Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Class Upgrade Bidding Initiative - your feedback sought

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Class Upgrade Bidding Initiative - your feedback sought

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2014, 3:07 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Too much travel
Is there a new Oneworld rule that one can only accumulate miles on the same airline that runs that frequent flyer programme?!

No-one is asking you to stop flying CX. We're just advocating that people stop racking up miles on Marco Polo if the op-up benefit is de facto taken away, as will be the case if /when CX moves to this system.
opup is unofficial. the extra frills that i've seen and said a few times regarding award tickets are also unofficial.

i guess its ok if you guys still thinks DM forcing award seats to open isnt worth anything. CX wouldnt mind either...
Old May 28, 2014, 4:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
I will try to answer the questions posed by the OP.

1. I have used the bidding system a few times on EY (for upgrades from paid J to F). The time frame is approx the one described. EY sets a reservation price, but it seems that they would even accept a bid below that. I found the price quite attractive. The OP specifically refers to a bidding process and such "gambling" might be attractive to Chinese. The other airlines that I know proceed differently. For example BA and AF (now) sometimes offer you online to upgrade for a set price. That price varies and Probably depends on the fare you used, and of course the routing and availability. This is a confirmed upgrade, not a bidding process. TG offer upgrades at the airport for a fixed price (independent of what you paid).

2. The process could be of interest to CX and to some pax. This is especially the case of those traveling on tickets paid by the company with a strict travel-class policy.

3. We are talking here about cash not upgrade with miles. Hence, it should be open to any paid pax, like on other airlines. I understand that the general public of this forum is biased towards MPC members, but I believe that the cash bidding process should be available to any pax. I do understand that a process of upgrade for cash is reducing the number of free opups and that would be a disadvantage for MPC elites, but that's life. CX is charging the same ticket price for MPCs and non-MPCs, it would seem odd to distinguish for paid upgrades.

4. Timing seems reasonable.
Old May 28, 2014, 4:45 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Too much travel
No-one is asking you to stop flying CX. We're just advocating that people stop racking up miles on Marco Polo if the op-up benefit is de facto taken away, as will be the case if /when CX moves to this system.
Doesn't CX benefit in this instance from hub-captives and business people who will continue to fly CX at their original patterns but simply bank miles to another OW program? Perhaps CX is banking on this fact?

It's somewhat ironic that airlines have a financial disincentive to have their fliers bank miles to their mileage program while using the same tool to encourage loyalty.

I know Asia Miles is a separate entity but its wholly owned by CX which ultimately has to bear all the miles it gives out as a contingent liability on their books.
Old May 28, 2014, 4:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by JeCCo
Doesn't CX benefit in this instance from hub-captives and business people who will continue to fly CX at their original patterns but simply bank miles to another OW program? Perhaps CX is banking on this fact?
When a pax on CX "banks" miles to another OW FFP, CX "pays" the other FFP. When the other FFP buys an award ticket on CX, it "pays" CX.
Old May 28, 2014, 11:18 am
formerly ssw207

Programs: BAGld, JLJGC, TK*G, EK-G, HH Dia,IHG Amb-PE, Bonvoy Gd, Shangrila DM
Originally Posted by JeCCo
It's somewhat ironic that airlines have a financial disincentive to have their fliers bank miles to their mileage program while using the same tool to encourage loyalty.
I am one of those who defected from MPC to other OW FFPs. I clock around 60-120K elite qualifying miles on oneWorld annually therefore I could make CX GO or DM. My trips are usually paid J.

These are my reasons to say NO to the bidding process:

1) CX is a mainline airline, not a LCC. MPC is a more formal loyalty program for the frequent customers on CX, versus Asia Miles is a mainstream consumer rewards program. The best example of this is the AirMiles program in Canada.

2) CXAM, given its consumer/commercial nature, they can partner with whoever is out there and run these bids, lucky draws or whatever marketing schemes to win/redeem miles for the masses. Meanwhile, as a MPC member, I would prefer traditional methods of attaining status and certain benefits (such as Involuntary upgrades).

3) Asking for bids for upgrade cheapens the overall experience of CX as such marketing activities are often associated with mainstream consumer marketing targeting the lower ends of customers. Fanfares is a hugely successful marketing campaign because people know for sure they can secure a ticket from Point A to Point B at Price $X, despite of its limited inventory. This encourages people to check frequently for the next round of Fanfares. On the contrary, like other members who posted, a bidding process usually disappoints most people and only a few people will win their bid, so you are generating negative goodwill. Also it can be deduced easily the "reserve price" of CX through repeated bidding attempts.

4) The attempts of further segregating CXAM and CXMPC from CX itself will turn it into what was Air Canada's Aeroplan product - a mass market consumer program with no prestige for the frequent fliers. I was an AC Elite *G for 5 years until its spin-off turned the program into a circus and I totally stopped flying AC and Star Alliance. CXAM is clearly following this path to spinoff and even an IPO.

5) Therefore I think CX can attempt the bidding marketing strategy but stick with CXAM and do it in relation to mileage upgrades (MPC members can also participate if they like). Also, why not offer paid discounted upgrades like BA on the spot? That way the customer knows he will get the upgraded seat and pay immediately, and CX cashes in.

6) Your client's marketing team aren't exactly the sharpest pencils around. I was invited to a CX focus group discussion. They bought us takeout from Tsui Wah Restaurant since it was 8pm, and asked us about the quality of inflight meals. All of us said, why don't CX have Tsui Wah do the catering?
Old May 28, 2014, 7:29 pm

Programs: American, United, Alaska, IHG Gold, Amtrak
While retired and not a frequent flyer anymore I prefer quality over frequency. I would rather buy into a more exclusive product than to have an E-bay style bidding war for seats and service.
Old May 28, 2014, 9:38 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by ssw207
6) Your client's marketing team aren't exactly the sharpest pencils around. I was invited to a CX focus group discussion. They bought us takeout from Tsui Wah Restaurant since it was 8pm, and asked us about the quality of inflight meals. All of us said, why don't CX have Tsui Wah do the catering?
why not? cuz airline meals clearly cost less than a TW lunchbox (they do cost 40-50 each! and CX Y/W def cost less than that!)

and if it's for J, mmmh......
Old May 28, 2014, 10:52 pm
formerly ssw207

Programs: BAGld, JLJGC, TK*G, EK-G, HH Dia,IHG Amb-PE, Bonvoy Gd, Shangrila DM
Originally Posted by kaka
why not? cuz airline meals clearly cost less than a TW lunchbox (they do cost 40-50 each! and CX Y/W def cost less than that!)

and if it's for J, mmmh......
Exactly! Tsui Wah food tastes so much better than CX Catering, and cheap too if done in a mass scale. Just serve the baked pork chop rice in J. It is cheap and still tastes good after being reheated onboard, since the cooking method is the same, the pork chop and rice is cooked separately and then baked in an oven. Or the beef noodles in Swiss sauce... and fish ball noodles for the J snack.
You don't need an executive chef from Tosca to figure out such simple things.
Old May 28, 2014, 11:06 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Anyway...back to the topic of bidding for upgrades.

sxc
Cathay Pacific Moderator
Old May 28, 2014, 11:40 pm

I am one of those who defected from MPC to other OW FFPs. I clock around 60-120K elite qualifying miles on oneWorld annually therefore I could make CX GO or DM. My trips are usually paid J.

1) CX is a mainline airline, not a LCC. MPC is a more formal loyalty program for the frequent customers on CX, versus Asia Miles is a mainstream consumer rewards program. The best example of this is the AirMiles program in Canada.

2) CXAM, given its consumer/commercial nature, they can partner with whoever is out there and run these bids, lucky draws or whatever marketing schemes to win/redeem miles for the masses. Meanwhile, as a MPC member, I would prefer traditional methods of attaining status and certain benefits (such as Involuntary upgrades).

3) Asking for bids for upgrade cheapens the overall experience of CX as such marketing activities are often associated with mainstream consumer marketing targeting the lower ends of customers. Fanfares is a hugely successful marketing campaign because people know for sure they can secure a ticket from Point A to Point B at Price $X, despite of its limited inventory. This encourages people to check frequently for the next round of Fanfares. On the contrary, like other members who posted, a bidding process usually disappoints most people and only a few people will win their bid, so you are generating negative goodwill. Also it can be deduced easily the "reserve price" of CX through repeated bidding attempts.

4) The attempts of further segregating CXAM and CXMPC from CX itself will turn it into what was Air Canada's Aeroplan product - a mass market consumer program with no prestige for the frequent fliers. I was an AC Elite *G for 5 years until its spin-off turned the program into a circus and I totally stopped flying AC and Star Alliance. CXAM is clearly following this path to spinoff and even an IPO.

5) Therefore I think CX can attempt the bidding marketing strategy but stick with CXAM and do it in relation to mileage upgrades (MPC members can also participate if they like). Also, why not offer paid discounted upgrades like BA on the spot? That way the customer knows he will get the upgraded seat and pay immediately, and CX cashes in.

I agree.

Such a bidding for upgrades program will quickly cheapen the airline and ultimately kill it. It will be worse than AC or UA doing this because CX is perceived to be a much better airline with premium classes worthy of their price-tags. There is a good reason why there aren't jumbo sales for top designer brands such as Chanel and Hermes such as full-page ads plastered on the media and shop windows (like Wellcome and Park N Shop or Wing On). They pitch different markets. It is not that the top boutiques do not wish to sell remaining stock but that cheapening their image will do more harm than good.
Old May 29, 2014, 1:07 am
Suspended

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B176 Safari/7534.48.3)

Originally Posted by IncyWincy

I agree.

Such a bidding for upgrades program will quickly cheapen the airline and ultimately kill it. It will be worse than AC or UA doing this because CX is perceived to be a much better airline with premium classes worthy of their price-tags. There is a good reason why there aren't jumbo sales for top designer brands such as Chanel and Hermes such as full-page ads plastered on the media and shop windows (like Wellcome and Park N Shop or Wing On). They pitch different markets. It is not that the top boutiques do not wish to sell remaining stock but that cheapening their image will do more harm than good.
They do sell them, they just dont sell it out loud. Just the same as why cx should sell their upgrades out loud. Also this is why i suggested using miles as a token not cash - people needs to slap on a value of miles before thei can compare... And to many ppl (especially low fare class fanfarers) such value simply does not exist. I dont disagree that cx shouldnt sell these upgrades- just certainly not to anyone who simply has access to cash. AM holders and OW elites would be a good indicator (disclaimer, im a ow elite n cx gr holder based in hk)
Old May 29, 2014, 1:21 am

Programs: TK-G | Accor P | SQ-G | Marriott T
Originally Posted by Cathay Boy
Just to summarize good ideas, I now amend my proposal:

1) One class upgrade opportunity. Y only to Y+, Y+ only to J, J to F if available.

2) There should be a limit of fare purchased to be eligible to upgrade. Similar to only Y, B, H, K fare can use miles to upgrade. Maybe Y to Y+ last-minute upgrade only available to Y, B, H, K, M fares. Only W, R fares can upgrade to J. J, I fare can go after last minute upgrade to F.

3) The bidding should be based on a range of price not a fixed price. For example, 48 hours prior to flight an email sent to all Y flyers saying:"Upgrade yourself in the last minute, bid between $500 to $1000 for a chance to fly Y+!" So you have many solicitors bidding $500 to someone bidding $1000 and numbers in between, and the highest few wins.

4) Should the same amount of money be bidden, the tie-breaker is based on tier. If a DM and a SL both bid $1000, the winner goes to the DM.

5) Higher tier gets "bonus percentage" in their bid. For example a DM gets 30% boost, GO 20%, SL 10%, GR and AM none. So a DM bidding $800 the system will treat it as bidding $1040. A GO bidding $900 the system will treat it as bidding $1080
I like the idea, with the few amendments please:
- For Y class include all the sub class that can earn sector or full miles, this means V class and above.
- the bidding should be closed 12 (or 24) hours before the so you will know the result before hands. -- this will also allow CX to still do ops up if still no bidders.
- I think there should be a floor or the bidding as you mentioned. Perhaps it should be at least 50% of the difference between the cheapest original class to the next class, so from Y to Y+ should be from V to W?

But I think the more important thing is for CX to first offer the product consistently. I will not bid from Y to C if I do not know if it will be new C or old C in SIN-HKG flight. Or what happen if I win the bidding to upgrade from Y to Y+ on SIN-HKG and for last minute they swap the plane with no Y+?
Old May 29, 2014, 1:53 am

Programs: OneWorld Emerald (BA GGL), *A Silver (Miles & Less), Skyteam Pleb (KLM FlyingBlue), Mucci Platinum
3) Asking for bids for upgrade cheapens the overall experience of CX as such marketing activities are often associated with mainstream consumer marketing targeting the lower ends of customers.

6) Your client's marketing team aren't exactly the sharpest pencils around.
Originally Posted by IncyWincy
On a tangentially-related note, are these the same CX marketing/branding folks who came up with the LCC-like approach of having cabin crew walk up and down the aisles repeating ad nauseum "Duty free discount! 10% off for Marco Polo members... Duty free discount! 10% off for Marco Polo members... Duty free discount! 10% off for Marco Polo members... " while holding those tacky handwritten signs?

It really is pathetic: CX is meant to be a premium airline. It's not frigging Mongkok market. All those years of positive brand-building is being so needlessly spoilt by poor executive decision-making.
Old May 29, 2014, 5:34 pm

Programs: BA LTG, SQ TPPS, CX DMP, AA EXP, Bonvoy LTT, ALL PLT, Hilton DM
If CX starts offering bids into F class I will completely stop flying CX! It is already bad enough that they overbook the back and consistently move people up to F even though it has gotten better lately.

I fly 40 paid F segments a year... about 25 of those on CX... all CX segments will be gone to somewhere else if they start bidding for F or significantly overbook J because of bidding.
Old May 29, 2014, 5:50 pm

Programs: CX Diamond (OW Emerald), former SQ Krisflyer Gold
This made SCMP today:

http://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/a...-seat-upgrades

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.