Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Class Upgrade Bidding Initiative - your feedback sought

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2014, 5:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by garykung
My bet is CX is firmed to make this change. What CX is looking for is the least painful way without any big losses (minor adjustments to make flyers less angry).

In FT, any so-called rumors or "seeking for opinions" is simply a way for airlines to see how people will react.
As I said...not news...

This is the influence of FT culture - when you hear rumor, act before too late...
Old Jun 5, 2014, 7:26 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by garykung
As I said...not news...

This is the influence of FT culture - when you hear rumor, act before too late...
i wonder the background of Ivan Chu - not his CX background, but his background.

i'm pretty sure every former CX CEO knows about the op-up situation - just that most of them are smart enough not to deal with it. let your cream of the crop pax to enjoy a bit whilst you fill a few full Y fares, rather than to cheapen the entire cabin in front of row 39 (or 30 back in the days).

i guess in a way oneworld is cheapening itself by following the footsteps of BA/AA. oh what goes the saying? Bad money drives out good?
Old Jun 5, 2014, 7:58 am

Programs: CX Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Plat
Originally Posted by AgencyGuy
There are concerns from members about the overall implementation and that is something that we hear and acknowledge
To be honest this response is very disappointing corporate speak - CX hears and acknowledges but never acts based on the feedback. So many FFers oppose this (especially the PEY to J upgrade part) but CX decides to go ahead. Many of us don't feel it's a 'win-win' situation as suggested by Ivan Chu.

While it takes ages for CX to deliver proper ticketing-related IT services (and even the simplest online booking change function still frequently doesn't work), it just takes CX so fast to develop an online upgrade bidding function. What is the CX management thinking?

As a MPO member for 10+ years, this is the most disappointing change in direction by CX I've seen. I'm deeply concerned what more changes Ivan Chu will bring.

ICLP and CX - If this is how you plan to use FF in the future (i.e. 'consulting' FFers on a pretty much finalised project), please don't waste everyone's time.
Old Jun 5, 2014, 8:04 am

Originally Posted by hadsst
Just two weeks ago AgencyGuy said it is not a confirmed initiative, but now CX is rolling it out. So is the whole thread here just a fake consultation? Would AgencyGuy and CX representatives please explain?
"Fake consultation" is a bit strong, but of course, they are consulting only because they have decided to do this and want to be seen as doing their homework. Of course your feedback won't affect the corporate decision fundamentally. However, it will be received as follows:

Originally Posted by AgencyGuy
...The quality, quantity and insights have been really impressive...There are concerns...Notwithstanding the above points, where these upgrades were offered, it was clearly felt that members should be given some sort of priority in the process...This feedback has been very, very useful in helping to shape and fine tune the upgrade proposition...As this pilot does roll out, there will be opportunities for members to continue contribute their feedback through this forum or other channels.
Corporatespeak? of course. But what more did you expect?
Old Jun 5, 2014, 9:54 am

Programs: CX DM, SPG Pt, Le Club Accor GO, Shangri-La GC Jade
Originally Posted by kaka
i wonder the background of Ivan Chu - not his CX background, but his background.

i'm pretty sure every former CX CEO knows about the op-up situation - just that most of them are smart enough not to deal with it. let your cream of the crop pax to enjoy a bit whilst you fill a few full Y fares, rather than to cheapen the entire cabin in front of row 39 (or 30 back in the days).

i guess in a way oneworld is cheapening itself by following the footsteps of BA/AA. oh what goes the saying? Bad money drives out good?
The news that worry me most is Chu's statement to make CX from a "better airline" to a "better business"... Particularly focusing in cost cutting... Seems he don't understand a "better airline" will become a "better business" and aiming to make a "better business" will only results in worse results...
Old Jun 5, 2014, 10:47 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Non-discretionary revenue customers: you're going to fly CX no matter what due to CX's stranglehold on landing slots. Consider it a devaluation of benefits. Tough - blame HK's competition policy for giving even travelers down under more options than you.

Discretionary revenue customers: not going to "leave" CX, but will be a lot more price sensitive - CX will need to offer a lot of seats under the bidding process cheaply to keep their patronage. Otherwise they will go for cheapest carrier. - they will no longer maintain status with CX.

Infrequent travelling CX loyalists (my parents and their friends): news from heaven. Now they can buy a PE seat and play their standby game from the 80s for last minute upgrades. Wonderful.

Asia Miles hoarders who give CX little fare revenue (me): not sure - will award inventory also be put on the market? If yes, people like me will stop hoarding and take more QR/QF (I still feel it's highly unlikely I'll buy CX). If award inventory unaffected then I go on hoarding.

I never got an op-up on my own account - not even for my wedding with morning dress in hand. Then again I don't think I've paid for a CX ticket since 2008 - even when I pay for tickets I normally find some option cheaper than CX.
Old Jun 5, 2014, 10:56 am

Programs: Marriott & SPG Plat, HH Diamond, Accor Plat, ex-Fairmont Plat, ex-Swissotel Eleva
Originally Posted by ZenWorld
I think many CX DMs are unhappy with the implementation of this, as OP-up chances will be most likely gone.

But CX has considered implementing this as they have been giving away free op-ups when they oversold the lower cabins, and they are thinking how to get more revenue.

Threats that DMs will leave CX for lack of further op-ups, will probably not have an effect. To say these DMs will switch to BA/AA for their FFP, but still fly CX, plays exactly into their hands. They can now offer op-ups to others willing to pay, and not worry about pleasing the DMs, since they still fly CX but just put the miles elsewhere. Small revenue loss (as it is not AsiaMiles), but probably the gains for selling the buy-up to better cabins will outweigh (better than to give them away for free).

I think CX regulars should actually think of ways to convince CX how to actually benefit themselves in the bidding auction for better upgrade chances. I do think CX is planning to implement this in some way or another, and non-implementation is very unlikely, unfortunately.

I mentioned that in bidding auctions, AsiaMiles could be given better value than cash outright, and people with more CX points are likely to be CX regulars themselves. It may be a good time to ask for tier bonus miles to be implemented, so that CX regulars get more miles when flying CX and comes in useful during auctions.
Looks like I am spot on for most of the stuff, especially on the implementation.

But at least CX heard it: in some ways or another, give CX regulars more weight, at least via AsiaMiles i hope.

I think CX can offer a tier system and award its top elite more miles for AsiaMiles, and put more weight on AsiaMiles during bidding.

And sorry, op-up days are likely to be gone, and in place, auction system. So remember to put in some miles/cash for bidding.

(I actually like all miles bidding. Currently, members can only buy 15k a year. Maybe cx can sell more to elites, or increase the max for everyone, but sell cheaper to elites. AsiaMiles will be a more limited commodity, and will have to think carefully how much to bid for. Cash on the other hand, is freely available)
Old Jun 5, 2014, 1:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
This means a few things:

1. CX is targeting non-local customers. Non-local customers, like those from AA, in fact are willing to pay a few more for better experience. They don't care the locals.

2. The cost of the top-tier Y tickets will go up

This is airline survival 101 - how to make more money before it is too late.

Mark this time - it will only go even worse...
Old Jun 5, 2014, 4:24 pm

Programs: BA Silver/ows, CX AsiaMiles (not even GR anymore!) missing my GO days

I'm not fussed about the effect this will have on op-ups. I suspect it won't be as much as we think. BA have operated a form of cheap buy-up for some time (at a fixed price) and you'll still see frequent reports about op-ups there. While CX can capture some marginal revenue from this auction scheme, I suspect the universe of people who will bid in the end is smaller than they think.

My bigger concern will be award availability either for full redemptions or upgrades. This, unlike op-ups, is a published benefit (even if not guaranteed on any specific flight). Already I see a huge problem insofar as it sounds like auction upgrades will be processed four or so days before the flight. To the extent people do buy upgrades, it will cut down on availability for instant mileage upgrades on day of departure, let alone close-in redemptions. I'm generally not for threatening to leave over any little thing, but if award availability materially decreases I would take my business elsewhere.

Not that CX cares, given this sham feedback process, but if they're now willing to lower the revenue bar for premium cabins by instituting an auction process, they could ease the blow by making E fares upgradeable with miles. Other than lower award availability, I can't think of a quicker way to alienate their most frequent customers than to offer a discounted way for occasional fliers to upgrade with cash while soaking loyal customers by making us buy R fares to use CX's own loyalty currency.
Old Jun 5, 2014, 9:14 pm

Programs: JL-JGP (Oneworld Emerald), CX-Gold, TK-elite/NH-SFC (Staralliance Gold), DL-Gold, Hilton/SPG-Gold
CX started the survey about a bidding system from 24 May 2014. CX asked a marketing research company named ICLP (http://www.iclployalty.com/ja-jp) to investigate and gather the opinions in Flyer Talkers and a guy named AgencyGuy greeted and posted this thread. Then each Flyer Taker started to describe an opinion about it individually.

However, on 2 June 2014, Apple Daily broadcasted that CX's CEO had said CX would start the bidding system by a specific route from this month and he was going to perform the introduction to all routes in this September after having watched examination of the reaction and situation (I do not know whether the bidding system can be used an online or a telephone).

I was so surprised that this news was broadcasted just only 10 days after AgencyGuy started to gather our opinions in this thread. But it should be a real decision matter because it is a remark of the CEO of CX, I think.

If CX absolutely wants to know and investigate our real opinions through a marketing research company and watch the reaction of the upper grade member at the stage of the decision matter, this measure what CX's CEO showed this time should be too early. If CX is going to adopt reactions and opinions of Flyer Talkers sincerely, CX's CEO would not show this rough-and-ready measure with such a sudden development. I am suspecting that this measure what CX's CEO showed might have been already decided before an ICLP's guy posted this thread. This thread and this survey may looks so superficial, artificial and forced. This thread may make a fool of a customer, especially Flyer Talkers.

I believe that many Flyer Talkers are angry with and do not welcome this measure.

Last edited by northernhawk; Jun 5, 2014 at 9:44 pm
Old Jun 5, 2014, 10:03 pm

Programs: CX Diamond (OW Emerald), former SQ Krisflyer Gold
Originally Posted by northernhawk
I believe that many Flyer Talkers are angry with and do not welcome this measure.
^ Yes, soliciting customers opinions after the deal is already done is in poor taste. And to assume that we are so stupid that we won't realise what happened just rubs more salt into the wound.
Old Jun 5, 2014, 10:07 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by northernhawk
CX started the survey about a bidding system from 24 May 2014. CX asked a marketing research company named ICLP (http://www.iclployalty.com/ja-jp) to investigate and gather the opinions in Flyer Talkers and a guy named AgencyGuy greeted and posted this thread. Then each Flyer Taker started to describe an opinion about it individually.
The survey started way back

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/catha...t-upgrade.html
Old Jun 6, 2014, 1:36 am

Programs: CX GO, AC Altitude, Radisson Gold
Well, it looks like a done deal ! I checked with a "friend" working at CX and was told that the upgrade bidding program will definitely come into being, although nothing has been set in stone yet (i.e. they haven't got a clue how to proceed....). Something firm will be announced within the next few weeks.

Don't know about the rest of you, but SQ and NH loyalty programs are starting to look pretty decent.....
Old Jun 6, 2014, 1:51 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by percysmith
Seems like this is a bona fide CX proposal - just got reported on Apple Daily http://hk.apple.nextmedia.com/financ...40605/18745250
I'll translate the middle bit of the Apple article. Gives some insight over the future layout for the bidding process:

"Easier to obtain upgrades on short-haul routes:

"You may choose or bid on upgrades or not. For example, you can bid US$200, if we're OK with the bid we'll process the upgrade." Chu also noted NZ and EY already provide similar bidding processes, which assist in increasing the airlines' revenue. "We have spare seats in any case, passengers can pay a bit more for Business, we earn more, it's worth "playing" [literal translation]."

Chu also estimates, long-haul routes will be more in demand in the bidding process, but supply will be less "We sell most of the seats anyway. Say there are five flights a week, only two flights will be available for bidding". In contrast, short-haul Business loads are only 50-60%, so there will be more seats made available for bidding. Also, passengers cannot process two-class upgrades - Economy passengers can only upgrade to Premium Economy, Premium Economy will upgrade to Business etc.

Using NZ for example, FFPs will be invited to bid for upgrades at 7 days prior to departure. Using NZ passengers' experience, most successful bids are those between HK$1,300 and HK$2,000. Applying it to a HK to Beijing CX flight, Economy fare is about HK$2,200 (excluding taxes and surcharges), but Premium Economy is $5,000, almost twice as much."

My observations:

1. Seems like CX is contemplating upgrade bidding for non-overbooked flights - just whenver premium seats are available.

2. They want to do it for short haul, but I doubt they'll receive any bids - for those with discretionary budgets in short-haul just getting the desired flight will do.
Old Jun 6, 2014, 3:09 am

Programs: CX Diamond (OW Emerald), former SQ Krisflyer Gold
So, is CX going to offer Club Miles & Sectors for the upgraded class? That, at least would soften the blow.

FWIW, BA credits Avios/TP for upgraded class when you pay for their cheaper upgrades at the airport.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.