this invalid" tends to work).

For the examples below, x=transit, o=stopover, and capitalized alphabets represent airports.

Some valid routings that have commonly been pushed back on
1. "You cannot go through the start, destination, or enroute point more than once". A-oB-oA-oC-oD-A is a valid itinerary.
2. "An open-jaw point is a stopover". A-oB-oC-D//E-oF-G//H-oI-oJ-A is valid, as is A-oB-xC-D//E-oF-G//H-xI-oJ-oK-oL-A.

Other tips
1. Tickets are valid for 1 year from the date of issuance. Potentially a pain when planning that dream RTW trip involving LATAM/AA which release seats 330 days out, that you're trying to tee-in with CX award seats released a year out.
2. A combination of BA/AA/LATAM/QF sites works well to research availability (look for saver availability)
3. You can go crazy on the routings- A-oB-A//C-oD-C//E-A is fine if A,B,E are in country/Region # 1, and, C,D are at the other end of the world.

Print Wikipost

oneworld Multi-Carrier Awards - sharing ideas

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2024, 7:04 am

If I issue a RTW ticket today with an expire date 365 days from now say 2/8/2025 and my last leg is on 2/2/2025.

But in reality the ticket on 2/8/2025 is what I wanted. A week later when reward tickets for 2/8/2025 becomes available can I do a pay $50 and do a date change for the last leg only?
Old Feb 8, 2024, 7:55 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by GoodyFans
5. The itinerary cannot get through the "system" for unknown reasons and nothing they can do [ultimate excuse]
6. I don’t want to do this. I know this call isn’t audited. I’m going to hang up on you now.
Old Feb 8, 2024, 7:56 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by pd1274
But in reality the ticket on 2/8/2025 is what I wanted. A week later when reward tickets for 2/8/2025 becomes available can I do a pay $50 and do a date change for the last leg only?
Only if your travel begins after 2/8/2024
Old Feb 8, 2024, 8:06 am

Originally Posted by percysmith
Only if your travel begins after 2/8/2024
Yes I am. Alright going for it, not sure if the picture will load but this is my itinerary which I built using Jay’s tool.

was hoping to take CX on #7 and #8 but they have not loaded for 2025.

assuming I was able to ticket this and later on CX flights become available I will need to pay $120 to change them to CX flights, something like PVG-HKG-ORD?

thanks again!
Old Feb 11, 2024, 7:17 am

Hi Guy,

Below is my itinerary I am thinking of redeeming.

cgk-hkg-icn-hel-lhr-yyz-hkg-cgk

I will be transition through hong kong twice, will this be an issue?
I read on a few post that some agents will deny this. if that happens, should I just call back and should solve this issue?
Old Feb 17, 2024, 5:52 am

How is JAL availability? Prior to Covid, I find JAL and Iberia have good availability. Now, only find Iberia has good availability and maybe Finnair and QR for some routes. JAL is almost hard to find but their capacity is still less than pre Covid.
Old Feb 20, 2024, 12:15 pm

Originally Posted by pd1274
Yes I am. Alright going for it, not sure if the picture will load but this is my itinerary which I built using Jay’s tool.

was hoping to take CX on #7 and #8 but they have not loaded for 2025.

assuming I was able to ticket this and later on CX flights become available I will need to pay $120 to change them to CX flights, something like PVG-HKG-ORD?

thanks again!
Just issued this in less than 30mins, costing 265K Asian Miles and HK$10,000 YQ/taxes. An extremely helpful CX agent made it easy. She even grabbed 2 J seats when the system shows only 1 available for one of the segments.

This is the 2nd time over the past year I was able to combine 1 NA - EU round trip and 1 NA-Asia round trip together as a RTW trip. CX RTW continued to be one of the better ones thanks to its well-defined rules and seats availability. I was able to grab J seats in both AY and JL when BA agents can’t see them. I also tried same itinerary with BA but was rejected due to ‘no backtracking’ rule.
percysmith and lifeonthego_k like this.
Old Apr 12, 2024, 4:22 am

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
booked the following for 240k last year before devaluation.
49805 flown miles on AY and IB.

A map from the Great Circle Mapper - Great Circle Mapper

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.