Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

oneworld Multi-Carrier Awards - sharing ideas

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 19, 2017, 9:34 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ernestnywang
oneworld Multi-Carrier Awards Wiki v0.1

Rules
1. You need two non CX/KA carriers
2. You are allowed 5 stopovers, 2 transits (<=24hrs) and 2 open jaws. You can use your stopover allowance as a transit, possibly by asking for it to be ticketed as such (extra taxes?). [Using stopover for transit is no longer possible since 2021/22?]
3. The open-jaw points do not count towards your stopover allowance. Neither does the final city on the itinerary
4. You must start and end in the same country.
5. To determine the miles required, add up all flight sectors on your itinerary and look up the award chart (ignore the distance between open-jaw points). gcmap.com is handy, though best to go via asiamiles' calculator.
6. Co-terminals (NRT/HND, LHR/LCY) do not count as an open-jaw (takes up 1 stopover/transit allowance).

If an itinerary clears the above, it is valid, though you may have to argue a lot back and forth. Keep your patience suit on and and keep referring to the terms & conditions ("What in the T&Cs makes this invalid" tends to work).

For the examples below, x=transit, o=stopover, and capitalized alphabets represent airports.

Some valid routings that have commonly been pushed back on
1. "You cannot go through the start, destination, or enroute point more than once". A-oB-oA-oC-oD-A is a valid itinerary.
2. "An open-jaw point is a stopover". A-oB-oC-D//E-oF-G//H-oI-oJ-A is valid, as is A-oB-xC-D//E-oF-G//H-xI-oJ-oK-oL-A.

Other tips
1. Tickets are valid for 1 year from the date of issuance. Potentially a pain when planning that dream RTW trip involving LATAM/AA which release seats 330 days out, that you're trying to tee-in with CX award seats released a year out.
2. A combination of BA/AA/LATAM/QF sites works well to research availability (look for saver availability)
3. You can go crazy on the routings- A-oB-A//C-oD-C//E-A is fine if A,B,E are in country/Region # 1, and, C,D are at the other end of the world.

Print Wikipost

oneworld Multi-Carrier Awards - sharing ideas

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2023, 9:58 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by maui2012
Is there anything that says you can't travel in a loop to both the east and west of your origin? Like a circle starting at the top. For example YVR-LHR-MAD-LAX-HKG-SIN-NRT-YVR (through a mix of stopovers and transfers). Would CX multi-carrier award allow this if it met all the other criteria?
Sure, no restrictions on direction, if you can find the availability, keep to the 5 transits two stopover two openjaw quotas, and not backtrack any city for stopovers and/or open jaws.
Old Jan 11, 2024, 11:58 pm

CX agents advise me that backtrack is not allowed and a city cannot be gone through twice, no matter it is a stopover/openjaw or transit. My itinerary is:

NRT - FRA (o) ZRH - HKG - LHR (stopover) - YYZ (stopover) - LHR (transit) - HKG (transit) - KIX

Approached 10+ agent but to no avail. Really despair !
Old Jan 12, 2024, 12:56 am

What I might suggest in your case is to build your itin incrementally e.g.

NRT-xFRA-oZRH-oHKG-oLHR-YYZ//HND-KIX

Then put in xLHR-xHKG-KIX

Is FRA a stopover or transit? You might have run out of x
Old Jan 12, 2024, 2:03 am

Originally Posted by percysmith

Thank you for your advice. I will make a try later.

My itinerary is: NRT-FRA // ZRH-oHKG-oLHR-oYYZ-xLHR-xHKG-KIX

I have had another itin and checked with an agent yesterday: CAN-oHND/NRT-FRA//ZRH-oHKG-oLHR-oYYZ-xLHR-xHKG-CAN. Advised the route was valid however NRT-FRA showed "error in the system" for unknown reason. It can be ticketed if NRT-FRA is removed. Of course this route is no longer possible according to what other CX agents recently say.
Old Jan 13, 2024, 11:26 pm

Programs: AA million mile, etc
Open jaw at final destination?

"Stopover/Open-jaw is permitted once for one city in the itinerary, and cannot be the same city of the point of origin or point of destination." Can someone explain the meaning of this statement added by CX in October 2023 to the rules for multi-carrier rewards? Does it mean " A stopover or open-jaw is permitted only once for any city in the itinerary, except that the origin or final destination cannot be a stopover or open-jaw?" If so, does this prohibit having a final destination that is different from the origin, because a final destination that is a different city from the origin but in the same country would result in an open-jaw?

This is the routing I would like to ticket: ORD - HKG (stopover), HKG - SIN (stopover), SIN - CMB (stopover), CMB - DEL (stopover), DEL - DOH (transit), DOH - CMN (stopover), CMN - DOH (transit), DOH - IAD. Is this not legal because the final flight to IAD instead of ORD makes this an open-jaw at the destination?
Old Jan 14, 2024, 7:21 pm

Originally Posted by stusessions
"Stopover/Open-jaw is permitted once for one city in the itinerary, and cannot be the same city of the point of origin or point of destination." Can someone explain the meaning of this statement added by CX in October 2023 to the rules for multi-carrier rewards? Does it mean " A stopover or open-jaw is permitted only once for any city in the itinerary, except that the origin or final destination cannot be a stopover or open-jaw?" If so, does this prohibit having a final destination that is different from the origin, because a final destination that is a different city from the origin but in the same country would result in an open-jaw?
That is the anti-backtracking rule. It's describing what a stopover cannot be, not what the origin or final destination cannot be. This is necessary as origin and destination are not counted as stopovers or open jaws.

Originally Posted by stusessions
This is the routing I would like to ticket: ORD - HKG (stopover), HKG - SIN (stopover), SIN - CMB (stopover), CMB - DEL (stopover), DEL - DOH (transit), DOH - CMN (stopover), CMN - DOH (transit), DOH - IAD. Is this not legal because the final flight to IAD instead of ORD makes this an open-jaw at the destination?
Before 2020, the interpretation of origin/destination seems to be same country oneworld Multi-Carrier Awards - sharing ideas . It did not count as use of an open-jaw.

But recently, it seems to count as use of an open jaw oneworld Multi-Carrier Awards - sharing ideas .

So on the text of the current T&C, it does not say this open jaw cannot start in one country and end in another.
https://cxplanner.jayliu.net/ uses an interpretation that it needs to return to same country. I think this has been the in-practice interpretation in CX's systems too, happy to be corrected.

But even if it is same country, starting in ORD and ending in IAD is definitely OK, even if this uses one open-jaw (you haven't used any in between origin and destination).

Last edited by percysmith; Jan 14, 2024 at 7:35 pm
Old Jan 21, 2024, 8:39 am

Stating to plan my next RTW with CX, does anyone (I mean percysmith) know when would CX release award tickets for 2025 (No seats available for North America <-> HKG route yet). Or in generally when does CX start releasing seats for new year?
Old Jan 21, 2024, 11:23 am

CX Timetable post 26.10.24

CX Timetable post 26.10.24
Old Jan 23, 2024, 12:12 am

Programs: IHG Plat, JGC, Asiana Diamond, National EE
i recall it's 359/360 days depending on your timezone, but subject to blackout period.
HKG is currently blocked out but schedule has already been released because other APAC destination via HKG (CX) to NA is redeemable in 2025.
percysmith likes this.
Old Jan 23, 2024, 8:07 am

Originally Posted by Belinik
i recall it's 359/360 days depending on your timezone, but subject to blackout period.
HKG is currently blocked out but schedule has already been released because other APAC destination via HKG (CX) to NA is redeemable in 2025.
thanks! Did you mean married segments?
can you give an example route where its redeemable in 2025?
Old Jan 31, 2024, 12:06 pm

Hi,
I am in the early stages of planning a RTW trip in 2025, and would ideally like to start booking it some time in May or June of this year (to benefit from the current 10% bonus point transfer).
I've been diligently reading the past fifteen pages of this topic to glean some tips, and have been playing with jaytw's fantastic tools.

One possible itinerary would be:
  1. LHR-NBO on BA
  2. NBO-DOH-BKK on QR
  3. BKK-HKG-MEL on CX
  4. SYD-HND on JL
  5. HND-DFW
  6. DFW-YUL
  7. YUL-LHR
Several questions:
  1. It seems QR availability is limited to 120 days from now. On the other hand, I feel the (more popular) HND-DFW on JL only has availability close to the limit of the availability window (340-355 days from now). Any advice to concile both in my itinerary?
  2. Are phantom availability a common occurence using CX's website?
  3. I've heard transatlantic BA fights come with high YQ & YR. Does it happen systematically, even when booking through CX?
  4. Finally, any general comment on my route and choice of airlines?
Old Feb 1, 2024, 8:18 am

Programs: IHG Plat, JGC, Asiana Diamond, National EE
Originally Posted by Dryaan
Hi,
I am in the early stages of planning a RTW trip in 2025, and would ideally like to start booking it some time in May or June of this year (to benefit from the current 10% bonus point transfer).
I've been diligently reading the past fifteen pages of this topic to glean some tips, and have been playing with jaytw's fantastic tools.

One possible itinerary would be:
  1. LHR-NBO on BA
  2. NBO-DOH-BKK on QR
  3. BKK-HKG-MEL on CX
  4. SYD-HND on JL
  5. HND-DFW
  6. DFW-YUL
  7. YUL-LHR
Several questions:
  1. It seems QR availability is limited to 120 days from now. On the other hand, I feel the (more popular) HND-DFW on JL only has availability close to the limit of the availability window (340-355 days from now). Any advice to concile both in my itinerary?
  2. Are phantom availability a common occurence using CX's website?
  3. I've heard transatlantic BA fights come with high YQ & YR. Does it happen systematically, even when booking through CX?
  4. Finally, any general comment on my route and choice of airlines?
1. it's one of those annoying things... if they are not available you gotta take bet at booking at Y and hopefully it will open up -before- your first flight.. but imo don't count on it
2. no
3. yes, I recall JL and QR are also high
4. some of your choices are high demand route which may be difficult to sought after... so good luck
Dryaan likes this.
Old Feb 4, 2024, 7:03 pm

Hi guys, for Asia Miles multi carrier one world redemption, can I just find one world flights on aa's website for example and use that? or it needs to be visible on cathay's website?
it's almost impossible to get business class tickets even few months in advance even after using jay's plugin..
Old Feb 4, 2024, 7:10 pm

How strictly is the no-backtracking rule enforced? Has anyone had any success on creating routes that go through one city more than once post 10/2023?
Old Feb 5, 2024, 3:49 am

Originally Posted by percysmith

Thanks percysmith and all for your enlightenment. Finally my itinerary was ticketed successfully as below:

NRT - FRA (Openjaw) (JL)
ZRH - HKG (Stopover) (CX)
HKG - YYZ (Stopover) (CX)
YYZ - LHR (Stopover) (BA)
LHR - HKG (Transit) (CX)
HKG - KIX (CX)

Some interesting quotes from agents which may or may not be correct:
1. Back-tracking is not allowed, no matter it is a stopover or transit [incorrect]
2. One-direction only, either west to east or vice versa [incorrect]
3. Two consecutive transits are not allowed [cannot be verified]
4. Back-tracking on the same route in opposite direction is not allowed [cannot be verified]
5. The itinerary cannot get through the "system" for unknown reasons and nothing they can do [ultimate excuse]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.