Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Class Upgrade Bidding Initiative - your feedback sought

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Class Upgrade Bidding Initiative - your feedback sought

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2014, 7:57 am

Programs: Marriott & SPG Plat, HH Diamond, Accor Plat, ex-Fairmont Plat, ex-Swissotel Eleva
I think many CX DMs are unhappy with the implementation of this, as OP-up chances will be most likely gone.

But CX has considered implementing this as they have been giving away free op-ups when they oversold the lower cabins, and they are thinking how to get more revenue.

Threats that DMs will leave CX for lack of further op-ups, will probably not have an effect. To say these DMs will switch to BA/AA for their FFP, but still fly CX, plays exactly into their hands. They can now offer op-ups to others willing to pay, and not worry about pleasing the DMs, since they still fly CX but just put the miles elsewhere. Small revenue loss (as it is not AsiaMiles), but probably the gains for selling the buy-up to better cabins will outweigh (better than to give them away for free).

I think CX regulars should actually think of ways to convince CX how to actually benefit themselves in the bidding auction for better upgrade chances. I do think CX is planning to implement this in some way or another, and non-implementation is very unlikely, unfortunately.

I mentioned that in bidding auctions, AsiaMiles could be given better value than cash outright, and people with more CX points are likely to be CX regulars themselves. It may be a good time to ask for tier bonus miles to be implemented, so that CX regulars get more miles when flying CX and comes in useful during auctions.
Old May 31, 2014, 11:44 am

Originally Posted by ZenWorld
I do think CX is planning to implement this in some way or another, and non-implementation is very unlikely, unfortunately.
Agree.

Obviously CX hopes to improve the balance sheet. In so doing it might fail to do so and might even sign its own death warrant (as many here think).

Threats that DMs will leave CX for lack of further op-ups, will probably not have an effect. To say these DMs will switch to BA/AA for their FFP, but still fly CX, plays exactly into their hands.
The point is whether revenue premium passengers (a) will stop flying CX (as much) or (b) just leave MPO. Former is a huge threat, latter not. Bagold stated his views.

Also, this necessarily cheapens CX and the gap between premium and economy fares will narrow (welcome news to me!) and so there will be downward spiral in service and product which leads to a vicious cycle, leaving CX closer to its rivals.

This is interesting in that others can also follow suit ...

I think CX regulars should actually think of ways to convince CX how to actually benefit themselves in the bidding auction for better upgrade chances.
Totally right. But this does not stop elites from being disgusted by all this. Nor does it stop CX from declining and eventually dying (which is not really our problem, I suppose).

I mentioned that in bidding auctions, AsiaMiles could be given better value than cash outright, and people with more CX points are likely to be CX regulars themselves. It may be a good time to ask for tier bonus miles to be implemented, so that CX regulars get more miles when flying CX and comes in useful during auctions.
Yes. There are other perks such as SWUs etc. Makes it even scarier and sadder ... to think that CX is following others down the slope. But if it is determined to slide down, how can others stop it?
Old May 31, 2014, 10:56 pm

Bidding for upgrade in order to earn more money?

if the person had so much Asia miles, that means he or she is often fly with CX, then why shall they keep flying with CX?
because they need the MPC and have high precentage to upgrade for free, but what about the asia miles people?
They used the miles to exchanged the upgrade seat, but they had a less changes for upgraded?
thats kind of not fair enough ,then what is the point for us to earn the asia miles?

Last edited by nicoleeeee; May 31, 2014 at 11:02 pm
Old Jun 1, 2014, 4:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by nicoleeeee
if the person had so much Asia miles, that means he or she is often fly with CX, then why shall they keep flying with CX?
Your assumption is not correct.

If you talk about AM, a person can virtually earn millions without stepping a foot on any CX flights. I remembered some time ago, there is a fiasco about Shanghai Commercial Bank (SCB) Po Leung Kuk credit card that people have earned millions of AM WITHOUT stepping into any CX aircrafts but SCB refused to honor it. I think it has been discussed before at here.

If you talk about Club Miles, then the person must fly either CX or OW partners in order to earn.
Old Jun 1, 2014, 10:18 pm

Programs: TK-G | Accor P | SQ-G | Marriott T
Originally Posted by IncyWincy
Simple then. What is really required to serve your interest and for CX to pull in more money is for CX to make it possible for you and your colleagues to buy up from economy to to next class (or even all the way to F) by paying fare difference!

Voila.

Problem solved and everyone happy!

Thank you!
this will also welcome
Old Jun 2, 2014, 6:19 am

Programs: CX Gold
I don't welcome an introduction of such a bidding system.
However, if CX proceeds to adopt an online system, I hope that CX considers a special treatment for the royal customers (Marco polo club members), according to their member status.
For example, the bidding period and requirements for upgrade need to be differentiated, as depending on the member classification.

For DM
From seven days before departure to one day before departure,
If DM pays the charge of the minimum bid and the seat is available, a seat for the requested upgrade is guaranteed at once automatically .
(Of course, the charge of the minimum bid should be beforehand exhibited for every route. )

For GO
From five days before departure to one day before departure,
If GO pays the charge of the minimum bid and the seat is available, a seat for the requested upgrade is guaranteed at once automatically .

For SL, OWE and OWS
From four days before departure to one day before departure,
If SL (plus OWE and OWS member) pays the charge of the minimum bid and the seat is available, a seat for the requested upgrade is guaranteed at once automatically .

For other passengers
From three days before departure to one day before departure,
Upgrade promotion is determined as order with the high amount of money for a bidding.

Last edited by Cathay Delight; Jun 2, 2014 at 7:11 am
Old Jun 4, 2014, 9:35 pm

Programs: CX Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Plat
CX CEO Ivan Chu said to Apple Daily today that trial bidding will be launched this month on certain CX and KA routes, and will be fully rolled out in September if successful.

Only one-class upgrade bidding will be allowed. He said upgrade bidding would be a win-win situation for customers and CX. He expects the availability of upgrade bidding seats on long-haul flights will be limited as the revenue booking would be quite full already.

Just two weeks ago AgencyGuy said it is not a confirmed initiative, but now CX is rolling it out. So is the whole thread here just a fake consultation? Would AgencyGuy and CX representatives please explain?

Last edited by hadsst; Jun 4, 2014 at 9:40 pm
Old Jun 4, 2014, 10:44 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Oh well, I guess there goes our Op-ups and our upgrade redemptions...

Some feedback to our feedback from CX / AgencyGuy would've been nice!

Hopefully there is some priorty order / multiplier for MPO members who are bidding otherwise they are really disincentivising people from pursuing status!

Last edited by JeCCo; Jun 4, 2014 at 10:50 pm
Old Jun 4, 2014, 11:10 pm
formerly ssw207

Programs: BAGld, JLJGC, TK*G, EK-G, HH Dia,IHG Amb-PE, Bonvoy Gd, Shangrila DM
Originally Posted by hadsst
CX CEO Ivan Chu said to Apple Daily today that trial bidding will be launched this month on certain CX and KA routes, and will be fully rolled out in September if successful.

Only one-class upgrade bidding will be allowed. He said upgrade bidding would be a win-win situation for customers and CX. He expects the availability of upgrade bidding seats on long-haul flights will be limited as the revenue booking would be quite full already.

Just two weeks ago AgencyGuy said it is not a confirmed initiative, but now CX is rolling it out. So is the whole thread here just a fake consultation? Would AgencyGuy and CX representatives please explain?
He's just following the footsteps of the SAR government... where fake consultations is an art.
Old Jun 5, 2014, 12:59 am
Original Poster

Dear All

Firstly, thank you all once again for all your feedback and comments on this subject. The quality, quantity and insights have been really impressive.

To quickly summarize what we are hearing:
  • There are concerns from members about the overall implementation and that is something that we hear and acknowledge
  • A lot of people were concerned about the impact on operational upgrades and that there might be less of these for members where seats are auctioned off. And whilst this is not an official benefit of the club, it is clearly something that is perceived to be very important
  • There were a lot of comments on product integrity and that by offering upgrades this would somehow devalue the upgraded class, particularly business. This could be through revenue dilution or through overcrowding the higher class cabin
  • Notwithstanding the above points, where these upgrades were offered, it was clearly felt that members should be given some sort of priority in the process

This feedback has been very, very useful in helping to shape and fine tune the upgrade proposition. The next steps will now be for CX to implement a limited pilot programme to test how this works on a selected number flights and routes. These will be progressively implemented in the next few weeks. And will look to incorporate learnings from this exercise. So for example, CX will carefully look at the number of upgrades that should be offered / accepted on any given flight and bids from Club members will be given an additional weighting over non-members.

As this pilot does roll out, there will be opportunities for members to continue contribute their feedback through this forum or other channels.

Thanks a million for all your feedback on the upgrade project and support for this engagement initiative. We are really looking forward to doing more of this sort of thing in the future.

Best Wishes

AgencyGuy
Old Jun 5, 2014, 1:08 am

Programs: JMB Diamond,NH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, IHG Royal Ambassador Spire,
Thank you agency guy for giving us some feedback. It gives me a hope that this may be implemented in a way that Cathay receives more revenue but the travellers who spend the most $ are also "rewarded" in some way for their continued loyalty. I will watch the trials with interest!
Old Jun 5, 2014, 2:20 am

Programs: CX DM, SQ KF
Originally Posted by jackrussellterrier
Thank you agency guy for giving us some feedback. It gives me a hope that this may be implemented in a way that Cathay receives more revenue but the travellers who spend the most $ are also "rewarded" in some way for their continued loyalty. I will watch the trials with interest!
^

AgencyGuy: Good luck with the what will likely be a fine balancing act that is tough to implement. But hey, we do have high expectations of CX!
Old Jun 5, 2014, 3:10 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Seems like this is a bona fide CX proposal - just got reported on Apple Daily http://hk.apple.nextmedia.com/financ...40605/18745250

To hell with loyalty - CentDM shows CX is not "long term greedy"

Not good news for me (MS miles redeemer and one of those SCB PLK cardholders garykung mentioned), sure. But I constantly expect CX to cut me off sooner or later.

I'll channel my energies to other places tho - how to score cheap J tix on PE revenue seats for parents, uncles and aunties. Secure their flights with PE, get the comfort they want by last minute bidding.

Last edited by percysmith; Jun 5, 2014 at 3:19 am
Old Jun 5, 2014, 3:11 am

Programs: BA GOLD, HILTON DIAMOND, BONVOY L/T GOLD,
Originally Posted by AgencyGuy
Dear All

Firstly, thank you all once again for all your feedback and comments on this subject. The quality, quantity and insights have been really impressive.

To quickly summarize what we are hearing:
  • There are concerns from members about the overall implementation and that is something that we hear and acknowledge
  • A lot of people were concerned about the impact on operational upgrades and that there might be less of these for members where seats are auctioned off. And whilst this is not an official benefit of the club, it is clearly something that is perceived to be very important
  • There were a lot of comments on product integrity and that by offering upgrades this would somehow devalue the upgraded class, particularly business. This could be through revenue dilution or through overcrowding the higher class cabin
  • Notwithstanding the above points, where these upgrades were offered, it was clearly felt that members should be given some sort of priority in the process

This feedback has been very, very useful in helping to shape and fine tune the upgrade proposition. The next steps will now be for CX to implement a limited pilot programme to test how this works on a selected number flights and routes. These will be progressively implemented in the next few weeks. And will look to incorporate learnings from this exercise. So for example, CX will carefully look at the number of upgrades that should be offered / accepted on any given flight and bids from Club members will be given an additional weighting over non-members.

As this pilot does roll out, there will be opportunities for members to continue contribute their feedback through this forum or other channels.

Thanks a million for all your feedback on the upgrade project and support for this engagement initiative. We are really looking forward to doing more of this sort of thing in the future.

Best Wishes

AgencyGuy
Operational upgrades are just part of it. The unpublished benefit as a diamond of getting mileage upgrades/redemptions released from inventory is to be honest more beneficial - specifically when traveling with the family. Op ups are a pure bonus but I am guessing mileage availability will suffer enormously on the back of this.
Old Jun 5, 2014, 3:48 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by percysmith
Seems like this is a bona fide CX proposal - just got reported on Apple Daily http://hk.apple.nextmedia.com/financ...40605/18745250

To hell with loyalty - CentDM shows CX is not "long term greedy"

Not good news for me (MS miles redeemer and one of those SCB PLK cardholders garykung mentioned), sure. But I constantly expect CX to cut me off sooner or later.

I'll channel my energies to other places tho - how to score cheap J tix on PE revenue seats for parents, uncles and aunties. Secure their flights with PE, get the comfort they want by last minute bidding.
only if they allow using Asia Miles.

Im surprised they did not think product integrity is important why CX stands out to be one of the top few... just because they are 5 stars it doesnt mean if they are going down the route of dishing out cheap upgrades (afterall the AA/UA etc flyers did fly a hell load of cheap MR for vouchers) the product integrity drops*

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.